What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

I have been checking out plenty of WCW in its dying years both on DailyMotion and on what little warner VHS releases we got over here. To be honest, it is fantastic stuff. It was probably shit having to sit through it week in week out at the time but I am enjoying the majority of what im watching. The New Blood/Millionaires club thing really had a chance.Oh and theirs LOTS of Sid.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked out the Regal/Psychosis match. Regal does seem off a little bit, but the last five minutes or so is great, especially the finish. There's also a Regal/Mysterio vs. Guerrero/Malenko match that goes for about four great minutes. Regal's interaction with Eddie was especially great, it's a shame that to my knowledge they never had a big 1 on 1 match.

Just checked out the Regal/Psychosis match. Regal does seem off a little bit, but the last five minutes or so is great, especially the finish. There's also a Regal/Mysterio vs. Guerrero/Malenko match that goes for about four great minutes. Regal's interaction with Eddie was especially great, it's a shame that to my knowledge they never had a big 1 on 1 match.

Steven Regal vs. Eddy GuerreroThis is the only televised match I can recall them having, where did you get Regal/Psicosis from, was it just the youtube one?

Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW Nitro 23/12/1996

These two guys wrestled a lot didn't they ? The ending of the match is pretty damn fine. The section of the match before the ads is terrific, with lots of fire and determination followed by some quality mat wrestling. The second half, the whole thing sort of breaks down and doesn't really recover. It's still a good way to spend 10 minutes.

Mr. JL vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. - WCW Nitro 23/12/1996

JL is, of course, Jerry Lynn. The action was fast paced, but there didn't seem to be much to it. It was a decent enough cruiserweight version of big man/little man though.

Steven Regal vs. Dean Malenko - WCW Nitro 23/12/1996

Lots of decent action on this episode actually. This is the best of the three. Just a load of fun thanks to loads of little things like the way moves are done. The action also got really good towards the end. Maybe Regal just wasn't suited to Psychosis, because he's on fine form in this one.

Paul Orndorff vs. Ricky Steamboat - WCW Clash of the Champions XXIV

I always think it's great to watch two guys constantly go for pinfalls from the very start of the match after every single move. Both guys made the title match mean something and threw everything including the kitchen sink at each other. Even the match ending helped to get the importance of the title over. Nothing bad to say about this one.

Chris Benoit vs. Jeff Jarrett, No DQ Match - WCW Starrcade 1996

Disappointed at a No DQ match with hardly any brawling in it. If you come in expecting a decent wrestling match then you shouldn't be disappointed, but the only real use of the No DQ comes with the timely interferences of Woman and then the big overbooking at the end, but even the ending sees the ref distracted. Considering the guys in the match, this is very disappointing.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Marc Mero - WWE In Your House : Beware of Dog

The bump Mero takes on the second Plancha ... sick. Dunno if the ending was the planned one as a result. It added to Mero being the underdog for the entire match though. Hunter was pretty relentless with the arm and Mero sold it like a champ, and all of his offense came from stuff not using the arm for the latter part of the match. It's a pretty good match anyways as you'd expect.

The British Bulldog vs. Shawn Michaels - WWE In Your House : Beware of Dog

I didn't see the pre-match build, but if I did, I probably still wouldn't give a shit about the shenanigans at the start of this match. This match features perhaps the most hilarious botched spot of all time. Well, Raven bouncing off of the ring ropes instead of getting in the ring at an ECW PPV might beat it. Shit ending. Shit middle thanks to needless restholding from Bulldog. Good first few minutes with HBK keeping moving and not allowing Bulldog a moment of space. However, the match badly falls apart and doesn't recover. Not good.

Ultimo Dragon vs. Jushin Lyger - WCW Nitro 30/12/1996

That was a pretty well paced cruiser match, especially considering that it only lasted about five minutes. Loads of action fitted right into that time.

Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho - WCW Nitro 30/12/1996

This match ended a hell of a suddenly ? It was just about to get going and then there's an ending. I really didn't appreciate that at all. Not exactly the best example of a short match here. It's a shame because it really felt as if they were going for something good.

Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. - WCW Nitro 30/12/1996

This was an amazing way to spend your time. Malenko mauling Rey from time to time is good fun, but the best part comes from the little exchanges of counters from both men and the frantic pace of it all. The best Nitro match I've seen to this point.

