What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just loved the fact that Bret wasn't intimidated by Undertaker at all and just methodically set to work taking him apart throughout the match.

The problem is that it felt like they had this exact same match at the Royal Rumble in 1996. I'm almost afraid to watch their match from One Night Only incase it turns out that it's exactly the same. I bloody well hope not.

WWE In Your House : Ground Zero

The main event of Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker should be a good one. I have no idea whatelse is on the card. I'd imagine that Pillman vs. Goldust was on this show. There's also minis and light-heavyweights according to Vince McMahon.

This is also the longest IYH PPV that I have watched to date, meaning that there is plenty of room for some right pish.

Brian Pillman vs. Goldust

Goldust is probably one of the more reliable guys at this time for a heated match, as he brings the hate from bell to bell every time, and this is no exception. Pillman brings the maniacal tendencies. It's a decent opener, but it slows down at times with Pillman in control, and it's clear from this match just how far he had fallen. Goldust had enough fire for the both of them though. The crowd's absolutely horrified reaction to the win is priceless, as is Marlena's.

Brian Christopher vs. Scott Putski

This is what the Lightheavyweight Division became. The match didn't really have the chance to get going because of the ending of the match. It didn't actually look like it was going to be too shabby when it ended though.

Savio Vega vs. Faarooq vs. Crush

The match certainly did not justify the fued, which I remember enjoying quite a lot. "Bowling shoe ugly." would be the phrase that JR should have used for this. Just a crap match.

El Torito vs. Max Mini

Decent action to be had here, and it's a shame that Max Mini had to resort to comedy in the middle of the match. The comedy was actually good fun. The fans were right behind what these guys were doing. Mini in particular wowed the crowd with some amazing offense. I know this might sound unfair, but I expected absolutely nothing from this match and I ended up being greatly entertained by it.

The Headbangers vs. The Godwinns vs. Owen Hart and The British Bulldog vs. Legion of Doom

I really don't like tag matches with this many people. In the early stages, only the presence of Hart and Bulldog could make the match watchable, as everyone else just did a whole lot of wandering about, and nothing really happened. When the first elimination comes, things begin to take shape with the three remaining teams not doing badly. In the end, it's a decent match.

Bret Hart vs. The Patriot

This actually built and built into quite the fun wee match. It did start a bit dull, but both guys seemed determined to work their arses off and deliver something here and they certainly did that. It even got to a point where The Patriot looked like a real contender for the title.

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker

There are many things that should never be done. Pissing off The Undertaker around this time definately has to be one of them. The crazy beating that HBK takes at the start is brilliant and whenever it stops, you just want to see it continue again. It all gets a bit tedious when the DX boys hit the scene though, although you can understand why this was going on. Doesn't mean I have to like it though. The match itself was pretty good though, and this is including the massive brawl at the start.

OVERALL

Surprise surprise, this is another decent PPV from 1997. The three way match is the only one which is actively bad, and there's actually three good fun matches on there. I'd recommend giving this one a watch if you're given the chance.

• 2 weeks later...
The Hart Foundation vs. Team USA

I'm exhausted after that match. Just insane stuff, from the crowd heat to the hell breaking loose at every oppertunity. This was a war between the two teams. Vince : "Have you ever witnessed anything like this before ?". Not often, I have to admit that.

I just watched this one for the first time in about 10 years. I feared it maybe wouldn't be as enjoyable as I remembered but it really was.

Pillman looked like he was having the time of his life out there, Bulldog & Owen were super-sharp at the tops of their games, Bret was god-like to the Calgary crowd, and where else would you ever hear chants of ANVIL! ANVIL! ANVIL!"?!?

One thing I noticed for the first time on this viewing was Owen winning the match by doing a simple roll-up on Austin while Stone Cold was distracted by the ringside fans.

This was the same finish a month later at SummerSlam with the roles reversed and Austin pinned Owen in the same fashion. That would have been good booking, except it wasn't the booked finish.

As Haraga mentioned, the hard camera was actually shaking at various points. That showed how incredible the crowd was that night and it was deafening throughout the main event.

Those were the days.

I'm exhausted after that match. Just insane stuff, from the crowd heat to the hell breaking loose at every oppertunity. This was a war between the two teams. Vince : "Have you ever witnessed anything like this before ?". Not often, I have to admit that.

I just watched this one for the first time in about 10 years. I feared it maybe wouldn't be as enjoyable as I remembered but it really was.

Pillman looked like he was having the time of his life out there, Bulldog & Owen were super-sharp at the tops of their games, Bret was god-like to the Calgary crowd, and where else would you ever hear chants of ANVIL! ANVIL! ANVIL!"?!?

One thing I noticed for the first time on this viewing was Owen winning the match by doing a simple roll-up on Austin while Stone Cold was distracted by the ringside fans.

This was the same finish a month later at SummerSlam with the roles reversed and Austin pinned Owen in the same fashion. That would have been good booking, except it wasn't the booked finish.

As Haraga mentioned, the hard camera was actually shaking at various points. That showed how incredible the crowd was that night and it was deafening throughout the main event.

Those were the days.

Those were the days indeed. I love this match, but I havent watched it in a while. Its sad to think that four of the people involved are now dead and two are physical wrecks. The crowd was shit hot, the anti american feeling certainly helped, but it just summed up where the business was headed at the time. The match, IMO, has aged perfectly to the point were you could watch it now and it doesnt seem old at all and I dont think it ever will.

Now enough of me talking, I'm off to watcht this match again....

IWC: The Steel City Con DVD review

events held on October 25th and 26th 2008.

The 25th October show is built around first round matches for the 16 man tournament to crown a new IWC champion.

Michael 'the bomber' Facade vs 'balls hot' Troy Lords

Awful opening match.

'Fabulous' John McChesney vs Vendetta

John McChesney is a babyface once again. Pretty half hearted match, some very weak looking blows and a plodding pace. Terrible ending where Vendetta eats a slow superkick that he saw coming. Wow, I regret buying this DVD so far.

Justin Idol vs Shima Xion

What is going on tonight? Shima Xion looked tremendous, looked like he put on yet more weight from when I last saw him, and the hair is now shaved down to grade 3. The in ring action didn't look so great though. While it was better then the 1st 2 matches, it still absolutely lacked intensity and drama. The absolutely dead crowd (save for a few claps) seem completely uninterested. Shima tried to get fired up, but it feels extremely in-genuine and fails to engage the subdued fans. Idol took 2 good landings on his head (so it looked) one from a reverse rana and the other for the finish, a poor looking Diamond type cutter from Xion (his fault I would say)

OK, off to watch a movie with my parents. Next match I will get to see Sami Callihan for the first time as he takes on Super Hentai. Lets hope they turn it up.

Sami Callihan vs Super Hentai

My first impression of Sami is that his singlet looks like a woman's swimsuit. As he started wrestling though, I rather liked what I saw, and that wasn't much. A short match which gave me a nice first impression of Callihan. He was right in to his character, which included some nice touches like putting the mask strings of Hentai in his mouth while dragging him up. Good energy, and nice to see a match where the participants didn't acknowledge the dead crowd in a futile attempt to elicit a caring reaction. Hentai doesn't really do much, which is a shame because when you see him he has an impressionable build and physique. Callihan wins with a high angle back suplex which folds Hentai up, and Sami follows through with a pin.

Raymond Rowe vs Shane Taylor w/J-Rocc

Shane Taylor is a 300 pound black guy, who I haven't heard of until now. I am informed by commentator Joe Dumbrowski that he is the next hired gun employed by J-Rocc, who had previously enlisted the help of Jason Bane to try and beat his former partner, Raymond Rowe. Shane Taylor holds his dominance with assistance from J-Rocc at ringside who baits Ray Rowe in to an attack and then takes a couple of cheap shots. While the slow pace was appropriate here due to Taylor's size, lack of physical fitness and Ray Rowe's competent selling of the blows, it wasn't accompanied with the well paced power moves I was expecting. There was a German suplex executed by Rowe to the 300 pounder, but I've seen Rowe go on a suplexing tangent in multi tag matches in the past. Overall a lackluster match. Raw Rowe wins, and gives J-Rocc a right hand on his way to victory.

