The 'Currently Reading' Thread.

Guest Refuse Matt M

Worth checking out reviews of the particular translation you'll be getting. People translate it differently so check reviews and the translators stance, as that can overshadow the neutrality of their translation.

I've had my fingers burnt by Sven Hassel too many times not to endorse this advice. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Have finished Tim Shipman's superb Brexit book after devouring it like a hungry political beaver.

Essentially, everyone involved is either massively naive (generally Remain) or a complete cunt (mostly Leave if I'm honest). However, George Osborne of all people comes out as the only major politico with a shred of dignity or honesty. Apart from possibly Gisela Stuart.

After receiving it for Christmas, I've made a start on The Gunslinger by Stephen King.

Only 50 pages in so far, and not sure if its good or not. I'm enjoying the general plot, although the way it's written and the 'place' its set is very jarring. It may take a little while to get used to.

• Paid Members

I read animal farm just before Christmas. Short but a great book. Not as good as 1984 but more accessible.

I've got brave new world, Fahrenheit 451 and Catch 22 to see me through some trips in January if I need them.

I forget who on here recommend Fahrenheit but from what I've looked up I think I'll enjoy it.

• Paid Members

After receiving it for Christmas, I've made a start on The Gunslinger by Stephen King.

Only 50 pages in so far, and not sure if its good or not. I'm enjoying the general plot, although the way it's written and the 'place' its set is very jarring. It may take a little while to get used to.

It's nothing special. It does set up the rest of the Dark Tower series though which is great.

• Paid Members

I'm chugging through a book called 'Second Hand Time' by Svetlana Alexievich. Verbatim interviews with Russian's after the collapse of Communism. It's excellent and really examines the psyche of Russian's who are obsessed with the country being perceived as 'great' over material wealth themselves. Equal parts tragic and fascinating.

Edited by Gus Mears

Just started: World Without End by Ken Follet 

I really enjoyed the first one, [Pillars of The Earth], so hoping this one is more of the same. I may be wrong, although this one is a bit longer as well, which will make it the largest book I've read so far. At least it'll keep me busy!