What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

The '94 event I haven't watched all of yet. Have reached the first semi of the tournament.

Wait until you see the second semi-final. That's the best 4 minutes of the show.

I watched the shows before when they were on but I was only 7 when the 94 event happened so I dont remember most of it. I did remember that the Hart/Diesel match was pretty good before the re-watch and also Piper/Lawler(well at least I remembered it being good). I dont remember much of the tournament so its interesting watching it again. Ill be finishing it tonight.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WCW Souled Out 1998

I've decided to have a wee break from the WWE 1997 era and I am now going to watch some WCW stuff. There won't be much in the way of rhyme or reason in the order that I pick shows out. Apart from the first two, which will be Souled Out and Superbrawl 1998.

The ramp for the show isn't as spectacular as the one for the year before. Apparently we're going to see some of the best matches ever. I don't think it's going to be THAT good, although some of the matches have potential.

Juventud Guerrera, Super Calo, Lizmark Jr. and Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. La Parka, Silver King, Psychosis and El Dandy

Tony Schiavone has came out with legendary commentary already. "Larry says that he won't be coming alone, which may mean that someone will come down to the ring with him.". No shit Sherlock. The dive section was absolutely amazing. Especially Silver King who took a hilarious bump when missing his dive. The first few minutes were as confusing as hell. I don't even think the guys in the match had any idea what they were doing some of the time, with them blatantly missing tags and then making tags which went ignored and blown spots. Doesn't take away from the fact that it was good fun.

Raven vs. Chris Benoit

Dusty Rhodes gives us more commentary madness, constantly talking about seats after Raven brings a chair into play. This match was great fun. Chris Benoit just destroyed Raven big time and seemed to have nothing but pure anger, beating the living crap out of Raven in any way he could. Don't understand why Raven hit his DDT and Benoit got up first, but that's a minor gripe. It's a really good match.

Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.

Short match, and with good reason. AMAZING ending to the match as well. The match wasn't good though. Understandable though, when considering what they were going for.

Jericho cuts a terrific promo after the match before working on the bad knee of Jericho.

Rick Martel vs. Booker T.

Commentators talk about that as if it was fantastic, but it wasn't on for long enough to be anything other than good. That was the only problem with it, and I think the two men did a terrific job for the time that they had.

Scott Hall vs. Larry Zbyszko

Fuck you all, I enjoyed this immensley, from the way the match played out to the overbooking at the end. It was all a bit predictable from the moment the ref bump happened though. The match itself was going well with Larry doing all he could to humiliate Hall and Hall needing to resort to dirty tactics to keep any control.

Scott Norton, Buff Bagwell and Konnan vs. The Steiner Brothers and Ray Traylor

The match was shit, and the crowd was dead. The only interesting thing was the angle with Scott Steiner not being allowed into the ring.

Kevin Nash vs. The Giant

Interesting at times, and boring at others. Never really kicks into another gear, but I get the impression that this could have been better from the way it went. The Powerbomb is just sick to see.

Ric Flair vs. Bret Hart

Never seen these guys in a match, but if this is what the standard is, I need to get me the title match. This was a great wee match. The selling of Ric Flair in the first half of the match got tedious, but it didn't actually hurt the match.

Randy Savage vs. Lex Luger

I'm sure someone can tell me what redeeming factors that this match had. I can't find one. A messy and crappy brawl that didn't even hold my interest for five seconds at a time.

OVERALL

Not a bad PPV actually. Take away the shawdy last match and the even shawdier six man tag and you have a really good PPV.

So, I've been watching the first year of WCW Monday Nitro. I'm about 8 shows into it (IIRC, the last one I watched was the night after Halloween Havoc), and it's so much fun. The Dungeon of Doom may have come over as crappy and lame at the time, but the whole thing coming across as darned entertaining now (YETI!). Some of the actual match action has been really cool (of all people, some good stuff including Craig Pitman), and it's got that unpredictable feel to it that I think Nitro did really well for its first couple of years. I think I'm a show or two away from the first Hogan v Sting match, and will probably watch more on Monday. After that, I'm back on the ROH trail...