'Deeelicious' Jimmy DeMarco vs 'M-Dogg' Matt Cross

Another mediocre to poor match. There seems to be a rhetorical theme of pathetic looking Irish whips tonight, peaking again here. At one point DeMarko seems to just walk in to a fireman's carry, weak performances tonight! I know the crowd is dead as shit, but really! Matt Cross barely shows off his athletic prowess, and looks like he might be suffering from lingering pains in his thigh and groin muscles. He limps for a brief period in the early goings, but then recovers and walks normally. Despite that, he goes down to the C4, DeMarko's ace crusher.

Low Ki vs Fletcher

An impromptu, non tournament match made by Norm Conners (IWC promoter) after The Gambinos complain that they're not on the card. 3 minute squash. That felt pointless, and I am a Low Ki fan.

Drake Younger vs Sebastian Dark

Back to first round tournament matches, and aside from a half nelson suplex, awful! Drake Younger won the TPI! I hope his performances in the TPI were better than this. In his defense, his opponent had completely let himself go since the last time I saw him. Fuck, I now really hate this DVD!

The Gambino Brothers vs Jason Gory and Eric Xtacy

I like The Gambino brothers. This match didn't have much going for it. Maybe I have been caught up in a curse of wallowing and negativity to accompany the curse of crapness that hit this show! Eric Xtacy kisses Jason Gory and then launches him overhead, but Gory misses the target! I don't know if that was intentional, I don't care! I just want off. And the show is over. Phew.

I sincerely hope night 2 picks up. Delirious and Larry Sweeney will be on the show and I hope Low Ki will partake in something more worthwhile.

• Paid Members
The problem is that it felt like they had this exact same match at the Royal Rumble in 1996. I'm almost afraid to watch their match from One Night Only incase it turns out that it's exactly the same. I bloody well hope not.

Bret vs. The Undertaker at ONO was a classic. Really good. The crowd was hot for it as well. Both have been very popular in this country over the years, so the crowd was very split.

Bret Hart vs. The Undertaker

There was no need for this match to go on as long as it did, as it was tedious for a long long time during the middle portion of the match. I found myself very bored during it, which reminded me of their rather shawdy match at the Royal Rumble the year before. What saves this match is the brilliant ending to it. Other than that, I wish I skipped it.

It's been ages since I've seen this match but I remember absolutely loving it at the time. I just loved the fact that Bret wasn't intimidated by Undertaker at all and just methodically set to work taking him apart throughout the match. Add to that the finish was perfectly booked.

I'll have to check it out again, maybe it's one of those that hasn't stood the test of time.

It really does.

The best part about the match is that Undertaker is on the defensive for 80% of it. He barely gets a big comeback in, and everytime he musters up a run of moves, Bret cuts him off with a kick to the knee or a shady tactic. Undertaker is really taken out of his element in this match, and it makes for a more interesting contest.

Owen Hart vs. Steve Austin

It's amazing how well the ending worked in the match. The only problem with it being how weak the cover is.

I think you can forgive Austin for that.

Those were the days indeed. I love this match, but I havent watched it in a while. Its sad to think that four of the people involved are now dead and two are physical wrecks. The crowd was shit hot, the anti american feeling certainly helped, but it just summed up where the business was headed at the time. The match, IMO, has aged perfectly to the point were you could watch it now and it doesnt seem old at all and I dont think it ever will.

Another great thing about that match is how gritty and real everything feels. That's one of the problems with WWE today - everything feels so polished and top-spec that you don't really feel that it's spontaneous. It's more of a performance than a contest.

There was no need for this match to go on as long as it did, as it was tedious for a long long time during the middle portion of the match. I found myself very bored during it, which reminded me of their rather shawdy match at the Royal Rumble the year before. What saves this match is the brilliant ending to it. Other than that, I wish I skipped it.

It's been ages since I've seen this match but I remember absolutely loving it at the time. I just loved the fact that Bret wasn't intimidated by Undertaker at all and just methodically set to work taking him apart throughout the match. Add to that the finish was perfectly booked.

I'll have to check it out again, maybe it's one of those that hasn't stood the test of time.

It really does.

