Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

McToney has been caught with steroids again, that probably explains his bitch tits. I am curious to why he has such a belly though. He has been banned for a year by the the California Athletics Commision, although since it is a second offence he should of been banned for life.

Judah vs Cotto was a cracking fight! Loved every minute of it. I was out of my seat when Zab stunned Cotto with that upper cut in the 1st round! His legs were gone! Shame he wilted under the pressure later on. I don't think a rematch is out of the realm of possibility...especially since this fight was so exciting!Anyone else enjoy Zab's 'Didier Drogba style' dives? :laugh: I think Ricardo Torres showed the world what can happen when you connect with Cotto's chin. Ever since then I don't think Cotto's been the same fighter...I think that aura of invincibility has now gone. Even Malignaggi gave him a good run for his money last year, and he's no puncher.Who's next for Cotto then? Aside from a rematch, I guess the smart money's on him fighting the winner from Williams vs Margarito.Although we can all wish for a fight against Mosley or PBF... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

quality weekend of boxing just gone by...two solid shows, main events and undercards all pretty fucking good:from Cardiff last night:Macarinelli/Braithwaite was a good battle, Big Truck is definatly one tough hombre he took some thunderous shots from Mac. It was a good fight, Big Truck was little too negative but the fact that it had the tension of just waiting for someone to land a bomb was awesome.Rees/M'Baye was a huge upset, M'Baye clearly thought this was gonna be a walkover, Rees is a little slugger he was in M'Baye's face the whole time and clearly deserved his victory. from America last night:Bernard Hopkins/Winky Wright more than lived upto the hype, everyone expected a boring fight but both guys came out aggresive, i dont think the gap was as big as the judges had it but i thought Hopkins had won it.the Hopkins/Wright undercard was fucking fantastic too...try checking it out.

• Paid Members

the Hopkins/Wright undercard was fucking fantastic too...try checking it out.

I cought the Linares/Larios match halfway through.. had no idea who they were.. just tuned in for the Hopkins/Wright fight.. it ended up being an awesome bout. Not too much defense compared to the main event. The knockout was really good aswell

• Paid Members

if you get the chance try checking out Katsidis/Amonsot too, its an absolute war.

It was a war indeed. Katsidis's marked up very badly indeed but he still gave it everything to win. Although he has pretty good power Katsidis does tend to slap a lot with the inside of the glove. It looks like he is landing lots of punches but all he is doing is landing a lot of slaps and expanding loads of energy. Katsidis is exciting to watch and the american's would have loved his all action style for the most part but he still has a lot to learn.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know whats happened with Vitali Klitschko?.. The last time I heard about him he was retired.. and I read somewhere recently that he just beat someone in the ring?What's going on with the Heavyweight scene these days anyway.. Its been quite a while since I paid attention to it!

What's going on with the Heavyweight scene these days anyway.. Its been quite a while since I paid attention to it!

Is anyone paying attention to it? I couldn't even name the four main champions. What is more scary is that apparently Matt Skelton will be getting a title shot my the end of the year. If he was in a title match ten years ago I would of feared for his life, now I just fear for the future of boxing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I found this article about Kirkland Laing, who is sometimes referred to as one of the greatest British fighters never to win a world title. He's probably most famous for beating Roberto Duran. I had completely forgotten about Laing until a few years ago. My brother's last job used to bring him round to various cab garages in London. These were invariably in terrible areas and at one in Hackney one of the guys who worked there pointed Kirkland Laing out to him. He looked older than his years, was swigging from a can of super strong cider in the middle of the day and, generally looked like a vagrant. The article, which I stumbled across while looking for something else, was written around the same time and deals with Steve Bunce trawling the estates and streets of Hackney looking for Laing in the hopes of conducting a video interview with him for a short documentary piece. He finds him eventually. If you go the link below, at the top right hand corner of that page, you will be able to view the two short video pieces that go with this article. From...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_rad...and/3186337.stm

Last Updated: Thursday, 28 August, 2003Finding a lost geniusBy Paul MiddletonBBC boxing producerKirkland Laing was called "The Gifted One", a genius within the confines of the boxing ring. He was an enigmatic individual who never did things the conventional way, and maybe that was his problem - life and boxing came too easily to a man who seemed to have a glorious future ahead of him.The Londoner won the British welterweight title twice, in 1979 and again in 1987, before going on to win the European belt in 1990.But it was for a fight of an altogether tougher nature for which Laing will go down in history - when he beat the great Roberto Duran in a fight that Ring magazine called the Upset of the Year in 1982. Laing dealt with Duran in 10 rounds, but it was the Panamanian who would have the last laugh.After that fight Laing had the world at his feet, he could and should have been a boxing superstar.Instead, he simply disappeared for over a year until the money from the Duran fight ran out and he had to fight again.While Duran went on to earn millions and a place in boxing's hall of fame, Laing vanished - his skill and success fading memories.As a result, he will be remembered for what might have been. If he had had the discipline to go with his talent then who knows what he could have achieved?We went looking for Laing to find out what had happened to him. Our reporter Steve Bunce had heard tales of drugs and alcohol, that Laing was in a bad state.Our search took us to Hackney, and for three days a BBC crew looking vaguely like undercover policemen trawled the area.Laing's council flat was deserted, and all we had to rely on were the vague tales of old men clutching their cans of extra-strong lager.But rumours had filtered through the Hackney underground, and one night Bunce got a call - Laing had agreed to meet us in his local park the next morning.We waited for hours, but eventually a hunched figure, wearing a full-length black coat and sporting a generous beard appeared in the distance. Laing needed a beer to get him going, but once he started all the memories came flooding out, and this dishevelled and broken man started to sound like the champion he once was.At 24 he was British champion, and three years later came his fight with Duran.But it all came too soon, and he admits he was not "mature" enough to cope. His winnings were spent on partying and women - often the night before a fight.In the ring, Laing was so talented he felt he could face anyone in any condition and emerge victorious; outside it his generosity to people he met was ruthlessly exposed.Nine years after his last appearance in the ring - when he was knocked out by Glenn Catley in five rounds - he lives in a world of drink and drugs on a shabby estate in Hackney, living day by day.Our interview put a spark back in his eye as he suddenly remembered what he had achieved - and what he had lost."I sometimes wonder," he said, "imagine if I had been sensible and disciplined. Sometimes I think about that."You can watch Kirkland's story via the video links at the top-right of this page.