What are YOU watching?

Big Rob

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RO&D VS. KENSUKE FAMILY CONCLUSION - ELIMINATION MATCH

TAKA Michinoku, Taiyo Kea, Jamal, Buchanan & D-Lo Brown vs. Kensuke Sasaki, Genichiro Tenryu, KENSHIN, Katsuhiko Nakajima & Akira Hokuto

AJPW The Unchained World - 12/05/04

The match rules was like a normal elimination match, but you can also be eliminated by getting thrown over the top rope.

Hokuto got a pretty big pop in the start as she took off her workout suit and the crowd saw that she was in the match. Jamal is ofcourse Umaga as we know him now, who did a great job selling most of the stuff.

Jamal even did the move he does as Umaga in WWE, where he runs into the corner Hokuto was sitting there, mean while her kids were at ringside watching the damn thing, Yay

Tenryu got a huge pop in the match when he chopped Buchanan out of the match. Close to the end it was Sasaki & Hokuto vs Kea, Jamal & TAKA. Hokuto and Jamal got eliminated by help of her husband.

Sasaki quickly finish TAKA, and abit later with struggle finish off Kea, to end a really good match. TAKA is better then ever, fast and exciting to watch. I

• 1 month later...

I'm now coming towards the end of a well-earned week off work. I haven't really done as much as I would have liked, though in-between sorting out the garden, ridding my bin cupboard of rats, and fixing the fence that blew down six months ago, I got around to finally buying a new TV (32" Panasonic jobby, which I ended up getting cheaper than anywhere only five minutes away from my house). With a little time on my hands, I've been plouging through the past 3 or 4 years releases of decent WWE DVD releases. With the generally unforfilling Greatest Wrestling Superstars of the Eighties out of the way, I've watched The Self Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior (in which I found a new respect for his cage match with Rick Rude at Summerslam 90, which had previously underwhelmed me), and am now in the middle of the Bret Hart set. The documentary itself did little for me, but it was always going to be the case that it was never going to be able to fully pull the trigger on the interesting stuff, the nature of the relationship between Hart and WWE being the stumbling block. But it's well worth having for all the matches on it. I'm up to 1993, having just watched a Bam Bam Bigelow match from Barcelona (in Spanish), which is pretty much exactly the same as the KOTR 93 final contest. The Mr Perfect IC title change from Summerslam 91 has lost nothing at all with age - I seem to remember it being the runner up to Sting & Luger v The Steiners in the 1991 match of the year listings (well, at least the PWI one), and it certainly holds up much, much better than that match (the WCW match being a lot bigger on the moves, but generally doesn't bind together as well). I also got the opportunity to see the SNME match between The Harts and The Rockers for the first time, in what is a truely excellent match. The Harts play subtle heel in it, but it's really to no great extent (and is of course not picked up by Vinny Mac as an announcer). There's a wonderful bit in it where Michaels and Jannetty have just done their double hip-toss, elbow, nip-up combination on Hart, only for Neidhart to come in and wallop them with a double clothesline. Even the ddq finish doesn't take away from it, because Demolition come in for a wonderful three-way brawl. The Hart v Hennig rematch from KOTR 93 is up next. At the time, I regarded this as being the better match than the Summerslam one. We shall see if that remains the case...

RO&D VS. KENSUKE FAMILY CONCLUSION - ELIMINATION MATCHTAKA Michinoku, Taiyo Kea, Jamal, Buchanan & D-Lo Brown vs. Kensuke Sasaki, Genichiro Tenryu, KENSHIN, Katsuhiko Nakajima & Akira HokutoFrom:AJPW The Unchained World - 12/05/04

