General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Will "Wicky Wah Wah!" Smith And Tommy Lee Jones have confirmed for Men In Black 3D. I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't want either one of their faces fucking flying at me. I'll either think I'm about to be hit by a car with both doors open, or that Father Time has come to get me. :(

• Paid Members

ThorMOVIE.jpg

This is rumoured to be a sketch of the new Thor movie costume. It was drawn by Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, and sent to Hasbro, who have the licence for the Thor movie toyline. Nobody has confirmed anything yet, but with Hasbro's announced schedule, and Chris Hemsworth brief description of what we'd be seeing from the costume, this looks to be more related to the movie rather than any of their existing toy lines.

Can't say I'm crazy on the gloves or extra strap, but it works over all, and I'm glad they're not drastically redesigning the costume despite it being something that was designed in the early 60's (although I'd have happily settled for a version of the Ultimate Thor costume).

EDIT: Rumour's been quashed, turns out it was just a 'top secret' Comic-Con Exclusive Thor figure that no one had seen yet. Meh, at least now there's a chance for something with more of an 'Ultimates' feel.

Edited by CoreyVandal

• Paid Members

And on the subject of superhero movie news I've also found this:

Vulture is reporting that Columbia Pictures is finding themselves in a little bit of a bind when it comes to filming the sequel to their Ghost Rider movie. You see in order for Columbia to prevent the rights for doing another Ghost Rider movie from revering back to Marvel Entertainment, they have start production on a new movie no later than November 14, 2010, and even though Nicholas Cage has defiantly said he wants to be on board, there are questions as to whether or not the actor's schedule will permit him from doing so. According to Vulture, Columbia is trying to get an extension from Marvel on the production date, but if they fail to do so then they may need to look elsewhere for and new lead actor to play the part of the Spirit of Vengeance.

Vulture also is reporting that they hear that FlashForward writers Scott Gimple and Seth Hoffman, overseen by their show's creator (and Batman Begins scribe), David S. Goyer, have just turned in a draft of a GR2 script, which Columbia will bring to a still-evolving list of potential directors.

I guess it just means they'll probably base the next movie on Danny Ketch rather than Johnny Blaze, and anything that takes screentime away from Nicholas Cage is alright by me.

And there's also this:

Chud.com is reporting that Marvel Entertainment is looking to do a number of smaller-budget movies with lesser-known characters after it gets through with it's current string of big-budget Avengers related movies.

According to the report, the folks at Marvel are wanting to take characters only known to hardcore comic book readers like Dr. Strange, Ka-Zar, Luke Cage, Dazzler and Power Pack, and make good movies only spending something like $25 million as opposed to the big $100 million like budgets we see used with movies like Iron Man.

This is a method we have seen used more and more, most recently with such movies like Kick-Ass which opened last weekend and The Losers which hits theaters this weekend. Kick-Ass only made a little over $19 million for its opening weekend, though many speculated that the low turn out was due to the extreme violence depicted throughout it. It will be interesting to see how The Losers does this weekend. Iron Man 2 which is Marvel's next movie to hit theaters early next month will quit possibly will be the highest grossing movie for 2010, but by no means was it made with a small budget, so I am not sure how realistic it will be to do low-budget movies with characters most people have never heard of, but I guess time will tell.

I've got mixed feelings about this one. On one hand it could be a great way to bring certain stories to the big screen that wouldn't normally get a look in, but on the other a string of low-budget, dodgy superhero movies could be enough to kill off the genre again. On another note is really disappointing to see that Kick-Ass did so poorly when the reviews were so great.

• Moderators

The two big bits of upcoming movie news today are both great and awful.

The awful is that Paramount have passed on Anchorman 2. The cast wanted to do it, there was a script, but the studio wasn't prepared to stump up the money.

The great is that Batman III finally has a release date - July 20th 2012.

The two big bits of upcoming movie news today are both great and awful.

The awful is that Paramount have passed on Anchorman 2. The cast wanted to do it, there was a script, but the studio wasn't prepared to stump up the money.

The great is that Batman III finally has a release date - July 20th 2012.

While I am a big Anchorman fan, I am kinda happy about that. I just get the feeling that a sequel wouldn't of worked.

Scream 4

scream-4-poster.jpg

No official plot yet, but it's said to take place 10 years after the events in part 3.

Has the original cast

Alien Prequel

No official plot yet, but it's said to be a prequel to the first film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

Edited by Abyss

• Moderators
I'm not suprised on the Anchorman 2 news. With Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd and Steve Carell now huge stars the budget for those 3 alone was probably off the charts expensive.

According to the director, it really wasn't. They got it down pretty low, but Paramount still wouldn't do it.

• Awards Moderator
I'm not suprised on the Anchorman 2 news. With Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd and Steve Carell now huge stars the budget for those 3 alone was probably off the charts expensive.

According to the director, it really wasn't. They got it down pretty low, but Paramount still wouldn't do it.

Is it not true that they all agreed to cut their salaries if it meant they could make the film? I think Ben Stiller was going to do the same for Zoolander 2 (which has also been axed).