What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stan Hansen vs. Kenta Kobashi - 07/07/1990

Again, I'm not particularly impressed with a Stan Hansen match. He plays the big rough guy pretty well, and basically just throws Kobashi around when he gets the chance. He gave Kobashi far too much offence in this match though, as I never believed for a second that Kobashi had a chance of winning, even with all of the control that he had. What resulted was a match which didn't really achieve much.

Terry Gordy vs. Stan Hansen - 17/07/1990

I wasn't buying what they were selling here. Granted the match had a pretty simple story about it, and things got kind of interesting when Steve Williams came down to mend his partner. As usual with the US guys though, the match was just lacking something.

Akira Taue, Masa Fuchi and The Mighty Inoue vs. Tsuyoshi Kikuchi, Mitsuharu Misawa and Toshiaki Kawada - 31/08/1990

This match is clipped to a point late in the match, but what we see from it is fast paced goodness. Liked the double teaming of Misawa and Kawada. Wouldn't be fair to comment on it outside of that.

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Kenta Kobashi - 31/08/1990

Clipped. It's still a terrific match to watch. Unlike previous matches from Kobashi against guys like this, you had a real sense that Kobashi actually had a chance. His rise in AJPW continues as Jumbo's, on this performance, doesn't seem to be far from coming to a close.

Stan Hansen vs. Steve Williams - 01/09/1990

A lot more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. A battle between two men who were clearly not willing to give an inch in order to win the battle. Also some nice wee stuff from earlier in the match coming into play later when it was almost forgotten. Steve Williams is someone who I'm going to like by the looks of things.

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Mitsuharu Misawa - 01/09/1990

I was worried when the first match never lived up to the hype, but my god, this might be one of the best matches I have ever watched. It just told an amazing story, with Jumbo getting increasingly desperate with Misawa who was clearly more up for a fight than he suspected. Miles and miles better than their first match, and a match which I can only describe as a must see.

• Paid Members

I watched Unforgiven 1999 last night - a completely blah undercard, but one of my favourite main events:

6 Pack Challenge for the vacant WWF Title

HHH vs Mankind vs British Bulldog vs Kane vs Big Show vs The Rock Special Enforcer: Stone Cold Steve Austin

The reactions to all competitors was incredible. The match itself was entertaining, with Austin guest commentating for most of the match. The finishing sequence was thrilling, with Rock coming within milliseconds of winning. The match had the correct result at the time, and a lead in to the next months main event.

Top Stuff. (Also, HHHs physique looked much differant than it does today)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching Queens of Chaos at the moment, and shit, it's frustrating.I'm only two matches in, and I'm pissed off with the fans already. In the first match - Rebecca Knox v Skye, which wasn't very good, partly because Skye was also wrestling with her silly schoolgirl outfit she was encouraged to wear by the promotors - there was an audible "show your tits" chant, and in Erin Angel v Jersey the crowd chanted about Angel allegedly having a fat arse, even though she clearly doesnt - it's just in comparison to the petite Jersey.I might watch the rest of the show on mute.

If this is the very first QOC DVD, Kid Kash is the absolute highlight in his interactions with Nikita.
Well, I finished the whole thing off, and I found it to be a complete disappointment.There wasn't one strong match on the card, Sumie Sakai seems to have the same match all the time, and Erin Angel's elimination during the Rumble at the end was almost as terrible as Traci Brooks throwing herself out during Sacrifice's makeover battle royal/ladder/match/head shaving escapade.Sweet Saraya looked like she suffered a nasty back prang during the match thanks to a move from Nikita, but said move was edited out.That's the second QOC DVD I've bought, and the second time I've felt like it wasn't worth the money. I refuse to be fleeced for a third time.

Yesterday I watched NJPW Circuit Brave 27.04.08 which was highlighted by a really enjoyable IWGP Heavyweight Title match between Nakamura and Muto and an excellent NJPW vs Zero 1 tag match between the teams of Tanaka/Otani and Kanemoto/Taguchi.I also watched RoH Eye of the Storm which I also thoroughly enjoyed. Go Shiosaki and Necro had an intensely stiff match, Danielson and Kevin Steen had a couple of really good matches and I also really liked Aries/Generico. The non title matches were quite weak but with half the roster being absent due to bad weather that was to be expected as all the mid/top card talent who showed up were put in the tournament.

• Paid Members

Well, i am a teacher and my lessons have been canceled today... niceJust sat down to watch the Bam Bam Bigalow shoot, again.Anyone who is a shoot fan and has not seen it, i suggest giving it a watch as I personally think its great. He doesn't hold back, and talks about WWF, ECW & Japan. He, like many others is not a fan of Vader, and talks about Scott Hall showing up at ECW.I picked up three, 'Super Star USA Championship Wrestling' videos from a charity shop yesterday, so i may give them a watch later.

• Paid Members

I watched the first disc of the Bret Hart Hall Of Fame special from WWE 24/7 last night. Really really good. Has 2 full matches, Harts/Bulldogs from MSG in 1985 and Hart/Perfect from SummerSlam 1991, plus extended highlights of the Austin match at WM 13, the finishes from other key matches and some footage from his DVD. Then runs his Hall Of Fame acceptance speech which apart from the blatant lie he tells to make himself feel better about turning up, is absolutely the most fantastic, gripping half hour of wrestling television there is, in my (Bret-infatuated) opinion. There isn't a better 90 minutes of DVD out there anywhere.Can't wait for Disc 2.

Watching Rumble stuff just now. Couldn't find the actual Rumble match from 1991. Shame.