I finally got round to watching 'Heroes of World Class' dvd this morning and really enjoyed it.

Considering I have seen a grand total of 0 World Class matches and am not a fan of any of the World Class alumni I was surprised that I found it so entertaining. The first hour and a half covered the company's rise to becoming seen all over the world and hosting cards in football stadiums in front of 50,000 fans.

Then the last hour or so is equally as interesting, but quite depressing. It covers the many deaths of it's young wrestlers (including 4 of the Von Erich brothers) which eventually led to the company's downfall. Then it finishes with the final surviving Von Erich brother (Kevin) visiting the famous home of WCCW The Dallas Sportatorium for the first time in over a decade - just hours before it got demolished.

The talking heads from the head referee, the commentator, Kevin Von Erich, Gary Hart, and another regular wrestler were very insightful.

I reckon I will track down the WWE version too, especially in the event of the Von Erich's going in the Hall of Fame this year as has been rumoured. :thumbsup:

WCW Superbrawl VIII

This has some good looking stuff on it.

Rick Martel vs. Booker T.

Great ending to a fine match here. MUCH better than the match the previous month. It's a shame that the commentators never had the chance to pimp the hell out of this one due to the next match following right after. The fans just weren't having the babyface vs babyface idea, and booed Martel whenever given the oppertunity, while Booker was the white hot favourite.

Perry Saturn vs. Booker T.

A lot more sluggish than the opening match, which is understandable because Booker had already wrestled, plus Saturn brought a brawling style which didn't help matters. The match is just as good as the opening match though. Could have been better but things got very sloppy towards the end.

Tony Schiavone loves his " ... in the history of our sport." lines, doesn't he ?

Disco Inferno vs. La Parka

Not a very interesting match, apart from when La Parka was the man in control of things. I don't understand why the referee didn't throw the chair out of the ring when he seen it sitting there ready to be used. I'm sure that I can remember Disco being better than this.

Nick Patrick gets promo time. Christ.

Brad Armstrong vs. Goldberg

Oh dear. This doesn't bode well. Even I got excited watching this. There was an incredible aura about Goldberg at this time and it's no wonder he was such a big star in WCW.

Chris Jericho vs. Juventud Guerrera - Title vs. Mask

Great match. I hate false finishes like the one near the end of this match though. Any need for the bell ring ? After that, the crowd seemed to completely dismiss the idea of Juvvy keeping his mask. That is a pretty big flaw in the match if you ask me, but it's still a match worth seeking out.

Steve McMichael vs. The British Bulldog

Nobody say a tap or heard Mongo quit, but the ref rings the bell anyways. Okay then. Steve McMichael is rightly upset. That was a pretty crappy match, so I'm not entirely unhappy that the referee called for the bell early.

Chris Benoit vs. Diamond Dallas Page

Absolutely stunning match, and if this isn't the match of the night then there has been an absolute classic following it. Looking at the rest of the card, I think we're safe. Just a great two sided match with loads of wee counters throughout.

Randy Savage vs. Lex Luger - No Disqualification

Another match where I'm glad that the match was ended, as it was a load of boring crap.

The Outsiders vs. The Steiner Brothers

Survey says that the crowd is here to see the nWo. This was pretty much a nothing match and an angle development, of which there seems to be a lot of on these PPVs. The commentators don't even try and sell this as a shock. We all knew this was coming.

Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting

"The star that marches to a different drummer.". Don't think you have that down Michael. A pretty crappy ending to the show here, as we continue with the absolute crap of the last three matches.

OVERALL

If you watch this up to the end of Benoit vs. DDP, you might well have a better opinion of this PPV than I have, but the bad stuff on this PPV is really bad. Almost unforgivable at times. Thankfully, there is some good stuff on here to take a look at. The cruiser and US Title matches are terrific and must-see matches.

