Mr.E Posted December 8, 2016 Posted December 8, 2016 (edited) Awesome, cheers Gus and Chest! Gives me something to read other than fiction for a change. Edited January 5, 2017 by Mr.E
Keith Houchen Posted December 8, 2016 Posted December 8, 2016 Worth checking out reviews of the particular translation you'll be getting. People translate it differently so check reviews and the translators stance, as that can overshadow the neutrality of their translation.
Guy Bifkin Posted December 8, 2016 Posted December 8, 2016 Worth checking out reviews of the particular translation you'll be getting. People translate it differently so check reviews and the translators stance, as that can overshadow the neutrality of their translation. I've had my fingers burnt by Sven Hassel too many times not to endorse this advice.
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted January 2, 2017 Paid Members Posted January 2, 2017 Have finished Tim Shipman's superb Brexit book after devouring it like a hungry political beaver. Essentially, everyone involved is either massively naive (generally Remain) or a complete cunt (mostly Leave if I'm honest). However, George Osborne of all people comes out as the only major politico with a shred of dignity or honesty. Apart from possibly Gisela Stuart.
children of bodom Posted January 4, 2017 Posted January 4, 2017 (edited) I love reading horrors about towns or city's getting isolated from everyone. I've read and watched under the dome and have read darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene Anyone know any others?? Edited January 4, 2017 by children of bodom
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted January 4, 2017 Paid Members Posted January 4, 2017 I love reading horrors about towns or city's getting isolated from everyone. Try 'A history of Swindon'.
children of bodom Posted January 4, 2017 Posted January 4, 2017 I love reading horrors about towns or city's getting isolated from everyone. Try 'A history of Swindon'. Read it twice and got the audio book. It's not as good as "slough the place god forgot"
Ian 86 Posted January 4, 2017 Posted January 4, 2017 Not sure if this counts, but I quite like the After the Fire trilogy (particularly the first one). https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/After-Fire-John-Lockley/0850095824
Mr.E Posted January 5, 2017 Posted January 5, 2017 After receiving it for Christmas, I've made a start on The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Only 50 pages in so far, and not sure if its good or not. I'm enjoying the general plot, although the way it's written and the 'place' its set is very jarring. It may take a little while to get used to.
Paid Members Tommy! Posted January 6, 2017 Paid Members Posted January 6, 2017 I read animal farm just before Christmas. Short but a great book. Not as good as 1984 but more accessible. I've got brave new world, Fahrenheit 451 and Catch 22 to see me through some trips in January if I need them. I forget who on here recommend Fahrenheit but from what I've looked up I think I'll enjoy it.
Mr.E Posted January 9, 2017 Posted January 9, 2017 I've got brave new world, Fahrenheit 451 and Catch 22 to see me through some trips in January if I need them. Not read Catch 22 yet, but the others (Fahrenheit 451 in particular) are very good reads.
Paid Members unfitfinlay Posted January 9, 2017 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2017 After receiving it for Christmas, I've made a start on The Gunslinger by Stephen King. Only 50 pages in so far, and not sure if its good or not. I'm enjoying the general plot, although the way it's written and the 'place' its set is very jarring. It may take a little while to get used to. It's nothing special. It does set up the rest of the Dark Tower series though which is great.
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted January 9, 2017 Paid Members Posted January 9, 2017 (edited) I'm chugging through a book called 'Second Hand Time' by Svetlana Alexievich. Verbatim interviews with Russian's after the collapse of Communism. It's excellent and really examines the psyche of Russian's who are obsessed with the country being perceived as 'great' over material wealth themselves. Equal parts tragic and fascinating. Edited January 9, 2017 by Gus Mears
Mr.E Posted January 11, 2017 Posted January 11, 2017 Just started: World Without End by Ken Follet I really enjoyed the first one, [Pillars of The Earth], so hoping this one is more of the same. I may be wrong, although this one is a bit longer as well, which will make it the largest book I've read so far. At least it'll keep me busy!
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted January 11, 2017 Awards Moderator Posted January 11, 2017 I liked World Without End. I didn't connect with any characters in the same way as Jack and Aliena in Pillars, but the plot and scope are similarly epic and you still get really invested in what happens.
Recommended Posts