General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Moderators

Avatar looks fucking terrible. Some of the CG is pretty and all, but...who cares? In 3 years, there'll probably be adverts with better CG. It's certainly not photo-realistic, nor is it the CINEMA WILL NEVER EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN game-changer James Cameron has been harping on about forever. Plus, as every commenter on every site has been saying, it looks like Fern Gully or the next installment of Final Fantasy.

You look at this, then you think back to 2 years ago when he had a press conference to announce he'd found Jesus's skeleton, and you realise James Cameron must have hit his head right after T2 came out.

Remember that massive box-office bomb, Delago? Tee hee

Edited by Woyzeck

• Paid Members

True, but the teaser trailer doesn't really show any of the story. But in the lead up to this film the whole selling and talking point has basically been all about the apparently groundbreak immersive 3D special effects so it's a bit too early for me to write the film off just yet despite the underwhelming teaser trailer.

• Moderators
True, but the teaser trailer doesn't really show any of the story. But in the lead up to this film the whole selling and talking point has basically been all about the apparently groundbreak immersive 3D special effects so it's a bit too early for me to write the film off just yet despite the underwhelming teaser trailer.

It probably seems like people - me included - are being harsh off the back of 2 minutes of footage, but if James Cameron wants to arrogantly harp on and on and on for ten years about how this is the greatest movie anyone's ever seen, and that none of the effects will ever be bettered (!!), he'd better be prepared to show something that looks more interesting on a first impression than a jazzed up Saturday morning cartoon show.

The number of remakes and lack of original ideas coming out of Hollywood has disturbed me for a while but 2 reports in the last week have me stunned.

Firstly the remaking of Interview With A Vampire. It really wasn't that good first time around when they gave it the all star cast treatment, why would it be any better with Robert Downey Jr?

Second is the remake of Stephen King 'IT'. This does not need a remake, the made-for-tv version was fine and most of the stuff left out from the book wouldn't (couldn't) make the big screen transition. If you want to remake a King movie then do 'Needful Things' as there s a cracking story in there and a shit movie adaptation of it!

Also does anyone here think that making Castlevania in to a movie is a good idea? Or any game in to a movie come to think of it!

• Paid Members
Also does anyone here think that making Castlevania in to a movie is a good idea? Or any game in to a movie come to think of it!

While it could very well turn out to be shit, I'd like to see a movie version of Gears Of War. It could be quite brutal providing they use all the gore and horror aspects, unlike Resident Evil which was turned into an awful sci-fi film.

The number of remakes and lack of original ideas coming out of Hollywood has disturbed me for a while but 2 reports in the last week have me stunned.

Firstly the remaking of Interview With A Vampire. It really wasn't that good first time around when they gave it the all star cast treatment, why would it be any better with Robert Downey Jr?

Second is the remake of Stephen King 'IT'. This does not need a remake, the made-for-tv version was fine and most of the stuff left out from the book wouldn't (couldn't) make the big screen transition. If you want to remake a King movie then do 'Needful Things' as there s a cracking story in there and a shit movie adaptation of it!

As far as im aware isnt it a prequal there doing of this film? And i think robert downey is doign it because tom cruise said no.

Also was it Tim curry who played the clown in IT?

As far as im aware isnt it a prequal there doing of this film? And i think robert downey is doign it because tom cruise said no.

Also was it Tim curry who played the clown in IT?

Downey Jr is in final talks for it, don't think Cruise has a say in the matter.

And yes, it is Tim Currie playing Pennywise :)

• Paid Members
Second is the remake of Stephen King 'IT'. This does not need a remake, the made-for-tv version was fine

No it wasn't. It's one of those things people saw as kids and found it scary but try watching it now. It's really low budget and shitty. The acting is terrible and it's not even remotely scary. Tim Curry is pretty good as Pennywise but apart from that it's utter shite. My guess is your nostalgia is blocking out how rubbish the giant spider was. Also, I don't see anything wrong with making a movie from a book even if that book has been done as a made-for-tv movie. IT definitely has potential to be a proper horror movie of the highest quality.

Second is the remake of Stephen King 'IT'. This does not need a remake, the made-for-tv version was fine

No it wasn't. It's one of those things people saw as kids and found it scary but try watching it now. It's really low budget and shitty. The acting is terrible and it's not even remotely scary. Tim Curry is pretty good as Pennywise but apart from that it's utter shite. My guess is your nostalgia is blocking out how rubbish the giant spider was. Also, I don't see anything wrong with making a movie from a book even if that book has been done as a made-for-tv movie. IT definitely has potential to be a proper horror movie of the highest quality.

Partly correct. I did see it as a kid but still own it and enjoy it. I disagree with you on the acting front, the kids especially were excellent. Yeah the spider is tacky but it isn't Clash Of The Titans/Wild Wild West awful. However would like to know who you reckon would do it justice if it was remade, both cast and director/producer.

Ok, first of all, Interview With The Vampire is a brilliant film. Second of all, AVATAR looks like a bit of a mess. It also looks like Halo meets Fern Gully, and why do the alien things look like Brendan Fraser? It does have Sam Worthington though. :love: