The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

It comes recommended by a friend, so I'll give it a go, plus its fairly short so I don't mind the break after World Without End, which was very long.

I've asked previously, but does anybody have any recommendations for books to read? (Any genre/type). I'm reading anything I can get my hands on really, and only have 2 or 3 books to read after this one.

I still say that the funniest book I've ever read is The Disaster Artist, about the making of The Room. it probably helps if you've seen the film and are aware of Tommy Wiseau but it's the only book I've ever actually cried from laughter reading. I was reading a chapter one lunchtime at work and trying not to laugh but was shaking and crying from it, people thought there was something wrong with me.

I still say that the funniest book I've ever read is The Disaster Artist, about the making of The Room. it probably helps if you've seen the film and are aware of Tommy Wiseau but it's the only book I've ever actually cried from laughter reading. I was reading a chapter one lunchtime at work and trying not to laugh but was shaking and crying from it, people thought there was something wrong with me.

I am very much aware of The Room, after watching  being subjected to it recently, and the movie itself is unintentionally hilarious!

I'll add that onto my list, cheers Harry!

• Paid Members

The best way to watch The Room is to go to cinema viewings, as the whole purpose is to heckle along with the other viewers. A load of fun.

Just about to start reading "The Years Of Rice & Salt" by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's set in an alternate timeline where the West, devastated by the Black Death, didn't rise to dominate the world, so the East became the dominant sphere. It's sort of a combined theoretical alternate history with fictional story, so I'm looking forward very much to reading it.

Edited by Carbomb

It comes recommended by a friend, so I'll give it a go, plus its fairly short so I don't mind the break after World Without End, which was very long.

I've asked previously, but does anybody have any recommendations for books to read? (Any genre/type). I'm reading anything I can get my hands on really, and only have 2 or 3 books to read after this one.

I'd massively recommend The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamad. A great book that's incredibly well written.

I'd massively recommend The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamad. A great book that's incredibly well written.

Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky is one of my favourites and that's available in most bookshops. Would heartily recommend.

Awesome thanks guys, I've added those to my list!

Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but here goes:

Can anyone recommend a book that details an American police investigation? Need something for research for my MA...

David Simons; Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets us fascinating but doesn't focus on one particular investigation.

Perfect! Cheers!

• Paid Members

I’ve started picking up titles from the Very Short Introduction to… series published by Oxford University Press. They’re just small, 100-odd page books that touch on different subjects.

So far I’ve gone through Computer Science (as regret not studying it at university) and Mathematics. I’m now on with Politics (as I don’t really know anything about it but would like to) and Psychology (a subject that’s always fascinated me). After that, I have Encryption to start.

I’m really not one for novels/fiction, and they’re good for reading a chapter of before going to sleep.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

I just finished The Circle by Dave Eggers. I only started it about six days ago, so that's one sign that I absolutely loved it. The fact I'd probably rank it in my list of favourite books is another. It completely hooked me - gripping and unsettling and terrifyingly plausible. I really really liked it, basically.

Picked up 'Forever Young' by Oliver Kay the other day. Charts the story of Adrian Doherty, a very talented, Northern Irish youth footballer for Man United in the early 90's who never quite made it due to injury and alleged mishandling of it by united. He wasn't the stereotypical banter loving footballer though, and his story is really interesting and well told in the book. Have not read a sports book in a while, but glad I picked this up.