What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im watching for the second time in my life since it was released and i bought it on VHS Tape beyond the mat.

Watched some of the matches on the CZW New Year, New Oppertunities show.

Lucky vs. Ryan McBride vs. Great Blazini vs. Cloudy vs. Drew Gulak - Aerial Assault Match

This is exactly as billed. Five guys going out and doing mental, mental things. Blazini and McBride had some good exchanges in this, and made me want to see a singles match with them. Lucky does a spot which probably meant certain death for him, and the other guys hold their own to make this an enjoyable match. You don't get much in the way of mat work and stuff in this, even with Gulak in there, but if you like spotfests, you'll love this.

Hallowicked vs. Jigsaw

Kinda slow and boring for a lot of it, but the match builds and builds into a decent match. Jigsaw is someone who has always bored me, but he definately showed me something in this match. I've always liked Hallowicked. The final big spot is brilliant, and actually kinda new, even by CZW standards.

Scotty Vortekz vs. Danny Havoc - Ultraviolent Ladder Match

This wasn't that good, but the three big spots are always worth seeing. Both of these guys have a willingness to take a lot of punishment, but you could tell there was some holding back here. The spot with the ladder bridge will have most people cringing. Outside of the spots, nothing really happened.

Toby Klein vs. Necro Butcher

I'm a mark for both guys, so this match appeals to be greatly. Both guys, as you'd expect, bring the hard hitting. Klein in particular seems determined to break a part of Necro's face. Not as good as I was hoping for, but you can't have it all.

JC Ryder vs. Cheech vs. Andy Sumner

Sumner's freak like strength continues to amaze me. Cheech continues to annoy me by being one of the worst wrestlers on earth, and Ryder is Ryder. Solid enough three way, but most of the action was meaningless, and the guys only seemed to care when it came down to the final stretch.

Drake Younger vs. Winner of Ladder Match

Craaaaaaazy match from these two guys, but with an utterly shite ending. The two guys just went out and put each other through every bit of hell that they could possibly conjure up, and then some stuff that they SHOULDN'T conjure up. Basically, it's like any good Younger match.

Chris Hero vs. Justice Pain

What a boring, dull main event. Neither guy seems interested.

I've missed some stuff, as I only went back and watched the matches I was interested in. There's some good stuff on this DVD, and the opening match is worth a look.

I went back to watch some CHIKARA, and most of the matches from the International Invaders 2007 Night One DVD.

Alex Payne vs. Tim Donst

A little too basic to be anything more, but the guys put on a decent little match. Tim Donst is someone who I'm going to keep an eye on, as I've yet to see him in a bad match. Payne didn't look too bad, but he was a bit generic and bland.

Shayne Hawke vs. Jigsaw

I'm not hot on Jigsaw. Not sure about this Shayne Hawke fellow. Although he's irritating enough to make me hate him. That's a good sign. What's not a good sign is that this match is pretty boring.

The Olsen Twins and Brodie Lee vs. The Colony

Another match which is on the thumbs in the middle territory, mainly thanks to the two teams not going over the top with big moves, keeping everything simple and just telling a decent story through the match. Expected a little better from the match, but not too many complaints from me.

Akira Raijin vs. Claudio Castagnoli

This match was pretty messy for the most part. If there was more understanding, this match would have been much better than it is. However, it's still a good match which definately gets pleasing eventually. Takes a while to get to that stage mind you.

Pac vs. Ricochet

Lots of cool stuff here, as you'd expect from two guys like this. They had a low ceiling, so they compensated with some handsprings and assorted Standing Moonsaults. Better than I was expecting.

Eddie Kingston vs. Brute Issei

Another thumbs in the middle for this show. The match is pretty decent, as the two guys mesh a lot quicker than Claudio and Akira did, but at the same time, the match was too short, and the finishing sequence seemed tacked on as a result.

Kings of Wrestling vs. Las Chivas, Equinox and Lince Dorado

This match is decent, but it never really goes into a higher gear. There's nothing wrong with it, even if Taylor is unbelievably annoying in this one.

Team FIST vs. Los Ice Creams - CHIKARA International Invaders Weekend Night One 2007

I like Los Ice Creams already. The match on the whole is very entertaining. The last fall in particular is very well done. Is it just me, or has Icarus added the flab ?