Adds this to never ending list.Sakura Hirota's Retirement match and cermony off Youtube :( Folllowed by Barbed Wire Ropes/Boards & Lighttubes intergender deathmatch Chigusa you are nutsOn Tapes and DVDToryumon X 7/12/03YOSSINO v Taiji Ishimorii've had this Toryumon X show for 3 years and thought i better watch it. Up to this point frankly Tym X has been shit. The four matches before this are rubbish. This isn't that fantastic but at least Ishimori showed some sort of improvement. I like the reverse 619 as well but it could have done with a better finish than the double pin.Milano, Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero v Kei Sato, Shu Sato, Henry Sugawara & Jorge RiveraThis was a lot better than i was expecting. I don't know if it's because i haven't seen Ultimo & Bucanero for a while but it was a lot of fun. I'm going to miss Milano :(Takashi Morishima & Takashi Rikio v KENTA & Noamichi Marufuji (Noah 16/7/06)I'd not seen anyone from this since 2003. I liked KENTA, thought Morishima had promise, Rikio was dull and Marufuji was frankly a waste of my time. This match ruled unbelievely HARD. Morishima is awesome, Rikio's still a little dull but fun, KENTA'S getting stiffer and Marufuji really looked(I can't believe i'm going to say this but) great. Is it my imagination or has his attitude completly changed a lot more serious and a little more grounded, he still does too many super kicks and there was two blown spots but really liked him here. The amount of times i popped for this was incredible and is it me are is Puro getting stiffer? Some of the kicks KENTA hit Morishima with was scary. When it ended on a 30m draw i was shocked i thought shit i've just watched the clipped version but i looked at the clock and it had been 30m. So good i watched it again the day after.Takashi Sugiura & Yoshinobu Kanemaru v Ikuto Hidaka & Minoru Fujita (Noah 13/8/06)I don't no if it was because i'd just watched the above match but this left me flat except for the last 5 minutes which where hot. I was expecting a blood and thunder interpromotional match but it took a long time to get goingThat's just a few i've watched this week i might add more tomorrow

I'm getting through WWF 1996 -The year in review tape. Ahmed Johnson was almost as bad as Lashley. I remember thinking he was rubbish back in the day, but I can't believe how bad he really was.

I've been watching my collection of In Your House videos. Just watched from 1 to 7. Diesel vs Shawn Michaels is a great match that is cool. Though it still freaks me out when Diesel pulls off Mad Dog Vachons leg.

• Paid Members

recently ive been getting a bit retro with the choices last match was the awesome Misawa & Kobashi vs. Kawada & Taue from ajpw in 93 (i think) i watched a few of the old dynamite kid vs. tiger mask matches on you tube which there is quite a few of. eddie gurrero vs. rey mysterio from haloween havoc 97 which i love the finish of coz id never seen anything like that till then which i remembered and also found on the tube. dug out heatwave 98 the other day and watched awesome vs. tanaka and on another tape i found i think it was march 98 first match on nitro (i think) kidman vs. ultimo dragon. i do miss nitro like :(

I've been going through the ROH on Dailymotion. Some good stuff. Some shit as well.As a fan of Matt Sydal, I didn't believe Lantern's rantings about his series with Daniels ... how could I be so wrong ? Their War of the Wire II match was dire. The PBP I did for it helped though and it ended up going over 3* on my scale. Watching the match without that was a chore.I'm gonna go into the ROH thread with my reviews soon, but there's a LOT so I think I'm gonna do eight at a time. Loved Davey Richards vs. KENTA.

recently ive been getting a bit retro with the choices last match was the awesome Misawa & Kobashi vs. Kawada & Taue from ajpw in 93 (i think)

I've got a copy of this but it's absolutley unfucking watchable :(

• 2 months later...

Heat this week is tremendous...

William Regal vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Big cheers for Hacksaw, lots of USA, USA, etc. Regal doesn't give a clean break after the two lock up, but Duggan returns with a few clotheslines. Regal rolls to the outside in pain, while Duggan plays to the crowd some more. Regal takes control after a back elbow in the corner, and hits Duggan really hard with some forearms. Regal proceeds to lay a nasty beatdown on Duggan, lots of elbows and knees. Hacksaw almost makes a comeback, but when he goes for a back body drop, Regal just knees him in the head. The match spills to the outside, and when they get back to the ring, Duggan manages to get a quick rollup for the win.

Only downside to the match was the quick finish, and it could have gone a couple of mins longer. Seriously, give these guys some build, some time and a match on PPV and they could pull off the match of the night. Damn fine match as it was though.

Snitsky vs. Someone

Quick squash - lots of knees from Snitsky whilst he has the jobber in a butterfly lock (ala Big Papa T). Hiptoss, boot and pumphandle slam leads to the win for Snitsky. Fun squash, did its job and the crowd counted along with the 1-2-3, which is always good.

