What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

The Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling

WWE1173_L.JPG

In the 80s, wrestling events in Texas were like rock concerts. Fans flocked to arenas to experience the excitement of World Class Championship Wrestling. But just as quickly as it rose to popularity, WCCW burnt out through a series of traumatic losses.

This two-disc set includes an extensive documentary recounting the history of the company, plus exclusive interviews with Kevin Von Erich, Ric Flair, the Freebirds

I've watched all of the first disc.

I love these WWE special sets and enjoy watching the stories with all the classic footage and interviews. This has some fantastic footage of the Von Erichs, Chris Adams and a few other names that appeared in the WWF including King Kong Bundy and Rick Rude aswell as Ric Flair. One of the few things missing is the mention of Chris Adams passing away, it seems to mention all the others but not Chris Adams who died in more recent years.

Disc 2

matches

2 out of 3 Falls Match

Duke Keomuka vs. Ricky Starr

Texas Rasslin'

- good bout, very much like an style British wrestling contest but no rounds.

American Heavyweight Championship

Fritz Von Erich vs. King Kong Bundy

Fritz Von Erich Retirement Show at Texas Stadium

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly WCW Bash at the Beach 1996 - watched the whole card (yes including Big Bubba Vs John Tenta - OMG) however stands out for 2 matches Rey Vs Pyschosis and the forming of the nWo - "hulk Hogan you can go to hell" - love it last good WCW angle (ever).Old WCW PPVs are my thing at the moment now i have got DIVX streaming from my PC to my X-Box working properly.

AAA 4 Way Tag Team Ladder Match 19/1/08I dont think ive ever seen any of AAA before, so the only wrestlers i knew were the team of Sabu and Teddy Hart. I didnt watch this expecting much, but it was still pretty poor. Really, really sloppy throughout, although there were a couple of good spots(one being a run up a diagonal ladder into a flying kick, on the guy who was on another ladder). Plus, the match had a confusing ending. Where, one team let another guy win the tag belts. But this may of been explained if i understood the commenatary.Edge vs Meng WCW TV somewhen...A short squash match, and not a good one. Nothing of note happend, it was just interesting cos i never knew Edge wrestled in WCW. If anyones seen this, what was Edge called?? I couldnt hear the commenatry properly, but i think i heard 'Striker'?

Summerslam 2002 - Overall a good show - Mysterio vs Angle - great opener and view of what was to come from the littliest big man. Micheals vs Triple H - Micheals return match and the passion from the crowd electrifies what was an asomaly of awesomeness and my favourite is Brock vs Rock - The part where they nip up at the same time and the Rock's facial expressions as if to say what have I got to do to beat this guy stand out.

• 1 month later...

IWA-DS Carnage Cup 2006

I've got loads of DVDs to watch. Watched a lot of them but not reviewed them in this thread yet. I'll get to them. Mostly CZW but there's other assorted goodies, and this is included among them. I'm not a fan of the deathmatch on a lot of occaisions, but I have seen a few not bad ones. I'm hoping to see more here. This is the only DS DVD I have.

NOTE : Reviews for the next round and final will be posted in spoiler tags.

Rick Hayes vs. Insane Lane - Razor Wire Match

Not good. There are a couple of sick spots thanks to the nature of the match, and the first spot involving the wire is pretty sick to watch. Hayes just looks like an oversized 18 year old actually.

Mitch Page vs. Necro Butcher - Unlucky 13 Match

Copy and paste what I posted above, and say the same for this. It does get a little fun because of the nature of the stipulation, but the two men just completely wasted any drama that such a match could have had.

Dysfunction vs. Freakshow - Home Wrecker Match

Ah, this is more like it. Both guys actually put together a nice wee match with what they had. It's always nice to see a VCR used in the match. The spots weren't overly sick or anything, but the match actually had a flow, and was enjoyable.

Ian Rotten vs. Mickie Knuckles - Barefoot Thumbtacks Match

The opening minutes of this match aren't worth much. However, the second half of this match sees this turn into unreal levels of insanity. Makes me want to see more of what they've done. Look out for some phenomenal staple spots. I've seen staple spots before, but not as good as this. This is great fun.

Dustin Lee vs. Drake Younger - Ultraviolent Ladders and Tables Match

Younger is someone who grows on me purely because of how mental he is. Not much use made of ladders here which sort of hurts the match.

Bull Pain vs. Corporal Robinson - Light-Tube Hell

Just utter shite.

Don Juan and Chuey Martinez vs. Dave The Rave and Hugh Rogue - Non-Tournament Match

DON JUAN ?!?! Anyways, he makes for a great heel here. Couldn't give a toss about Martinez. The match is actually not too bad. Does it's job of filling time untill the next round of matches.

Cabana Man Dan vs. Chrisjen Hayme - Non-Tournament Match

WARNING : These guys are crap. They DO have a hell of a good sequence on the floor that's more intense than most of the tournament matches. Both guys are as green as hell.

