Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
My laptop is having a few issues. Its fan is going to ten to the dozen at every opportunity, to the point where it's overheating and shutting itself down. I've run a malware scanner on it and it found fuck all and the task manager isn't showing anything obvious (not that I know what half the things listed on there are anyway), so I'm assuming it's down to my daughter looking at pictures of effeminate whiney campfires on websites hosted in Eastern Europe.

I'll run the scanner again under her login, but is there anything else I should be checking for?

Grab a free, safe tool called CCleaner. Once installed, there will be option to see which processes are set to run when the machine boots up. Use this link to find out which processes you can disable. Also, use a site called Shouldiremoveit.com and download their free software. Anything that flags up you should remove immediately. Finally, download Malwarebytes and run a complete scan to remove any malicious objects. I use these techniques all the time at work (I'm a technician) and they are trust worthy and supremely effective.

If that doesn't work then it more than likely going to be a hardware issue. The fan may need cleaning or replacing, there may be a motherboard issue or it could be a faulty component not doing its job and putting strain on the system.

• Paid Members

Cheers.

Malwarebytes is the one that I have and has served me well over the last few years, but it didn't find anything earlier this week, and I did the scan in safe mode under my daughter's login last night but it shut down before it could complete the scan (this was with the computer upturned and me blowing cold air into it too!). I ended up doing a system restore which has made a significant difference, but the fan will still go into overdrive if I'm running video or multiple windows.

Is Superantispyware still worth using?

• Paid Members

SAS is okay; not bad compared to everything else on the market but the best real time Anti-Spyware software is Kaspersky.

If you're getting similar results when you've cleaned out the system, it's probably going to be a hardware fault. The fan could be clogged with all kinds of garbage. Try not to let the issue simmer; too much overheating and you could actually damage the motherboard itself. If the tips i gave didn't really help matters, then you want to get that off to a repairman pronto so he can check it for hardware faults.

Surf, I've used Hitman Pro to catch malware/etc before when its not been detected by other programs. You can download a free trial here: Hitman Pro Link

Also check your power settings, my sons laptop was ok until one day he inadvertently messed with the power settings. It drove the fan mental and it sounded like it was ready to take off. After sorting it out, its been fine since.

Hope this helps.

• Paid Members
Driving me fecking mental this as it's not getting out of my head. What film was the late, great Chris Penn shown dancing very camply along to "Let's Hear It For the Boy"? Thanks.

That was Footloose, Baz.

I watched the remake of that yesterday. It's shit.

My argument is primarily based on that fact that whilst so much of it is a shot-for-shot remake, they didn't include this guy:

It's as if they wanted the movie to be a big steaming pile of wank.

If it still exists Zavvi.com have been good for that with me in the past, in fact when i pre-ordered the last Silent Hill game(Don't judge me it came with a free T-shirt) it actually turned up a few days early.

I've had the exact opposite of that from Zavvi, stuff I've ordered from them in the past that has taken weeks to turn up. Also the one time I pre-ordered a game from them, it turned up on the Friday after it was released. Even though they've been cheap for some stuff, the actual delay between me ordering stuff and it getting sent out has been torturous

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend some pubs/bars in Wolverhampton that are open until late on a Friday night? I'm travelling down there today for FightClubPro and it's the first time that I'm actually staying in a hotel rather than travelling straight back home. Can't stand clubbing these days but any good late-night watering holes would be great to round the night of with. Any suggestions?

I've been asked to come up with a playlist of for Friday's "Pi Day" celebrations at work. I drunkenly agreed on Friday but I must admit I'm struggling a bit. Themes for the songs have to be either mathematical, or about pies or circles.

Kate Bush - Pi

Radiohead - 2+2=5

Giorgio Moroder - E=MC2

De La Soul - 3 is the Magic Number

Pixies - Distance Equals Rate Times Time

Noel Harrison - Windmills of Your Mind

Probably need another 6 tracks but my brain just doesn't function correctly on a Monday morning - any ideas?

Archived