What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

Outsiders vs Konnan and Rey Misterio Jr

A match I'd never seen before from WCW when there was the Wolf Pack nWo. The Mexican pairing lost and Rey lost his mask.

Scott Hall vs Jeff Hardy

From TNA 2005 with Roddy Piper as a special guest referee. Funny at the beginning where Piper checks Hall for concealed weapons and finds things on him including a fork then he does the same to Piper finding a pair of handcuffs. Jeff gets the win over Hall in this one.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching Memphis wrestling tv from 1980.

Pretty interesting viewing as at the start of the year Jerry Lawler & Jimmy Valiant are managed by Jimmy Hart and then Lawler breaks his leg and is dumped by Hart with Paul Ellering the first of several new Kings to pass through. Also some very young Eddie Gilbert, Koko Ware, Rick Morton & Robert Gibson (before they teamed up) & Bobby Eaton.

Tommy Rich is featured pretty heavily and is again managed by Hart until Jimmy Valiant roughs up Rich's mother.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2RixhQaSmiU

There is another interview in the next weeks show that isnt on youtube, thats funny. Valiant shouting in his own way to "his people" that Rich's mother is a hussy which I found funny for some reason.

And I simply dont get Tojo Yamamoto, he's small, old, has pathetic offense and rubbish at selling.

smokey mountain wrestling - bluegrass brawl 1993

Thanks for that!

Any thoughts at all? or are you just going to sporadically hit this thread with random shows?

well at that point i'd only just started to watch it

but now it has finished and you asked so nicely.... it was great to watch seeing how i only ever read about smokey mountain in powerslam back in the day. the picture quality is not great but it was still very enjoyable. it kind of reminds me of very much of wcw in a way but this was a much more violent card, tracy smothers lost a lot of blood in his match when he won the SMW title from "dirty white boy". the first two matches wern't anything special. bryan adams as the nightstalker was a complete squash match until he was DQ'd. in the main event the heavenly bodies didnt disappoint at all and seeing arn anderson and bobby eaten on opposing teams made it all worthwhile.

Rip Rogers Vs. Robbie Eagle

Winner: Robbie Eagle

Rob Morgan Vs. The Mongolian Stomper

Winner: The Mongolian Stomper

Tim Horner Vs. The Nightstalker (Bryan Adams)

Winner: Tim Horner

Singapore Spike Match:

Brian Lee Vs. Kevin Sullivan

Winner: Brian Lee

SMW Heavyweight Championship Chain Match:

The Dirty White Boy (Champion) Vs. Tracy Smothers

Winner: Tracy Smothers (New Champion)

Street Fight Match:

The Heavenly Bodies (Bobby Eaton, Stan Lane & Tom Pritchard) Vs. The Rock

Been watching WWE's Dusty Rhodes DVD recently. The documentary in the three-disc set is nowhere near up to the standards of some of the previous releases, though it is, at least, a little better than his utterly dreadful non-WWE funded autobiography. The matches and promos on it, however, are really, really good. It's got plenty of his first WWWF run on - I never released how over he was in New York for those matches with Superstar Graham (sadly, the bullrope match, which I understand was the best of the lot isn't on). It's got loads of promos, including stuff like the famous "Hard Times" promo, which really should be required viewing for anyone who ever thinks about doing this sort of thing. One of the things I noticed about the promos was that they started with very little other than the interviewer basically saying "Here he is, the American Dream Dusty Rhodes" and then Dusty gets on with it. There's also a BRILLIANT interview done with "Vinny" in an empty arena (likely Allentown or Hamburg, PA) during his original WWWF run. Got a little bit left on the second disc, and should get the third disc out of the way tomorrow.

After that, I'll look to get my ROH viewing back on track (I'm at about April 2007, and am hoping to get through to, at least, the first Japanese shows within the next few weeks), while I've got all of the 1995 Nitro shows to watch, and fancy getting through the Big Vision PWG and Dragongate sets. Plus, I've got the Highspots Flair Shoot to watch. It's going to be a busy January...

WWE In Your House : Badd Blood

The tour through 1997 continues with this rather well known PPV.

The intro music for this was actually used as entrance music for someone in the future. Can't remember who it was right now, but no doubt I'll find out.

The Nation of Domination ( Rocky Maivia, D'Lo Brown and Kama Mustafa ) vs. The Legion of Doom

Do I have to watch this ? It looks pants. :( Alright, so it wasn't bad. It was quite heated and excited actually. The handicap stuff was played really well, especially by The Nation who used their numbers whenever they could.

Mosaic and Tarantula vs. Max Mini and Nova

This was incredibly sloppy and not very good at all. I guess that it was put together at short notice, but a bad match is a bad match regardless of outside events. They tried all sorts of cool stuff and not much of it paid off.

The Godwinns vs. The Headbangers

This was actually a fine tag team match. The Headbangers were such a breath of fresh air, and The Godwinns kept things simple, and did it very well. I thought the match ended a bit suddenly considering what came before it, but that's a minor gripe.

Faarooq vs. Owen Hart

It's as if the match didn't matter and the two guys were just doing moves untill Austin did his bit. A whole lot of uninteresting and irrelevant pish put together into a match.

Los Bariquas vs. DOA

Another match that was put together at short notice. This would have been shite anyways. No surprise that it's shite here. Problem is that there is absolutely no flow. Guys running in and doing stuff and generally being a pain in the arse is all this is. I don't get why DOA were faces here either.

Bret Hart and The British Bulldog vs. The Patriot and Vader

Not a bad match by any stretch. It seems to be at half gear. There's times when the guys in the match don't seem to be in the mood, and it hurts the match. Bret in particular seems to be particularly taken aback. Decent tag action, but it could have been much better.

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - Hell in a Cell Match

An extended squash ? Maybe. It's an incredible piece of work though. Every single second is meaningful and everything they do has the crowd in the palms of their hands, and it had me in the palm of their hands too. A truly magnificent match between two guys who always knew their role perfectly. I'm trying to think of words to describe how good this is. Sensational ? Fantastic ? Fabulous ? It's a fucking classic, lets put it that way, and so far, it's my WWE Match of the Year for 1997.

OVERALL

Not a great PPV, but the main event is so good that you have to see it by any means necessary. Well, the rest of the PPV was actually decent outside of a couple of matches.

• Paid Members
Bret Hart and The British Bulldog vs. The Patriot and Vader

Not a bad match by any stretch. It seems to be at half gear. There's times when the guys in the match don't seem to be in the mood, and it hurts the match. Bret in particular seems to be particularly taken aback. Decent tag action, but it could have been much better.

Can't believe you forgot to mention the punt to that fans ribs delievered by the Bulldog. Randy Orton would have been proud of that. He didnt even make it into the ring.

I've been watching the Tagged Classics King Of The Ring '93/'94 over the last few nights. The standout here is of course Bret Hart v Mr.Perfect in the '93 tournament. Bam Bam shows some good work in the '93 tournament in my opinion as well. The '93 event of course also had the stupid title change from Hogan to Yokozuna. Its stupid not because of the change, but how it happened (a "photographer tried to take a pic of the hulkster and when he did the camera "exploded" into Hogan's face). Lawler attacking Hart during his crowning ceremony lead to their feud so that was a high point as well.

The '94 event I haven't watched all of yet. Have reached the first semi of the tournament. The title match was well put together with Michaels and Neidhart adding an interesting dimension on the outside. Apart from this it isnt any better than the '93 event.

Archived