General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

I saw Nightmare yesterday with my girlfriend.

It wasn't terrible, it wasn't the best horror movie ever, but out of the recent run of remakes, it shits all over Halloween and especially it's sequel, it was better than the Friday The 13th's, Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre's, et al.

There's maybe one Freddy-esque worthy one-liner that you'd expect from the later films, but the menace in how it's uttered and context mean it's more a dry humour macabre chuckle.

They play up more about Freddy and who he was before he died and WHY he's coming after these specific kids. In 1980's America, Freddy was what parents feared for their children. Now, in 2010 what parents are even more disturbed and horrified by is more prominent and the new Nightmare plays on this.

Several scenes are practically re-shot, but Haley does fantastic as Freddy and differentiates himself from Englund's and definitely makes the character more unsettling.

You can go back and re-watch the original (especially the sequels) and laugh at them now, with the crap acting and Englund's sarcastic wit, but this won't be something you laugh at due to how bad it is (Unlike the Halloween remake... Halloween 2 was just so bad it wasn't funny)

Scream 4

scream-4-poster.jpg

No official plot yet, but it's said to take place 10 years after the events in part 3.

Has the original cast

Looking forward to this. Really like the Scream trilogy especially the first. One of the first 18's I watched and it has nostalaga value for that but by taking the piss out of horror cliches.

Edited by The Natural

• Paid Members
Scream 4

scream-4-poster.jpg

No official plot yet, but it's said to take place 10 years after the events in part 3.

Has the original cast

Looking forward to this. Really like the Scream trilogy especially the first. One of the first 18's I watched and it has nostalaga value for that but by taking the piss out of horror cliches.

Trying to remember which of the original cast are still alive....is it just Neve Campbell, David Arquette and Monica Geller now?

• Paid Members

My mates just told me Goonies 2 is definately happeneing. I know they've been trying for years, but I can't find anything new about it. Has anyone heard anything?

My mates just told me Goonies 2 is definately happeneing. I know they've been trying for years, but I can't find anything new about it. Has anyone heard anything?

Goonies 2 has been on and off more than a public light switch TBH if there is ever another Goonies movie I can see it been a remake more than a sequel

• Paid Members

Goonies 2 has been on and off more than a public light switch TBH if there is ever another Goonies movie I can see it been a remake more than a sequel

Even as recently as last year they were still talking about it. Last I hear Chris Columbus was very confident the film would happen, but my mate is adiment something has happened and the film is now a definate. I'm assuming he's just got the wrong end of the stick.

• Paid Members
I don't mean Scream 4 will be a remake but the plot will be the new killer/s are remaking the old murders with a whole new cast/victims

That would actually be incredibly clever. They kinda touched on that idea a bit with Scream 2 where the first 3 victims had a similar name to the original 3.

I don't mean Scream 4 will be a remake but the plot will be the new killer/s are remaking the old murders with a whole new cast/victims

That would actually be incredibly clever. They kinda touched on that idea a bit with Scream 2 where the first 3 victims had a similar name to the original 3.

If that's the case, my moneys on the murderer bring Courtney Cox's character in order to revive her flagging career or something.

• Paid Members

If that's the case, my moneys on the murderer bring Courtney Cox's character in order to revive her flagging career or something.

That would suck. I very mouch doubt Kevin Williamson would do that, besides, how does that fit into a trilogy? Nah, they'll likely be some link to one or all of the original murders as a motive for the killings in the 4th installment with the other two continueing from there.

Back the the remake strategy though, they could take that route, but have some of the victims killed in the same manor. Imagine Scream 4 opening up with the "What's your favourite scary movie" call. Over a decade on, it'd be treated almost like an urban legend, a prank possible pulled many times. Of course then you have the boyfriend on the patio...

EDIT: Not sure when it became offcial, but Wes Craven has officially signed on to direct at least the next 2 films.

EDIT II: It's now being rumored that Scream 4 will be a stand alone film with 5 and 6 dependant on it's sucess. I find this odd since they waited so long to get Williamson back on board and only managed it when he had another trilogy.

Edited by DJ Kris

• 5 weeks later...