UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

What was wrong with Barry Windham in the mid-90s? Been watching some early 90s WCW, where Windham was very good, so checked out his Wikipedia page. After being the semi-main of Beach Blast 93, he leaves for a year, has another match with Flair, then disappears for another two years, and comes back as The Stalker. Was it drugs?

I'm really interested in finding out more about the Big Bossman and his 15 years with the top two.

He spent 5 years with WWF before going to WCW for 5 another years before coming back to WWF in '98 for a final 5 year stint. I know he was a good hand, but he seems a strange person for Vince to want back in the Attitude era.

Was he well thought of in the office? Was he doubling up as a road agent, or office staff? What were the terms behind his first WWF departure? I know Vince kept taking him off TV to lose weight, but was this some of the reason why he left?

Any stories, info you've got would be appreciated!

• Paid Members
Was he well thought of in the office?

Boss Man was one of the most well liked workers by the office in the late 90s. You only needed to see the role they gave him when he returned to see how much they valued him. It was a running joke a decade ago. Boss Man would always return and be put with Vince and beat the fuck out of Austin. Even grey dress shirted Boss Man of 2001, returned and had a mini program with that 'stupid puke' Stone Cold. They liked having him around. I was shocked they released him in 2003, but then when he fell asleep and never woke up again you could sort of see why.

Was he doubling up as a road agent, or office staff?

He worked as a trainer in OVW and other developmental leagues in 2000-2001. They seemed to send everyone down there during the Invasion angle, since there was a million guys on the roster.

What were the terms behind his first WWF departure?

After losing to Doink before doing a series of jobs to Bam Bam Bigelow and Razor Ramon on the road, he was sent on loan to the USWA to help them out and because they wanted to give Boss Man a break from TV and have him return with some impact. Like they did Earthquake and the likes back in the early 90s. He'd team with Jerry Lawler or Jeff Jarrett against the Harlem Knight (the Men on a Mission), as well as working small indies in Georgia. While he was there he began negotiating with All Japan for a few tours over there, which he worked with Musawa and Kobashi the likes, to show who the superior worker was. He was only meant to be on a break from the WWF, and was set to return to the WWF in July 1993, but that got put off for some reason. All his indy bookers were ran through the WWF and the Titan Towers staff. He even did a tour of Australia where he worked with Nailz of all people, which I‘m surprised the WWF allowed. He worked for Smokey Moutain Wrestling, ECW and all the top name independents, all while under contract to the WWF. Meanwhile Boss Man had a two 3 and a quarter star matches(!!!) with Stan Hansen and Kenta Kobashi, in All Japan. So he wasn't really needing the WWF at the time. Boss Man was reinventing himself as a work rate perv in late 93.

The Boss Man was penned in to return to the WWF to referee a match between Jerry Lawler and Bret Hart after Survivor Series 93. But Lawler was serving some hard times of his own. I wonder if Boss Man was the one who alerted the authorities of Lawler's wondering eye. So that was put off. Boss Man actually returned to the WWF in December to referee the main event of a Arrowhead Pond house show between Bret Hart and Jeff Jarrett. So it was a big shock when he showed up on a WCW TV taping to wrestle Rick Rude, because WWF officials had him returning at the Royal Rumble in 94. WWF assumed they had him under contract, but after Sid and the Bulldog left WCW, they made a money play for Boss Man and they got him. Its a misconception they got rid of him in a Duke Drose/Terry Taylor-esque clearout. He got a better offer and told them where to go.

I know Vince kept taking him off TV to lose weight, but was this some of the reason why he left?

Thats another misconception. They never took him off TV to lose weight ever. Boss Man always lost weight when he decided it would be best for him. He was 390/400 pound in 1989 and was the meanest motherfucker on the planet as the bully boy cop. When he turned face he was down to around 300, because he wanted to work a more fast paces babyface style, which he did. Fat guys were far more acceptable in the early 90s. Boss Man was taken off TV a few times in 2001-2002 because there wasn't much for him to do. Nothing to do with his weight. He was all played out and fans weren't really into him. He did have a short lived team with Mr. Perfect, which was my WrestleFest team come to life. But even that was taking up room for other workers they were pushing. Boss Man was pretty much always in decent shape during his second WWF stint.

They completely missed a trick in not turning him face and going full on Policeman again. Especially post 9/11. The cops were beloved in New York. You could have had Boss Man going around saying "you're welcome" to 9/11 survivors and stuff.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

I knew you'd know the scoop Ian! Thanks mate.

They must've REALLY liked him to have had him back in 98 after leaving, or at least had a plan for a big push. But than again, i suppose it was a lot of one-upmanship between WCW / WWF on who they could sign.

Absolutely going to have to dig up his matches with Hansen.

• Paid Members
They completely missed a trick in not turning him face and going full on Policeman again. Especially post 9/11. The cops were beloved in New York. You could have had Boss Man going around saying "you're welcome" to 9/11 survivors and stuff.

Yeah fans were up for that as well judging by that episode of Raw where they teased a Bossman face turn with him coming out to his old 'Hard Times' song to confront the Corporate Ministry. I might be remembering it with the rose tints but I recall the crowd popping pretty good when that music started.

• Paid Members
WCW were a bit sly when they debuted him. He ran into a Rick Rude match with his full WWF Boss Man gear on. His name was even on the pockets. Bunch of sly f*ckers that WCW.

They even billed him as "The Boss" until a threat of some pesky legal action from Titan prompted them to refashion him into Guardian Angel, which utterly bombed, and eventually they turmed him and he reverted to the Big Bubba character we all knew and, err, loved.

Taa for the answers. I heard Victoria was alleged to be involved with Angle a bit back when as well though I also think people said that was Jacqueline allegedly as well.

Jackie is certainly more Angles type, I'd say.

Edited by air_raid