General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Although i had read on the ole tinterweb that because of the sale of MK to Warner Brothers (

Was it?), That they have the film rights now also? Although i could be wrong, but im sure some other company has the rights.

So a new MK movie in the next few years? I enjoyed the first one, and i even like the second one a little bit! (I also enjoyed the cartoon and live action series also).

Be afraid, be very afraid...

"An alleged plot description for the next Indiana Jones movie has been revealed.

The untitled adventure film will reportedly be Harrison Ford's last in the series and also see Shia LaBeouf return as the archaeologist's son Mutt Williams.

An insider allegedly told New Zealand website Stuff that George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have been "working on a script and it's almost there" for Indiana Jones V. The story is said to involve the Bermuda Triangle, a location over the North Atlantic Ocean where aircraft have vanished under mysterious circumstances.

The source said: "Harrison is on stand-by for filming next year. This looks like being an emotional and exciting conclusion to the franchise, with Indy facing his biggest challenge yet.

"Shia LaBeouf has a central role again as Indy's son but this will be a blockbuster made in the old fashioned way rather than the CGI efforts of the last movie."

2008's Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull grossed more than $780m (

• Paid Members
It's clearly a teaser to get fans talking in anticipation for a new game. Not a new movie.

I wouldn't be so sure...

Okay, so... Mortal Kombat. It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film. I did it as a favor to a friend. No idea yet what WB's reaction to it was. And I'm not sure how you can contact WB to push them to make it.

There is a new game in development as well though and, with E3 around the corner, I expect it'll conveniently serve a dual purpose.

Aside from the god damn harlequin babies, I thought it was pretty snazzy. I've always thought the MK universe and awesome cornball mythology were wasted on the mediocre games, so a decent movie would be nice. I didn't mind Baraka either; he looks like he's just had loads of body modification done rather than an actual monster, which is presumably what they were going for. The game references that dropped in later on started to clang a little bit though, particularly Scorpion's little speech at the end. Less of the saying characters' names out loud stuff and more of the things like Jax's office door saying "Jacks Briggs" because two of the letters had worn off.

Here's a wee screencap of the subliminal Sub Zero flash:

123xkpt.png

Edited by JLM

• Moderators
"Shia LaBeouf has a central role again as Indy's son but this will be a blockbuster made in the old fashioned way rather than the CGI efforts of the last movie."

Well, I for one couldn't care less about aliens and whatnot - Crystal Skull was disappointing for me because of bad action and laughable CGI. The story was fine. So if they can live up to what I've emboldened there I'll be happy with this film.

• Paid Members
Mortal Kombat thing looks cool. Is Jax the guy that played Spawn and was in the Dark Knight?

Yeah, Michael Jai White. He was in Universal Soldier as well, and one of the ropey sequels.

I don't think Johnny Cage would have a place in an interpretation as dark as this. Plus it gives you a high profile victim for the purposes of the story, the murder of a well liked character for the audience and at least it's an excuse to briefly include him and give him a cool fight scene in a film where he doesn't quite fit.

MK Annihilation it was an odd choice, but he wouldn't have been able to do much to save that piece of crap anyway. I did enjoy him in the first film though.

In fact, I generally enjoyed the first one as video game movies go. Respectful to the mythology to some extent but only using characters who made sense to the story they'd put together (rather than shoving everyone in like the sequel), some cool fight scenes, faithful representations of most characters, Talisa Soto being breathtakingly gorgeous, thumping cheesy techno brilliance on the soundtrack and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa playing a fucking brilliant Shang Tsung. "SAVE YOUR PITY FOR THE WEAK" *spits blood*. Bad ass. If the budget had allowed for a better Goro and they had cast Raiden better (I know some people love Christopher Lambert but he is a SHIT Raiden) then I wouldn't have many faults to pick with it.

I've always thought the MK universe and awesome cornball mythology were wasted on the mediocre games, so a decent movie would be nice.

But they're not even using the mythology here, are they? Reptile's not a stealth warrior from a dying race, he's a harlequin baby... Baraka's not a general from an interdimensional army, he's a doctor who's stuck knives in his wrists... They're rewriting it all to be more "realistic," with seemingly no Outworld, no mystic powers or warring factions. They've stripped the MK mythology of everything beyond the most basic "someone called Scorpion hates someone called Sub-Zero" acknowledgements.

