The Fortean/paranormal/conspiracy thread

Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

I'm sure it's already been debunked elsewhere, so I'll see if I can find that. The Sun have their agenda this year, obsessing over a "UFO Wave" and ignoring the rational explanations that have explained away all their stories in favour of cynically trying to create a hysteria.

It appears that this is the third such video/sighting in recent weeks (Bristol, Ireland and Manchester), and it's interesting, if not at all surprising, that everyone assumes the "beam" is coming out of the light at the top, rather than a red spotlight from the ground shining upwards.

I'm sure it's already been debunked elsewhere, so I'll see if I can find that. The Sun have their agenda this year, obsessing over a "UFO Wave" and ignoring the rational explanations that have explained away all their stories in favour of cynically trying to create a hysteria.

It appears that this is the third such video/sighting in recent weeks (Bristol, Ireland and Manchester), and it's interesting, if not at all surprising, that everyone assumes the "beam" is coming out of the light at the top, rather than a red spotlight from the ground shining upwards.

It's pretty direct and brief for a spotlight.

I've always been fascinated with UFO's and aliens. Of all the things that could or could not be true, I think aliens or other life forms are most likely to exist. I think it's pretty ignorant that people believe we are the only living life forms in the entire universe. However, this does not mean that they have or are visiting us, although I like to believe they are.

Edit:- Also, aren't their like ancient Egyptian/cavemen like drawings/hieroglyphics which show flying objects?

Edited by Steve Justice

An open letter to President Elect Obama, by Robert M. Stanley (author of 'Close Encounters on Capitol Hill') asking for UFO disclosure:

http://www.unicusmagazine.com/pres.htm

It's quite an interesting read and suprisingly quite well written.. It's even illustrated with photos, although they look like a combination of fakes and photo defects.

A lot of American believers are pinning their hopes of Obama finally releasing UFO 'secrets' to the public.

I can't see it being high on Obama's list of priorities right now, considering the international banking crisis, a recession, 2 wars and the impending climate Armageddon.

• 1 month later...

It's pretty direct and brief for a spotlight.

I've always been fascinated with UFO's and aliens. Of all the things that could or could not be true, I think aliens or other life forms are most likely to exist. I think it's pretty ignorant that people believe we are the only living life forms in the entire universe. However, this does not mean that they have or are visiting us, although I like to believe they are.

Edit:- Also, aren't their like ancient Egyptian/cavemen like drawings/hieroglyphics which show flying objects?

THat would be the Al'kesh, Ha'taks etc of the Goa'uld, who use the pyramids as landing sites.

• Moderators
I read about this last night, and gave myself the fear :(

That's definitely the creepiest new story of the 21st century. I, and probably most people, hadn't heard anything about it until last year, so I figured it was just some viral story or ARG that was recently created, similar to the Indian Lake Project. What with all of the related sites being in Russian, it's still hard to verify anything as genuine, even the fact there was an incident fifty years ago, putting aside the mysterious aspects. It does seem to be legit though, and either way, it's really creepy, particularly the old photos which have a House of Leaves/Blair Witch/Indian Lake vibe. To add to the "is it or isn't it?" weirdness, I'm pretty sure that the last three issues of the Fortean Times have had featured the incident in their NEXT MONTH box, but the article is yet to show.

Anyone watching the Tony Robinson paranormal documentaries on C4? I missed last night's but saw the Helen Duncan one. The show really had a horrible tone, with Robinson believing ludicrous things obviously purely for the sake of the X-Files vibe - they'd gone so far as to throw in a redheaded female sceptical co-host - and silly dramatic shots where he'd get a phonecall and they'd drive off to a surprise new location. In the age of Louis Theroux, I don't want such silly dramatic constraints.

All in all, it was quite annoying, with Baldrick seeming to go out of his way to suggest that there might have been some truth in the mediumship, despite seeing a medium who did the most obvious combination of cold reading and Googling "Tony + Robinson" and being physically shown exactly how the tricks of seances work, with everything being explained away with facts, all for the sake of some needless sense of ambiguity. Shame really, it doesn't make the story of Helen Duncan and her imprisonment any less interesting because she was a fraud, so there was no need for such a cynical and outdated Mulder and Scully thing.

• Paid Members

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-fam...-solutions.html

the Daytov Pass incident is the first it talks about, and while Cracked is a humour site its take on the incident is far more beliveable than the paranormal stuff.

For the link shy:

So there's six things that freak people out about this one:

1. The no-tongued woman

2. A mysterious orange tan on the dead bodies

3. The ripped tents

4. The hikers' lack of clothing

5. The crushing damage done to three of the hikers

6. The traces of radioactivity

The big fact that gets lost in the re-telling of this story is that the bodies weren't found until weeks later. It's not like somebody turned their back, then five minutes later all their friends were dead and half naked.

That makes the missing tongue a lot easier to explain. As disturbing as it may be, the first thing a scavenging animal is going to go for is probably the soft tissue of an open mouth, especially if it still smelled like the burrito the hiker just ate. Laying out in the sun surrounded by white snow for days also accounts for the weird tan.

The trauma and the destroyed tent points to an avalanche. Their state of undress can be explained by paradoxical undressing, a known behavior of hypothermia victims when their brains start to freeze and malfunction. In other words, it's the kind of behavior you'd expect from a group of injured avalanche victims wandering around in the middle of the night in the freezing cold.

What about the radioactivity? Or stranger details that turn up in some accounts, like orange lights in the sky? Well, there's the fact that none of that stuff turns up in the original documents from the incident, and appears to have been added later by people who just can't resist making things spookier than they are.

It's those later accounts that have stuck in the public memory, because so many of the original reports were destroyed (this was the Cold War-era Soviet Union, which treated casserole recipes as state secrets).

So none of the details on their own prove anything other than a tragic hiking accident. The conspiracy-loving public widely reject this, too busy lighting their torches and getting their pitchforks to go hunt down an, "unknown compelling force."

I suffered through 15 minutes of the "Blitz Witch" before I gave up. Absolute tosh.

As far as Daytov Pass goes, yeah, probably very easy to debunk any suggestions of aliens or Soviet super weapons. Still a freaky thing to read at 1am when you live on your own and subsist on whiskey though.

Edited by Alexander