Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Holyfield coming back is like when Ali repeatedly came back. Both had very hard careers and took a lot of punishment. Foreman was pro for five years before he fought the Rumble in the Jungle and was never tested in that time. He was then inactive for a year before coming back for another year and then retiring in 1977. Holyfield started out as a cruiserweight in 1984 and fought continuously for 18 years. He'd had a 15 round war before he even became a heavyweight. He needs to walk away. He needed to walk away before he faced Larry Donald.

Former Birmingham and Sheffield United midfielder Curtis Woodhouse will make his pro boxing debut on 8 September.Woodhouse, 26, will take on Dean Marcantonio of Eltham in a welterweight contest on the DebRA charity show at London's Grosvenor House hotel.The former England Under-21 midfielder left Grimsby to take up his new trade at the end of last season."Boxing has always been my first love, even as a kid, and I've always wanted to do it for real," said Woodhouse. I didn't win an FA Cup but I'm putting everything into winning a British title!Curtis Woodhouse"I was sparring in the boxing gym every day after football training and I never let the manager know what I was doing."Former British featherweight champion Gary De Roux has been training me and he has really put me through my paces."I know I'm ready to make a big impact. I didn't win an FA Cup but I'm putting everything into winning a British title!"Woodhouse's last game for Grimsby was the League Two play-off final against Cheltenham in May, which the Mariners lost 1-0.Higher up the Grosvenor House bill will be British and Commonwealth cruiserweight champion Mark Hobson's WBU title clash with Pavol Polakovic.Dagenham super featherweight prospect Kevin Mitchell takes on Andrey Isaev.

Joe Calzaghe will defend his WBO super middleweight title against Cameroon's Sakio Bika on 14 October at the MEN Arena in Manchester.It will be the Welshman's first fight since beating America's Jeff Lacy in sensational fashion in March.The 27-year-old Bika, who is based in Australia, has been defeated just once in 23 professional encounters.Calzaghe has been promised a "mega fight" next February by promoter Frank Warren if he comes through unscathed.Johnny Nelson will defend his WBO cruiserweight crown against Enzo Maccarinelli on the undercard, while Andy Morris defends his British featherweight crown against Steve Foster Jnr.The winner of next month's match between Sheffield's Clinton Woods and Glen Johnson is in the frame to fight Calzaghe in February, as are middleweight king Jermain Taylor and former light middleweight world champion Winky Wright.Warren is confident Calzaghe's IBF belt will also be on the line against Bika.The IBF is keen for its mandatory challenger, Robert Stieglitz, to fight for the title, but both Warren and the German's handlers have applied for an extension to allow Calzaghe a voluntary defence. They say it's difficult to find contenders for the BBC's Sport Personality of the Year, but Joe is the outstanding candidatePromoter Frank WarrenThat's because German TV dates are tied up on 14 October Mikkel Kessler's WBA/WBC unification fight with Markus Beyer.Bika put up a good show against WBC champion Beyer in May before the fight was declared a technical draw after four rounds when the champion suffered a bad cut.And Bika's only loss came against Australian Sam Soliman in 2002 when he dropped a majority decision."Bika comes to fight, he's never been stopped and he's a very tough opponent," said Warren."If Joe comes through the fight we've got a huge TV date lined up in February, so he certainly can't afford to slip up."At one stage we thought we had Markus Beyer but it took us so long to get the TV companies to agree the date, we lost him."We were then after Glen Johnson, but he decided to stay with the Woods fight."It's Joe's 20th defence and he's the longest-reigning world champion."They say it's difficult to find contenders for the BBC's Sport Personality of the Year, but I think Joe is the outstanding candidate."What other British sportsperson has dominated his sport like Joe Calzaghe has done?"Calzaghe, who pulled out of a proposed title defence in July with an injured hand, is confident he will be fully fit come fight night."I've been training for the last five weeks and I'm where I want to be at this stage and my hand's fine - I'm punching hard with it."Also on the Manchester bill, John Murray tackles Ricky Burns in a British super featherweight eliminator and Matthew Hall meets Andrew Facey in an English light middleweight title clash.

Nice one... a mention for Matty Hall... He was in the year below me at school and he should be a good boxerIn another news story they really got Curtis Woodhouse into boxing by sending a small bald man to his spanish resort and forced him into the fight by shouting "Grosvenor Hotel, Friday if they give you the pull yours name's Roundtree.... Grosvenor, Friday, Rowntree...you will, yes yes yes yes yes"

Edited by simon needle

• 2 weeks later...

Hatton has relinquished his WBA title. I used to like th eguy, but I hope Urango KO's the guy. Hatton thought he was the daddy and now he has realised, although a very good fighter, he is not as good as he thought. This is now two title he has won and not defended, which I really fucking hate.

So what did everyone think of Woods vs Johnson? First and foremost it was a cracking fight, action from start to finish. But as for the scoring, I can't believe that Puerto Rican judge saw Woods winning it by 4 rounds! IMO nobody won that fight by anything more than two, I personally gave it to Johnson by two and I think that Clinton was a very lucky boy to get that decision.

Your not the only one, Johnson was robbed in that fight. A draw maybe but Woods winning, no way.I'd love to see what rounds the judge gave to Woods. He never seemed to have control of the fight and the better boxer lost.The commentating was dreadful on ITV last night, fair enough he's a British boxer but I got sick of hearing how brave Clinton Woods was.I hope Woods fights Calzaghe next just so you can see how poor Clinton Woods really is.James Toney was beaten by Samuel Peters last night.

I was there in the building for that fight, I personally saw it as a narrow Johnson win, 6 rounds to 5 with 1 even. Johnson really dominated the middle of the fight, Woods came back well to win the last 3 rounds in my opinion, but I still had him behind. I could generously see it as a draw. No chance in hell did Woods beat him by 4 rounds, Ihave no idea what that guy was watching. It was a really hard, good fight though, it's a shame one man had to lose.

Definitely one of the British fights of the year. It was really close but I had Woods edging it by a round or two, so I think he was a deserved winner in the end. Great fight though and who knows, maybe a fourth outing could be in the offing somewhere down the line?By the way, is anyone showing the James Toney/Samuel Peter fight from last night?

I never watched the entire fight as I was shattered after nightshift and then the Scotland game, but after six rounds I had it as a draw and if I was to be picking a winner from then I would have had Johnson edging it. Pleased for Woods but I could tell it was going to be tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a wee heads up, i believe Barrera v Juarez is on SKY Sports tonight at 2am or there abouts ?Should be a good little contest, i've always had a soft spot for Barrera simply for making Hamed look very ordinary, and he's always exciting to watch.Good to see it's on live too with Unforgiven tomorrow it could be a very sleepy Monday at work.

Just a wee heads up, i believe Barrera v Juarez is on SKY Sports tonight at 2am or there abouts ?Should be a good little contest, i've always had a soft spot for Barrera simply for making Hamed look very ordinary , and he's always exciting to watch.Good to see it's on live too with Unforgiven tomorrow it could be a very sleepy Monday at work.

A man after my own heart.