Brian Kendrick, Paul London and The Highlanders vs. Lance Cade, Trevor Murdoch, Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas

The first 8 man tag on Heat in 7 years, apparently. Kendrick and London do most of the early work, lots of armdrags and cool counters. Soon, the heels get the upper hand and Kendrick is isolated. Highlanders hardly ever get in the match, which is good. Cade and Murdoch shout at Benjamin and Haas to play by the rules throughout the match, which is pretty fun stuff. Kendrick eventually gets a really hot tag segment and Robbie comes in, but soon everyone is in the ring. Kendrick gets a running flip off the apron, and London does a corkscrew plancha to the outside. Soon, one of the Highlanders gets left on his own, and gets the High and Low from Cade and Murdoch, so the heels pick up the win. Another really good match, goes about 10 televised minutes, which is lengthy for Heat.

Not watching a lot of wrestling at the moment but the last thing I watched was Bash At the Beach 1996 where Hulk Hogan does the biggest heel turn of all time joining the Outsiders Kevin Nash and Scott Hall to form the NWO. I love watching 90s WCW especially the early 90s before the NWO.I've started to watch a Stampede comp from 84-89 but only watched the first couple of bouts. Perhaps I'll post again once I've watched some more.

Last night, I watched Bret Hart v Steve Austin v Undertaker v Vader from In Your House: Final Four. I'd forgotten just how awesome this match was.The undercard for this PPV was thrown together and crappy at best, so the WWF was putting all its eggs into one basket with this match.Originally, it was meant to decide who would be the number one contender for WrestleMania 13's main event, following the screwy ending of the 1997 Royal Rumble, where Austin was eliminated by Bret Hart, only to return to the ring and punt out Vader, Taker and Bret to be declared the winner. However, when Shawn Michaels got wind of the booking plans and how he would be losing the WWF Title to Hart at WM in a rematch from the previous year, Michaels bailed out on the special Thursday Night Raw before IYH:FF, and vacated the title. President Gorilla Monsoon then decided the winner of the Final Four match would win the WWF Championship, and would face Sycho Sid the next night on Raw in their first defence, as he was supposed to face Michaels on the Thursday Raw.On a side note, because of Shawn giving up the belt and killing what would have been the main event of that show, Hunter Hearst Helmsley jobbed the Intercontinental Title to Rocky Maivia, triggering the whole "Rocky Sucks" chant as a sign of the fans rejecting the four-month rookie getting too much, too soon.***The rules of the match were under elimination rules, only you could be eliminated by pinfall, submission, or by being thrown over the top to the floor, akin to the Royal Rumble match from where this all stemmed from.The build-up took place throughout the card, with interviews with all four men, with Austin being placed as the outsider, on the basis that he'd not pinned any of the other three at any time. Austin retaliated by saying he'd won the Rumble by eliminating all three of them, so that puts him on an even keel.1997 was a fantastic year for big-time matches in the WWF, and this one really kicked it off. Vader was lacerated less than three minutes in thanks to Undertaker kicking a chair into his face, and everybody was made to look as strong as they could be. Vader in particular looked awesome, and wasn't made to look like the wet lettuce he had been portrayed as in his series with Shawn Michaels in 1996.Austin was naturally the first to be eliminated after being thrown over the top by Bret Hart, but it wasn't the last we'd see of him. Vader followed afterwards, after being knocked off the ropes to the floor by Undertaker - a moment which caused the hard-cam to shake thanks to the fans' reaction. Fair enough, we were left with faces Bret and Undertaker, but it was pretty clear the fans wanted Taker to win.But it wasn't to be.Austin returned to beat on Hart, but when Undertaker made a move to rid the ring of Stone Cold, Bret clotheslined Taker over the top to win the match and his fourth WWF title.Great booking meant Vader looked like a God, Austin and Bret's feud went to another level, Taker was pissed at Austin for getting involved and the fans believed Taker was going to become champion sooner rather than later.It all changed the next day when Sid pinned Bret Hart to become champion after Austin's interference, but it meant things were rolling towards WrestleMania. Just 4 days after Shawn Michaels ruined plans which would have been the culmination of a year-in-the-making story, we'd had two new champions, new possible feuds and the build-up to Hart v Austin in the best match WrestleMania has ever had.

Archived