Ive just watched PBW: Maximum Impact 2. Now this isnt meant as a blatant plug for the dvd and the PBW product but in the years ive seen British Wrestling presented on video i have not seen a show with such well put together matches and picture quality is something that wouldnt look out of place on a tv channel like a Bravo or an E4. The way that the show is put together for the person watching at home gives it the "big show" atmosphere and all around is another credit to Premier British Wrestling and the hard work of Mr Ross Watson and the media team he employs for making the videos and the filming and editing of the dvd.

Roll on PBW in HD :p

I am just sitting down to watch the rest of 1PW's A Cruel Twist Of Fate. I've had it for a bit but have only just got round to watching it.

I have only seen the first couple of matches (really enjoyed the match between Blue Meanie & Tracy Smothers) but it looks like an OK show.

It is a good show, you might find yourself fast forwarding the middle half hour of the 45 minute Al Snow vs Steve Corino epic though.

It maybe comes across better on tv, but there in person it was torture until they started the finish sequence.

WWE Survivor Series 1997

Back to business as usual this time, with a show that looks more than a wee bit suspect. There isn't much outside of the main event to get excited about.

The New Blackjacks and The Headbangers vs. The New Age Outlaws and The Godwinns

I love these matches. Where can you find a normal Clothesline winning a fall ? The rules of these matches don't leave much room for boredom either. Doesn't mean that the match was any good though. There were good points, like Bradshaw completely mauling the Outlaws, and Billy Gunn being as over as hell with the crowd. There aren't many positives.

The Truth Commission vs. DOA

The DOA seemed to simply be fodder for the The Interrogator. The match wasn't very good anyways.

Team USA vs. Team Hart Foundation

This match was FAR too long for what they were going for, and the match was just incredibly messy. They dragged the Goldust/Vader thing on forever, and the only time that the fans were interested during this was when Vader had a go at Goldust. In saying that, the fans were pretty hot after that. Didn't help a bland match though.

Kane vs. Mankind

This was much better than I expected. Mankind bumped like an absolute maniac for Kane, and also made comebacks at the right times and the fans bought into Mankind having a chance, even though there was no way he was going to win.

The Nation of Domination vs. Ken Shamrock, Ahmed Johnson and The Legion of Doom

The fans REALLY don't like The Rock. And this match REALLY didn't click, and it's as if the guys in each match were determined that there wasn't going to be a good survivor series match for the entire night. The only good thing about this match was the sheer determination of Ken Shamrock.

Owen Hart vs. Steve Austin

Very reminiscent of the Owen/Faarooq match from the month before. Both guys seemed to be passing the time untill it was time to go to the finish and then all of a sudden, we had an ending to the match with tonnes of stuff.

Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart

When you include the pre-match brawl, this match is a bit of an epic. You get a real sense of tension between the two guys in the match and it feels like a massive match. There's all sorts of things that work in this match's favour. The ending is not one of these things. A good solid match between the two guys but both have done much better against each other.

OVERALL

Oh dear. This was a misfire and a half. None of the elimination matches are worth seeing. The IC Title match isn't worth much more. The only two matches worth something are Kane's in ring debut and the epic main event which would have been a good sendoff for Bret with a different ending. I wouldn't recommend this show.

Tonight I watched bits of 1PW's Second Anniversary Show...

1PW Openweight Championship: Darren Burridge vs. Nigel McGuinness (45min Iron Man match)

This match holds up fairly well after just over a year. Whilst thirty minute iron man matches barely qualify as such and a sixty minute match would've made this show even later than it already was going to be, 45mins seems about right for these two and what a contest it is. There were some things I noticed this time that I didn't on the night - about ten minutes before the end, the two guys are so knackered that they basically give up and stagger around outside the ring for a couple minutes - but the brutality and the psychology was all there, especially if you watched 1PW that year as I did, and this still holds up as probably the best singles match I've ever seen live. Burridge's run of injuries have been cruelly timed, as he's certain to return to the top of 1PW and possibly British wrestling if he ever gets fully fighting fit again. Also of note is that this is the first match Nigel wrestled following his ROH World Title win, and seeing the belt sitting on the mat next to the 1PW Openweight Championship whilst the two shake hands at the end of a 4-4 draw reminds me just how far 1PW came (and fell) at times.

