The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

stuff like giants and giant skeletons is where I wish I hadn't slightly poisoned my brain looking too far into all of this stuff, because it's all ridiculous and good fun until you start looking into it and how it ties into evangelical Christian far-right movements and science denial, and all the usual fun stuff. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

My half-formed pub reckon is that it's something to do with the acoustics of the space, and soundwaves outside of our hearing spectrum that we process in other ways, giving us the feeling that we've sensed something, but without recognising what it was.

I remember reading about this. I think it's called infrasound. The specific frequency, which can be changed by building material and layout, acts on the human brain in the same way as a tiger growl so it sets us into fear mode, and it can even produce visual hallucinations.

Or it's too much coffee, I don't know.

Was just reading about this at lunch and thought it would be of interest. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/28/is-avril-lavigne-really-dead-the-rollicking-podcast-taking-on-the-internets-wildest-rumour

I'll be honest, this sealed the deal for me. 

"She hints that she may be particularly susceptible to them, mentioning her brief interest in the 9/11 conspiracy film series Loose Change. Then she talks to Dave Benson Phillips, the beloved children’s television presenter, who in 2009 was the subject of a death hoax."

Will definitely be listening now.

• Paid Members

I wrote about this under my old account several years ago, but it would have been deleted.

I’m not just telling the tale again for the sake of it, as there’s (as of last night) more to tell.

If it wasn’t already obvious, I’m a complete skeptic, I’m an atheist and I don’t believe in ghosts or an afterlife.

It was 1998 and I’d been seeing my first proper girlfriend for about 6 months. She had just turned 18 and I was still 17 which means it would have been around this time of year. We’d often go out in my car in the evenings, as many youngsters would do in the pre-internet age, doing laps around town and listening to music.

Depending on which car park we’d use to get some “privacy”, I’d often drive her home along the seafront as it was the shortest route to her folks’ house.

On this occasion, for some reason still unknown to me, I took a very last minute left off of the main road, and then an immediate right into a residential street that I’d never driven or even walked along before.

My girlfriend immediately asked why we were going this way, and I honestly couldn’t give her an answer. No sooner as I had responded, we both screamed and reacted suddenly by putting our hands up to our heads, turning away from our right. I instinctively swerved to the left and bought the car to an immediate halt, skidding around the bend.

Seconds later, we both asked each other “who was that?!’, our hearts pounding. We both then started looking round to see if we’d hit someone, convinced we had.

Realising there was nobody around, I asked my girlfriend what she had seen. With her heart still thumping, she just kept saying “that bloke we were about to hit, that bloke we were about to hit!”

After what seemed like forever, we had started to calm down a bit but we’re still somewhat frozen to the spot and I hadn’t even considered moving the car, which was still sat sideways on the road.

At the very moment I’d began to turn round the next bend, we’d both seen the exact same image of a man wearing a hood leering over the driver’s side of the windscreen. Bear in mind that we were driving on the left and we saw the man on the right, so had it been an actual person, they’d have had to run across the road towards us from our right. But it was very much like nothing, nothing, nothing MAN!, nothing…

A04E204A-0980-420D-916A-35368B1C4215.thumb.jpeg.9b474c26eecbcf01a2f714928375e13e.jpeg

The only way I can describe it would be like seeing a supposed subliminal frame of an image whilst watching a film, but in real-time and very much in real life.

I asked my girlfriend to describe what she’d seen, and her description of the man and what he was wearing matched what I had seen exactly.

I eventually straightened the car and started driving home again, albeit very slowly.

We sat round hers trying to explain what had happened, wondering if we’d both seen my reflection in the windscreen. But I hadn’t been wearing a coat, let alone a hood. Furthermore, we were both able to accurately describe the man’s features beyond his clothing. Whilst it happened, and we had reacted, in a split second, it was as if time slowed down and we were able to take a good, long look at the man’s face.

We didn’t discuss whether or not we should tell our friends, but we never did. It was if we both just knew it was just a bit too weird and so never told anyone.

We split up, but on good terms, a few months later. It wasn’t long after that we finished college and I didn’t see her again for years. When I did, I was desperate to ask her if she remembered it but didn’t feel comfortable to. Was it a real memory? Had I embellished it over the 25 years that has passed? Did it really happen?

Last night, she turned up at our house unannounced. She is an old friend of my wife, but they’d lost touch she’s never been to our house, so to get a random visit from her was very, very unusual. More so as me and my wife are both friends with her on Facebook, but she hadn’t posted anything in years and years.

We invited her in and she explained right away why she was there. She wanted to know if I remembered the time we thought we’d hit a man back in 1998 as it had been bothering her ever since. When I’d last seen her about 5 years ago, she said she’d hoped I’d have bought it up and started questioning herself whether or not it had actually happened when I hadn’t.

We both agreed that we had certainly experienced the same thing that night, and were still able to describe events exactly the same as each other. But, and I think quite importantly, we agreed that it just simply couldn’t be explained, and left it at that. 

In some ways, it was lovely to see her and to know I hadn’t made it up. But I was genuinely saddened to learn how she was still frightened about it 25 years later.

Edited by Scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Doing what most people do after a serious operation, stay at home.  Something like a hysterectomy can take a long time to recover from.

It is rather curious, but I think the Wales' are just genuinely shit at PR.  They felt they didn't need to justify her absence (and they're right) but then succumbed to the pressure and put out a badly touched up photo which just made things worse.

A 30 second video clip would put all this to bed, and failure to clear things up really does fuel the conspiracy nonsense.

Conversely, Buck Palace has been incredibly open about Charles' cancer diagnosis and treatment and it's made it almost a non-issue.