Anyways, I've missed two matches I think. One of 'em, I can't even remember, and U.S.Ape vs. Moscow which was decent comedy.

Royal Rumble 1992just reminds me how much ive always hated Gorilla Monsoon's commentary

Agreed - to an extent.If it wasn't for Monsoon's commentry in that PPV however, then perhaps it wouldn't also be the PPV that marks Bobby Heenan's finest work.:cool:

King of the ring 1994, with the WORST guest commentator ever, Art Donovan. I have no idea who he is and he sounds drunk.

:laugh: He was superb.I remember a part of the show when he was wittering on to Gorilla Monsoon and all Gorilla said back to him was "sorry art i cant hear you" :laugh: Gorilla looked legit pissed off with him a bit later in the show aswell.

• Paid Members

King of the ring 1994, with the WORST guest commentator ever, Art Donovan. I have no idea who he is and he sounds drunk.

:laugh: He was superb.I remember a part of the show when he was wittering on to Gorilla Monsoon and all Gorilla said back to him was "sorry art i cant hear you" :laugh: Gorilla looked legit pissed off with him a bit later in the show aswell.
The bit I always remember is when Luger comes down during the tag title match (Think it was Headshrinkers v Yoko/Crush). Anyway Art then had to ask who the guy with the American flag is. (This was when Luger had been pushed to the moon for the past 12 months and was probably one of the top two guys in the company, along with Bret)

Eddie Kingston vs. Tim Donst I and II.The first match had an air of inevitability in it, due to Eddie Kingston being the badass taking on Donst for the first time. The match was still okay, so I wasted no time finding match two.Minutes later, we're off, and I'm watching one of the most compelling matches I've seen from CHIKARA to date. Infact, it's probably the most compelling. Both guys did their jobs absolutely perfectly, and I was right behind Tim Donst 100%. This is the best Eddie Kingston match I've seen as well. He wasn't willing to take chances with the kid, but at the same time, made mistakes to give Donst chances.Both matches complement each other well, so I'd definately have to recommend both of them, even if I did think the first match was merely okay.

• Paid Members

How much does dat guy weigh? :laugh:

Going to 1989 in AJPW now. I'll try and watch as much stuff from AJPW from this point to the late 90s as I can get a hold of. Needless to say, I'm enjoying it right now.

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Genichiro Tenryu - 05/06/1989

Oh, sweet mercy, that match was beautiful. Those two guys just went out there and had an absolute war. Unlike the previous matches I was watching, I was completely into the story these two guys were telling out there. I found myself leaving my seat a couple of times near the end. Reactions like that to a match rarely happen to me these days. The last time was when Falcon won the BattleZone match around this time last year.

Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada - 01/07/1989

As you'd expect, these two guys aren't quite where they would be a few years later. Pretty good match though. It's kept pretty basic, and it builds nicely to a finishing stretch that can't surely be accused of being overdone. You can certainly see the potential for better matches in the 10+ minutes that they wrestle.

Jumbo Tsuruta and Kenta Kobashi vs. Genichiro Tenryu and Stan Hansen - 15/07/1989

It's hard not to love Kenta Kobashi here, and the Budokan clearly agreed with me. Whenever he was in the ring, the place was completely molten. The match was fascinating because of Kobashi as well. I know I said above that he's not quite where he'd be, but by the looks of things, he's not far off it. Tenryu and Hansen are brilliant as the bullies as well.

Jumbo Tsuruta and Kenta Kobashi vs. Yoshinari Ogawa and Genichiro Tenryu - 19/08/1989

Ogawa was as green as the grass at this point, making three or four pretty big botches. The fans bought into him at the start, but they sort of fell off of him, and it's hard to argue with them. The rest of the guys are as solid as usual, and there's also some nice interaction from the teams including a very odd spot early in the match.

Kenta Kobashi vs. Johnny Ace - 02/09/1989

That match was really good again. Took a while to get going though. I thought the match was a bit long for what they were going for, but at the same time, they used the time they had really well and built the match good.

Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Terry Gordy - 02/09/1989

The first few minutes of this match were incredibly tedious to me. It lost me around the third Powerbomb attempt, and never got me back for a while. It got me back at Tenryu's first Lariat, and I'm actually glad, because it's not all bad. It's probably the worst of the AJPW matches from around this time that I've seen so far. The above matches being the others I've seen.

Archived