Demolition vs. Strike Force - WWE 1988

No idea on the date of this at all. If it helps, spoilers will be in the tags. I know it's ancient, but I just don't like posting spoilers. This is almost every tag match you seen around this time. Sticks to the formula and does so well, and is therefore a decent match.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Demolition do their finisher on the floor and we have a count out.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Rick Rude vs. Brutus Beefcake - WWE SNME 11/03/1989

RUDE'S MUSIC~~~!!! :D :D :D :D

Oh, there's a match after it too. Not much going on here. It's mainly Beefcake doing some punching and stuff before all sorts of shenanigans kick in.

The Iron Sheik vs. Bob Backlund - WWE MSG 26/12/1983

The pace of the match might be trying for some, but the match is still very good stuff. Every move made a difference and nothing was ignored, whether it be the bad neck of bad arm, Backlund sold everything and Sheik slowly but surely dissected him for the majority. Backlund tried to secure the match with something quick, knowing he was in trouble while Sheik seemed to be purely going for submissions. Something had to give and eventually did.

Psychosis vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. - WCW Nitro 06/01/1997

This is the Psychosis that I'm used to. Two big spots asked for from him and he manages to botch both. I guess he saved the second one somewhat. The match isn't too bad, but Psychosis just wasn't playing ball here.

Tommy Dreamer vs. Rob Van Dam - WWE RAW 26/08/2002

This was brilliant fun with some really cool spots. It started off feeling like an ECW match and drifted into WWE territory which is good, as there has been some really good hardcore action in WWE. You could never really believe that Tommy Dreamer ever had a hope in hell though here.

Chris Jericho vs. Jeff Hardy - WWE RAW 26/08/2002

The closing sequence is terrific stuff between these two guys, but the first half of the match isn't very good at all. Neither man seemed to be clicking at all untill the last three or four minutes when things went pretty well.

Don Muraco vs. Jimmy Snuka, Steel Cage Match - WWE MSG 17/10/1983

I just didn't get into this one at all. Blood was about the only sign of hate I got from either man. After match stuff is rather famous though.

Dean Malenko vs. Jushin Lyger - WCW Nitro 06/05/1996

It's Malenko on Nitro, so you can draw your own conclusions on this. The flow is ruined a bit by coverage that's on Ric Flair, but once they allow you to get a handle on the match, you just know that it's gold.

Konnan vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW Uncensored 1996

The best match I've seen from Konnan, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. The first half of the match was good, with both men showing off some decent mat wrestling, but there was some really weak looking submissions and resting as the match went on. The match was okay, but it was all Eddie.

The 1-2-3 Kid vs Bret Hart - WWE RAW 11/07/1994

JR : "What a match !". Yup, he would be right. Hard to describe what it is I loved so much about this match. Maybe it was The 1-2-3 Kid just refusing to stay down while Hart kicked his arse untill it was a new shape. Whatever it was, this match is well worth a watch.

Shawn Michaels vs. The British Bulldog - WWE RAW Hits 1995

This is almost exactly like the match they had a year later at Beware of Dog. Except this one is a bit shorter. Doesn't make the match anymore lively though. Really not what you'd expect from two such talents, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to see a good match from these two guys.

Dean Malenko vs. Brad Armstrong - WCW Slamboree 1996

A very uninteresting match from these two guys. Especially surprising from Malenko considering the stuff I've been watching from him recently. It didn't help that Armstrong hardly ever sold the knee when he came back into the match. That's shocking considering the work that Malenko did on it.

Ric Flair vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW Nitro 20/05/1996

It was all a bit samey from Ric Flair here, but that didn't stop it being a pretty good match.

The Glamour Girls vs. Jumping Bomb Angels - WWE Boston Garden 05/03/1988

Some of the stuff from the Jumping Bomb Angels caught me off guard a bit. Annoying that neither Gorilla or Hayes knew the names of each wrestler, as I was wondering who they are. This was decent formula stuff which had an electric pace whenever the Angels were in control.

Dean Malenko vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW Nitro 13/01/1997

The match cutting out right at the end is incredibly annoying. Both men are just so fluid with everything they do in this match, as Malenko just continues to be all sorts of awesome. They go through all sorts of reversal sequences including a great pinfall one. Very good outing.

Savio Vega vs. Rocky Maivia - WWE Shotgun Saturday Night 25/01/1997

Some moron fans chant "Boring" about a minute into the match before chanting for the bWo. A pretty solid match regardless of the pishy crowd they had to deal with.