1PW Tag Team Championships: Dragonhearts vs. Damned Nation (Lumberjack match)

The atmosphere for this one doesn't translate too well onto DVD as is often the case with Spectrum releases from 2007, but it still comes across as near nuclear heat compared to the rest of the card and you can see why. This one was built around an nWo-esque angle with DN returning to 1PW unannounced and stealing the tag belts from new rightful champions Luke Dragon Phoenix and Spud. The feud continued throughout the year and came to this match at 2AS, with five Damned lumberjacks and five 1PW lumberjacks at ringside. Of note are the participants - Stevie Lynn, Conscience and Adam Shame are amongst the DN representatives whilst 1PW is backed up by the slightly sub-standard team of Iceman (the retired one), Pain Inc (the Ruffneck/Joey Hayes version, which was the best) and, er, Donny Bull and G-Man. Unless you count Spud, the only people who were part of this match that remain in 1PW as of their last show are in fact now part-owners Dragon Aisu and the aforementioned G-Man. Still, to the match - it is a mess, but it's exactly the kind of mess that was needed. They begin with a 'proper' tag match and all the hot tagging that comes with that, with the added interest of the odd brawl between the 'jacks, until all Hell breaks loose and the lumberjacks simply invade the ring towards the end. This is the point at which it gets screwy - Stevie Aaron is brought into the ring and reveals a 'DAMNED' tee, only to Superkick Aisu and pull that top off to reveal a 1PW shirt underneath. Only 'smart' fans would know the connection Aaron has with Aisu, 3CW and the Nation, yet his kicking of Aisu gets the largest pop of the entire match. Dean Ayass (back for one night to negate the impact of Gabriel Gray for DN) then makes the Most Telegraphed Heel Turn 2007 by stopping Gray from hitting Spud with the cane only to nail him himself. The dismay in the arena is evident when Majik and Aisu hit the Snapshot to win the belts rightfully, but it's somewhat ruined by the entire G**ntley family and most of the 1PW staff yelling obscenities and beginning chants at the Nation in a spot which really should just have been left to the wrestlers on the roster. Nevertheless, enjoyable stuff and whilst it was a clusterfuck, it was exactly the kind of clusterfuck it needed to be at the time. Unfortunately, this led to DN becoming 1PW's storyline well and essentially becoming the DamnWo, with stranger and stranger additions ranging from good (John Cameron, Joey Hayes) to downright odd (Mohmed Ahmeen, Keith Myatt and even referee Ricc) and eventually the 'Damned Nation Will Not Die' 1PW Underground show reminiscent of nWo Nitro. Thankfully, the feud ended once and for all at 3YAS and no Nation members have returned or been advertised since.

1PW Heavyweight Championship: Ulf Herman vs. Sterling James Keenan (Steel Cage match)

This match's recap is a lot shorter for the very simple reasons: number one, it wasn't good; number two, it went on so late that the fans ceased to care; number three, its finish is marred by the final Dome appearance of the outcast Jay Phoenix, and four, the cage just didn't generate the interest it should've. Their biggest 'cage' spot is virtually robbed from Lashley/Umaga before WrestleMania 23, with Ulf knocking Keenan out of the cage through a gimmicked panel. Mercifully, Keenan wins, which if nothing else has produced some good matches against Martin Stone and Raven, with more to come this year. Afterwards, Keenan cuts a promo turning heel again, bringing him full circle from 1AS where he first turned face and became the 'antihero' that the fans somehow got behind massively. A confusing decision at the time, but not one that has come back to haunt them since.

Riki Choshu vs Genichiro Tenryu (21st Feb 1985 - JPW)

This match is feckin incredible. Only goes about 10 minutes, but the amount of hate and intensity they manage to pack into it is awe inspiring, I wish more wrestling was like this. Both men genuinely look like they're trying to kill each other with their respective moves, and even the countout finish works a treat. The crowd is super hot as well, 100% pro-Choshu, and they make the match that much better. Worryingly I've had this on my hard drive for ages and only just got round to watching it, hopefully there's some more unwatched matches of this quality lying around.

Archived