The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

As someone says in the comments below, it sounds like marketing ;)

Probably a viral ad for something.

However, I have the facility to clean up the recording, so I'll post a version up here later.

• Moderators
However, I have the facility to clean up the recording, so I'll post a version up here later.

I didn't want to post this yesterday, because 1) Reddit was down, and 2) I hate to shit all over a thing before people have time to go 'oh that's cool, I wonder what it is?', but some audio guy already did that.

Lots of debunking here

Christ though, am I ever sick of "IT'S VIRAL MARKETING!" every single time there's something without an immediate explanation. How many of these things actually turn out to be that? A tiny, tiny fraction. It's such a smug little tick. "Can't fool me!"

The California Drones stuff of 2007/2008 was explained away as viral marketing, and to date that's the 'official' explanation, but for what? It never led to anything. Clearly I'm not saying "Real alien spaceships" either, because that's a nonsense, but Viral Marketing is such a catch-all END OF DISCUSSION. It's the 21st century version of the 19th century's explanation of things being "a prank by some negroes" or the accepted, yet never seen or evidenced, explanation of strange falls from the sky being down to mini whirlwinds sucking stuff up. The Drones stuff was just some weird, artsy hoax, but you can't have just a hoax these days, it has to be viral marketing that's so fucking vague, nobody ever figures out what for.

Well, I've wasted an hour of my life then :(

Firstly, as the guy in that link said, the sound appears to be being played from a point source near the camera. The first time it plays it's louder and with more top frequency than the following times, suggesting the camera has moved significantly in relation to the point source, or vica versa. There's also no bottom end frequencies which you#d expect to pick up even with a fairly rubbish camera video cam.

There are also indicators on the sound of premanipulation - possibly something timestrestched with a program like paulstretch or something. I tried to do a frequency match to a pre-existing sound in our library, but I think the sfx is too degraded, or as I said it's a real world sound that's been manipulated. Cool sound though, cleaned up it sounds very ominous.

So, no, probably not a marketing thing as it's been done too lofi for a production house.

• Paid Members

Happened upon the Conspirisy Channel on sky the other day. Wacky as fuck.

There was an hour long show about this bloke who was investigating a strange on the beach near the Cardiff sewage works. Bastard made his Mrs walk through the mud and shit to look at the area.

• 3 weeks later...
Happened upon the Conspirisy Channel on sky the other day. Wacky as fuck.

There was an hour long show about this bloke who was investigating a strange on the beach near the Cardiff sewage works. Bastard made his Mrs walk through the mud and shit to look at the area.

Ahh, Richard D Hall, he is a legend in this house. We have that episode recorded to sky+ and we were nearly in tears watching it.