The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

only just looked at this thread...

that Daytov Pass incident is real interesting, it's reignited my interest in this kind of shit.

I went through a stage at like 15-16 where i was just reading about aliens/paranormal stuff non-stop, i turned into a right freaky little fucker. The X Files was like religion to me back in those days. I'll def. be having a little look into some of this weird shit from now on though.

i finally got around to purchasing Fire In The Sky, the movie about the Travis Walton abduction. I never had the guys to watch the movie back during my 'freaky little fucker' days because the core story scared me that much, it seriously fucked me up.

• Paid Members
http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-fam...-solutions.html

the Daytov Pass incident is the first it talks about, and while Cracked is a humour site its take on the incident is far more beliveable than the paranormal stuff.

For the link shy:

So there's six things that freak people out about this one:

1. The no-tongued woman

2. A mysterious orange tan on the dead bodies

3. The ripped tents

4. The hikers' lack of clothing

5. The crushing damage done to three of the hikers

6. The traces of radioactivity

The big fact that gets lost in the re-telling of this story is that the bodies weren't found until weeks later. It's not like somebody turned their back, then five minutes later all their friends were dead and half naked.

That makes the missing tongue a lot easier to explain. As disturbing as it may be, the first thing a scavenging animal is going to go for is probably the soft tissue of an open mouth, especially if it still smelled like the burrito the hiker just ate. Laying out in the sun surrounded by white snow for days also accounts for the weird tan.

The trauma and the destroyed tent points to an avalanche. Their state of undress can be explained by paradoxical undressing, a known behavior of hypothermia victims when their brains start to freeze and malfunction. In other words, it's the kind of behavior you'd expect from a group of injured avalanche victims wandering around in the middle of the night in the freezing cold.

What about the radioactivity? Or stranger details that turn up in some accounts, like orange lights in the sky? Well, there's the fact that none of that stuff turns up in the original documents from the incident, and appears to have been added later by people who just can't resist making things spookier than they are.

It's those later accounts that have stuck in the public memory, because so many of the original reports were destroyed (this was the Cold War-era Soviet Union, which treated casserole recipes as state secrets).

So none of the details on their own prove anything other than a tragic hiking accident. The conspiracy-loving public widely reject this, too busy lighting their torches and getting their pitchforks to go hunt down an, "unknown compelling force."

Reading through all the location info has just made me want to play Snake Eater.

oh does anyone remember a magazine called The X Factor? i have like 3 binders full of them things in my wardrobe, think i'll dust them off tomorrow too. Lots of good shit in them mags.

I think my mate used to get that magazine. If I'm thinking of the same thing, an image from the magazine has stuck with me ever since- of a snake that ate this man's head. Such a disturbing pic.

I'm totally gonna have to look on eBay for some copies of this magazine now!

• Paid Members
oh does anyone remember a magazine called The X Factor? i have like 3 binders full of them things in my wardrobe, think i'll dust them off tomorrow too. Lots of good shit in them mags.

I think my mate used to get that magazine. If I'm thinking of the same thing, an image from the magazine has stuck with me ever since- of a snake that ate this man's head. Such a disturbing pic.

I'm totally gonna have to look on eBay for some copies of this magazine now!

omg! that rings a bell!

• Paid Members

yeh it was a really cool magazine, thing is i was young when i was getting it so i used to skip over and lot of it and didn't read it all. Thank god i didn't throw em out :)

xfactor.JPG

that's the cover of the binders they are stored in.

Whats the best website for the paranormal shizzle?

Forum wise, I use http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...sion/index.php/

There's plenty of morons on there, but enough sceptics and entertaining folks to balance it out. Looking at the front pages to each sub-forum isn't always as riot, but the fun is in looking through older threads (unless somethings conclusively been disproven, discussions can't really be 'out-of-date). There's also an alright video and photo archive if you register.

And that wind turbine thing is impressive, to say the least! I hope some follow up information comes out on it.