And for the record while I'm here, I hate threads like this. I'd have missed this Mortal Kombat discussion were it not for CleetusVanDamme's thread, because I generally don't care about movies enough to wade into such a broad, general topic. Same goes for the anonymous "questions" thread. There, I've said my piece...

I've always thought the MK universe and awesome cornball mythology were wasted on the mediocre games, so a decent movie would be nice.

But they're not even using the mythology here, are they? Reptile's not a stealth warrior from a dying race, he's a harlequin baby... Baraka's not a general from an interdimensional army, he's a doctor who's stuck knives in his wrists... They're rewriting it all to be more "realistic," with seemingly no Outworld, no mystic powers or warring factions. They've stripped the MK mythology of everything beyond the most basic "someone called Scorpion hates someone called Sub-Zero" acknowledgements.

kind of like with the Street fighter movie were they just skimed over the source material and turned into a story about one of the American charaters, who they then cast a Belgian to play the role. EPIC FAIL!

• Paid Members

Well yeah, but none of that lends itself to a straight and serious movie. As much as I have a fondness for the MK lore, it's pretty low level fantasy guff for the most part and it doesn't work that well if you're making a movie for grown ups.

A guy named Shang Tsung is gathering the best fighters for a mysterious tournament where people fight to the death. A guy named Scorpion who harpoons people and clearly has some kind of other-worldliness about him is after a guy named Sub Zero who looks like some kind of cryogenically preserved cyber-ninja thing.

A guy named Baraka with a grotesque monster face and huge blades implanted in his arms is a pretty bad guy and savagely kills people.

A guy named Johnny Cage is a world famous movie star and renowned martial artist. A character named Reptile removes people's heads and eats them.

A guy named Jackson Briggs works in conjunction with a woman named Sonia Blade on the side of law/justicewhatever to hunt down these bad guys.

It's not an Outworld vs Earth realm war and yes, they've taken a huge number of liberties, but in terms of transferring it into a real world setting they've remained as faithful to the characters and drawn as much from the source material as you could realistically expect without it coming off as ludicrously hammy as the previous MK films (and I liked the first one!)

The suggestion that they've twisted the characters to the extent of the Streetfighter movie is a bit harsh. At least the allegiances and natures of the characters as well as a lot of their key characteristics have made it in. Dee Jay going from a good natured, affable and generally decent chap, Reggae superstar and kickboxing Champion who fights for competition and to inspire his music to a cowardly and selfish ex-Microsoft employee who does Tech-support for M. Bison is a bit more distorted than this.

Edited by JLM

Well yeah, but none of that lends itself to a straight and serious movie. As much as I have a fondness for the MK lore, it's pretty low level fantasy guff for the most part and it doesn't work that well if you're making a movie for grown ups.

A movie doesn't have to be realistic and non-fantastical to appeal to grown-ups. The first two Mortal Kombat films were hammy and cheap because that's just how they were made, not because they didn't strip away all the interdimensional, larger-than-life aspects of the characters and story. Both films could have been a lot better without taking the same approach as this clip.

I wonder what this director/writer would do with the Superman franchise. Give Kansas-born Clark Kent a rocketpack and a pair of those X-ray glasses from Inside Wrestling?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

While not an upcoming poster/trailer this article deserves a mention purely for the bit in bold.....

Sun Clicky

FIRST there was a Baby, then a Little Lady and now, belatedly, a Bride.

Eighties star STEVE GUTTENBERG says he'll be teaming up with TOM SELLECK and TED DANSON once again to film a new instalment of the family favourite - 20 years after its original.

The trio of single pals were given the task of bringing up Mary after she was left on their doorstep by desperate mum Sylvia Bennington (NANCY TRAVIS) - whom Peter Mitchell, played by Selleck, eventually married in the sequel.

But now it appears it's Mary's turn to walk up the aisle.

Guttenberg said: "Disney's developing Three Men and a Bride. That's going to be a smash. A smash hit. They're bringing everybody back for that.

"Nobody knows about it. I'm the first to talk about it."

The actor is hoping the follow-up will encourage movie bosses to reignite some of his other 1980's hits.

He added: "It's definitely time for another Police Academy. And I think they could make another Cocoon.

"They're surefire hits and I think they're good for the world. They make the world a better place and that's what it's all about."

it really is about time we had another Police Academy movie! :D