The best part about the match is that Undertaker is on the defensive for 80% of it. He barely gets a big comeback in, and everytime he musters up a run of moves, Bret cuts him off with a kick to the knee or a shady tactic. Undertaker is really taken out of his element in this match, and it makes for a more interesting contest.

Owen Hart vs. Steve Austin

It's amazing how well the ending worked in the match. The only problem with it being how weak the cover is.

I think you can forgive Austin for that.

Another great thing about that match is how gritty and real everything feels. That's one of the problems with WWE today - everything feels so polished and top-spec that you don't really feel that it's spontaneous. It's more of a performance than a contest.

I agree about the 'gritty remark' it seems that a lot of it was down off the cuff.

I watched the match about a month ago and could not believe how 'fresh' it was, if the WWE started producing matchs like this again they would be going back to the boom period.

WWF Champion Bret Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid, Raw, July 1994

I didn't see this match until last year on the Raw XV DVD set, and it blew me away. I just watched it again earlier, and it could easily hold up today.

Kid shouldn't have even had a sniff of winning, but by the end, you really believe that he could score a lucky pin, but when Kid takes a big chance, Bret's savvy comes through, he locks in the Sharpshooter and that's that. A great match that elevated the Kid, Bret Hart AND the WWF Championship.

Yeah, Bret showed in that match just how good of a worker he was. I mean, many have said Bret was a good worker but his matches were very mundane as opposed to Michaels-esq matches. I was always a Bret fan rather than a HBK fan really.

As for what I have been watching, today I watched disc 1 of the new Decade of Decandence set (10 years of Edge in the WWE). As stated on here in the Christian Cage thread, I am not much of a fan of Edge at all and watching his matches from his early WWE career hasn't changed my mind, the best stuff on the disc were the extras which had skits of Edge & Christian some were quite funny (Russo must of been writing them).

EZ

WWE One Night Only

w00t ! Another ones that I have been almost itching to reach. This is fondly remembered, and having seen it not so long ago, I tend to agree with those who say that the show was excellent.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Dude Love

Don't think I've ever seen these two guys open a show before. Another really good opening match from these two guys as they just work incredibly well together. It was good to see some stuff on the mat from Dude at the start. This match also wasn't as heated as the other matches from the series because the hate wasn't there. They just had a good match.

Leif Cassidy vs. Tiger Ali Singh

Tiger Ali Singh gets booed for talking about Canada instead of Britain, before giving the mic to his dad who didn't speak a word of English. As you can imagine, this would not go down well. As for the match, it wasn't as bad as would come later from Singh, mainly because it only lasted about five minutes.

Los Baricuas vs. The Headbangers

Well, that was a lot of fun ! It wasn't anything that you haven't seen from a tag team match before, but the two teams put together a very good match, with Thrasher making a very sympathetic face in peril. It was the basic formula stuff very well done.

Flash Funk vs. The Patriot

The fans don't seem to be very sure of how to deal with this match. "The Patriot is unappreciated.". There's some nice exchanges, but much of the match borders on tedious. Great moment, when Patriot makes his big babyface comeback and the fans boo him.

Legion of Doom call the show the biggest show the UK will ever see. Short memories ?

The Godwinns vs. Legion of Doom

A pretty crappy match, which had FAAAAAR too much LoD control to begin with. When the Godwinns finally got a handle on things, my interest was long gone.

Vader vs. Owen Hart

Owen does a great job of getting the crowd on his side. This is a really good big man vs little man match. Vader just beats the ever loving shit out of Owen Hart for the large majority of the match. It actually borders on "extended squash" territory. That doesn't take away from how good this match is though.

This is more like it. The Undertaker helped by being completely pissed off, much like he was for the Ground Zero match with Shawn Michaels. Hart's methodical approach also worked better here as he was a lot more aggressive with it, and it seemed that everything had a purpose, rather than the match feeling like it was 10 minutes going on repeat. The best match between these two that I have seen.

Shawn Michaels vs. The British Bulldog

Can these two do a match without about three restholds in the middle ? The interference on the floor HELPED this match and the whole thing clicked in terrific fashion. Great entertainment.

OVERALL

Terrific show. Nuff said.

Archived