Second Chance Rumble

Bunch of weapons. Bunch of people. Nothing much happening. Feel free to move along.

Right, onto the other stuff ...

Ian Rotten vs. Drake Younger - Lught-Tube Log Cabin Match

There's actually some really good wrestling in this one before they hit the big spots. They built Younger as the underdog early as Rotten just clubbed the shit out of him. The final spots of the match felt very tacked on though.

Freakshow vs. Necro Butcher - Taipei Death Match

Ugh. This is terrible. Two guys punching each other and nothing else.

Corporal Robinson vs. Tank - Carnage Corners Match

Another terrible match, and considering what they had to with, this is another occaision where the gimmick is wasted on the guys using it. Oh, Tank replaces an injured Dysfunction.

Bull Pain vs. Insane Lane - Home Run Derby Match

A match that revolves around Insane Lane's ability to get his ass kicked big time, and that makes the match a lot of fun. The dynamic seems to be that Bull Pain has the advantage and will make Lane hurt. With that in mind, this wasn't great or anything, but it did what it was supposed to, and with added brutality. Score.

Carnage Cup Finals - Drake Younger vs. Insane Lane vs. Corporal Robinson vs. Necro Butcher - 200 Thumbtacks Match

A fitting end to the tournament, as this is utter carnage from start to finish, as all four men go all out and just destroy each other with the light-tubes. Once again, Lane and Younger stand out in the match.

OVERALL

Fans of the guys involved will love this. I enjoyed it and I'm not even the big deathmatch fan or anything. More than half of the matches are decent enough. There's also a couple of matches that you should REALLY enjoy. I wouldn't recommend getting it. Probably just advise you to give it a watch if given the chance.

I'm sorry for going off topic here, but I've wanted to know for a while. What does MOTYC stand for? I guess the first four letters are for Match of the year or something, but I have no idea what the C is supposed to stand for. Maybe I'm just being think.

AAA 4 Way Tag Team Ladder Match 19/1/08I dont think ive ever seen any of AAA before, so the only wrestlers i knew were the team of Sabu and Teddy Hart. I didnt watch this expecting much, but it was still pretty poor. Really, really sloppy throughout, although there were a couple of good spots(one being a run up a diagonal ladder into a flying kick, on the guy who was on another ladder). Plus, the match had a confusing ending. Where, one team let another guy win the tag belts. But this may of been explained if i understood the commenatary.

I've not seen it but just looking at the guys involved it was hardly going to be a classic 4 bags of shit(Crazy Boy, Joe Lider, Extreme Tiger & Teddy Hart)and three guys past there best(Charly Manson, Halloween and Sabu) doesn't sound like the makings of a classic.On the title change confusionFrom Cubsfan

The ladder match was filled with missed spots, mostly missed spots, and moments lacking completely logic. The AAA Tag Team belts were completely and totally buried - Chessman and Charly rejecting them needed to be explained in some way if that was supposed to work at all, but it clearly worked just the way it was shown. The belts are crap that the Hell Brothers don't want to be deal with, and the Mexican Powers(Crazzy Boy & Joe Lider) having them doesn't mean they're best team in the world - maybe that's even one of the two teams in the tag title match last week, since their joke belts were positioned higher on the card than this.

WWE No Way Out 2008: Switched off part way through. Chavo/Punk in a word meh and i'm pretty sure i slipped into a coma during the SD! Elimination Chamber.NOAH 03/05/06 show: Thankfully the undercard didn't suck, Ogawa/Rikio was fun, Marufuji/Akira Taue was beyond awesome, Misawa/Morishima(second view)is a beautifully nasty sluggfest, Kobashi/KENTA was a bit of a disapointment and the two matches before it were hugley better and the two title matches didn't do a lot for me.FSN CMLL 2/25/07 & CMLL Guadalajara 3/4/07As with most of the Fox Sports shows not much to talk about but Taped 3/4/07 Arena Coliseo de Guadalajara:Torneo Cibernetico: Atlantis/Dr. Wagner Jr./Metatron/Nitro/Malefico/Magnum/El Gallo/Virus/Sagrado/Sangre Azteca/Rayman/Ultimo GuerreroIncredibley fun match, Wagner/Atlantis/Ultimo at there crowd stirring best, Virus bringing his tubby goodness and some guys i've never seen before, Rayman being the standout. Not great but brings a smile to the face.Bunch of matchesROH (31/3/2006)Genki Horiguchi, Ryo Saito & Dragon Kid vs CIMA, Naruki Doi & Yoshino: Six guys put on a very good match in front of a bunch of cunts.CMLL (2/23/07) Amapola, Hiroka, Mima Shimoda vs. Dark Angel, India Sioux, Lady Apache Need to see an Amapola vs Dark Angel singles match. This was ok but there so far above everyone that you can't wait to see them go at each other.Big Mouth Loud (19/4/2006) Yuki Ishikawa vs Hiroyuki Ito: MOTYC? piss off!

Archived