• Paid Members

Ric Flair vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW Nitro 20/05/1996

Did these guys face each other at Road Wild in 1996? I was quite suprised how shit that match was.In 1996, Flair had no clue on how to wrestle these new generation type guys IMO. He had shit matches with the likes of Mysterio, Malenko, Benoit, but he eventually improved. Maybe it was that shoulder injury.

• 2 weeks later...

Most recently I've been watching the Stud Stable vs. Dustin Rhodes fued from WCW in 1994. The Smackschoice message board have been running a poll on the top WCW matches of all time, and it's great as I'm now actively seeking out more footage than I would normally bother to watch. The best match of the above fued has to be the Bunkhouse Match from Spring Stampede, just violent and bloody. The two beat the crap out of each other, and for someone who's never seen Bunkhouse Buck before, he's really impressive.

The British Bulldog vs. Shawn Michaels - WWE In Your House : Beware of DogI didn't see the pre-match build, but if I did, I probably still wouldn't give a shit about the shenanigans at the start of this match. This match features perhaps the most hilarious botched spot of all time. Well, Raven bouncing off of the ring ropes instead of getting in the ring at an ECW PPV might beat it. Shit ending. Shit middle thanks to needless restholding from Bulldog. Good first few minutes with HBK keeping moving and not allowing Bulldog a moment of space. However, the match badly falls apart and doesn't recover. Not good.

That's the one where the PPV feed died though, isn't it? They got word and started doing more restholds, building to doing a longer, house-show style match. When they got word that the show as back on, they rushed to the finish. Also, if memory serves, Michaels was all pissy about it and threw one of his characteristic hissy fits. That can't have made him easy to work with.

That was the one where the PPV-feed died. I've never spotted the hissy fit that HBK had although I heard about it.They had a much better match at King of the Ring though. Sounds like the sort of match they were intending at Beware of Dog from what you're saying, before they got cut short.

• 1 month later...

Watched Wrestlemania 13.

The New Blackjacks vs. The Headbangers vs. Furnas and LaFon vs. The Godwinns

It was all sorts of a mess untill we were down to two teams, and then suddenly it became a lot better. The New Blackjacks just left me thinking "what's the point ?". Furnas and LaFon had NO chance to shine which is a shame. Overall, just a massive load of crap untill the last few minutes.

The Sultan vs. Rocky Maivia

I didn't really mind this match, apart from Sultan being all over the place, which Vince McMahon duly noted. The crowd response to Maivia here is the true highlight. They booed his comeback from a Chinlock which made me laugh.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs. Goldust

Not a bad match, but it was awfully boring. It seems that when Hunter takes control of a match at this stage, it goes right down the shitter.

Owen Hart and The British Bulldog vs. Vader and Mankind

I think this was the worst possible match that these four guys could have had. It was about 10 minutes too long by the looks of things. Loads of wandering around, and I think they just stuck the first 10 minutes on repeat for the second half of the match.

Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart - Submissions Match

Time has been kind to this match. I didn't like it as much as others did, but I've grown to adore it. It's good to see Bret hardly use a single wrestling move and still be pretty great. He and Austin put out a match which was just FILLED with hate and had the crowd in the palms of their hands, leading to their big double turn at the end.

The Nation of Domination vs. Ahmed Johnson and LOD - Chicago Street Fight

Time has NOT been kind to this match. Six guys doing something that you've probably seen a million times by now. And you've probably seen it done better than this as well, since this was atrocious.

Psycho Sid vs. The Undertaker

The streaming pile of piss continues. This is god awful. Why I subjected myself to it after that last match I'll never know.

It's not a show I'd recommend to anyone outside of the Hart/Austin awesome-fest. Without that match, this is probably the worst PPV I've ever seen. I still have loads of late 90s and early 00s stuff to watch that I've never seen, so that might not last long.

Just finished watching Clash of the Champions 7: Guts N Glory!

Pretty good stuff. Quite a few stinkers in there (The Ding Dongs! :crazy:) but there was some good tag action and a great main event.

Freebirds vs Midnight Express and Midnight Express Samoan swat team were good, basic tag matches in the title tournament. Steiners vs Rotunda/Sullivan was fast paced and included a couple of crazy spots including Sullivan throwing the stairs at Scott. Their Bash 89 match was pretty wild for the time too.

The main event between Funk and Steamoboat was great and quite similar to Flair/Funk matches that would follow. A good mix between brawling and wrestling. One of the higlights being Funk's piledriver on the outside while running backwards. Luger's heel turn after the match leads nicely to his match with steamboat at the bash.

Overall nice to see some of the build-up to one of the greatest PPV's of all time.

Archived