The Orient Express vs. The Rockers - WWE Royal Rumble 1991

I seen this for the first time not too long ago. Just basically repeating my initial thoughts on it. If this match happened these days, it'd be adored. The pace for the match is furious and there's some pretty nifty sequences, all topped off by a brilliant and innovative ending.

The Barbarian vs. The Big Boss Man - WWE Royal Rumble 1991

This was one of the matches that made me think "ah crap". Dedication to the cause keeps me going, and if I get some more pleasant surprises like this as a result, then I'm more than happy to keep going. The commentators say that this is a big match, but both men beat the crap out of the other, and you have a real sense of fight from both guys. Once both guys survived the big moves, it took a little bit of smart work from the other to get the job done. Good match.

Sgt. Slaughter vs. The Ultimate Warrior - WWE Royal Rumble 1991

Crap match, mainly dominated by the goings on outside, as the title match plays second fiddle to the antics of Savage and Sherri. This match is really quite poor anyways.

The Orient Express vs. The New Foundation - WWE Royal Rumble 1992

Far from repeating the trick of the previous year's opener, this match is actually tedious at times, and nowhere near as good as some people have made it out to be. It's great fun when Anvil is in there because he just tosses the Express around. They have the match pretty two sided again, but without the pace and the originality of the match with The Rockers it's lacking.

The Mountie vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper - WWE Royal Rumble 1992

This match is the very definition of the term "extended squash". Piper just obliterated Mountie and beat him from pillar to post. Mountie must have gotten about 30 seconds worth of offense in this match.

The Beverly Brothers vs. The Bushwackers - WWE Royal Rumble 1992

Dire stuff. Beverly Brothers were just completely devoid of any sort of character here, while Bushwackers were just as bad as I remember them. Most of the stuff just looked horrible and there was way too much stalling going on.

The Natural Disasters vs. The Legion of Doom - WWE Royal Rumble 1992

Solid tag match, but you'd expect that from these two teams. I forgot how quick Animal was when he came off the ropes. The ending couple of minutes made the Disasters look too weak considering how indestructable they were most of the time. Far too dominant from the tag champs.

The Royal Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble 1992

Every bit the classic that people have touted it as. The first time I've watched this match in years, and I was in awe at the entire thing. The booking of Ric Flair was especially brilliant. Never backed down. Never hid. Always took the offense to the opposition even when he didn't necessarily want to be in there with them. He deserved the match. Also the pop Sid gets for eliminating Hogan is HUGE. What happened there ?

• 4 months later...

Watched this collection last night.

Ric Flair vs. Mr. Perfect - WWE Invasion of the Body Slammers

Pretty solid match. They would have a better match at some point in the future, but this is still enjoyable as it's still Mr. Perfect and Ric Flair, and they don't seem to be above putting everything in there. The commentary is also strangely upbeat and enjoyable, as Heenan tries and fails to be nice.

IRS vs. Scott Steiner - WWE RAW 1993

The match was boring. Worth watching for a couple of major botches from IRS, and then there's a pretty funny ending. Well, I found it funny.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Jeff Jarrett - WCW Nitro 09/12/1996

The pace of the match wasn't up to much, but it was build perfectly and was actually a decent effort. Jarrett in particular looked really good in control, while DDP has bags of charisma at this point.

Steven Regal vs. Psychosis - WCW Nitro 16/12/1996

When Psychosis is the best thing in a Regal/Psychosis match, you have problems. The fans were way into this, on their feet for all of the big nearfalls, and their reactions of dismay when Regal kicked out of movies was brilliant. Regal tries his best to suck the life out of this thing, but he doesn't succeed. Entertaining enough match.

Vader vs. Razor Ramon - WWE In Your House : Good Friends, Better Enemies

I didn't expect something as good as this. Ramon seemed to be fighting for his life out there, doing almost everything out of desperation, while Vader was as scheming and as brutal as ever. A really good match.

Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels - WWE In Your House : Good Friends, Better Enemies

Diesel gives the performance of a lifetime in this one as the "big nasty bastard", and they certainly don't come much nastier. Just when you think he can't be anymore of a prick, he goes and just shows that he CAN be. HBK does his usual "bump like a maniac" job for the big guy, but it's Diesel that makes this great.

• Paid Members

Downloading torrents of those WWE Old School shows from WWE 24/7. Good stuff. The show I particularly like, at the minute, is one from the Boston Gardens in 1986. A sweet Santana - Harley Race main event match is probably the best one.

Steven Regal vs. Psychosis - WCW Nitro 16/12/1996When Psychosis is the best thing in a Regal/Psychosis match, you have problems. The fans were way into this, on their feet for all of the big nearfalls, and their reactions of dismay when Regal kicked out of movies was brilliant. Regal tries his best to suck the life out of this thing, but he doesn't succeed. Entertaining enough match.

Was that Psychosis/Regal match on DVD, Haraga, or has it popped up online somewhere? I'd quite like to see it.I watched this weeks episode of Florida Championship Wrestling today. Starts off badly with a terrible Sheamus O'Shaughnessy vs. Ricky Ortiz match, though Sheamus does a nice interview afterwards. Evan Bourne vs. Manu isn't very good either. There's a six man tag that was semi-decent, and involved another UK guy, Jack Gabriel. Main event was an all right match that saw Eric Perez and Eddie (Primo) Colon beating Drew McIntyre and Stu Sanders for the Florida Tag Championship. No Jack Swagger this week, which was a disappointment, but it was good to see the Briutish guys even if the majority of the wrestling was pretty poor.

Archived