Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Yeah Barrera can have a real nasty streak in him, if he coned him good he could have been disqualified so lucky in some respects. Remember when he smashed Naseems head of the ring post in the 12th round ? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:The scoring thing really is worrying. In the commentary you have Jim Watt who had no reason to be biased given the fighters, although i think he leans towards workrate a little to heavily as a defining criteria he is still very rarely far off the mark with his scoring and it all made sense. Then you have Letterman from HBO who again is very, very experienced and usually calls it right down the middle and had it scored pretty close to what i had (ignore whatever Larry Merchant score it as his opinion holds no merit for me but thats a different story). In addition to that you have THREE ex-world champions on the studio panel who all agree that the scoring was a farce........thats too many people on the same wavelength for it to be coincidence.One thing i will say is if you've been to boxing live the difference from TV is absolutely staggering. The big shots really drive home a lot more clearly, especially with the sweat against the dark ceiling and the noise from the fighters and reaction from respective corners, but as stated previously that big a margin of decision for Marquez AND Hopinks was shocking. :sneaky:

Edited by Stylin_and_Profilin

• Paid Members

did anyone see Evander Holyfield's fight on the weekend...holy fuck he looked impressive, i couldnt believe it.He was fighting a real brawler and Holyfield took him to school, he looked sharp and powerful. Maybe talk of a 4rd world title isn't complete nonsence.

Isn't Holyfield struggling to get a boxing license in either New York or Nevada because of his heart problems. i can't see him fighting for a world title anywhere outside MSG or Vegas for a world title can you.

He would fight in Texas. He wants to be champion again so he will fight outside of Nevada or New York. Not every big fight happens in those two states.

• Paid Members

The big fights that don't happen in those states happen elswhere because usually one of the fighters isn't fit enough to fight, as is the case with Holyfield. He looked tip-top over the weekend but if he dies in the ring or is injured because he sidesteps what are not that strict controls in Nevada or New York it is another stick that the anti boxing lobby can beat the sport with.

did anyone see Evander Holyfield's fight on the weekend...holy fuck he looked impressive, i couldnt believe it.He was fighting a real brawler and Holyfield took him to school, he looked sharp and powerful. Maybe talk of a 4rd world title isn't complete nonsence.

He was fighting Vinny Madalone for fucks sake - this is a guy who got schooled by Al Cole who is on of the most uninspiring Cruiser/Heavyweights of the past decade.Holyfield is a sad deluded fool and all an 'impressive' performance like his will do is take him one step closer to having his clock cleaned out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mayweather v De La Hoya next week. The first fight i've been genuinely counting the days till since Tyson/Lewis. It's great to have a proper 'superfight' feel to it - almost like being back at primary school all hyped the weeks leading up to a Wrestlemania.It's been like a bloody soap opera so far with all the trash talking and dramas with Mayweathers people. The smart money would be on DLH getting schooled and the passing of the torch, end of a great legacy and all that jazz and it is hard to see past Mayweather............however i have a sneaky feeling that Oscar might surprise one or two people. I can't see Mayweather knocking him out so it'll be interesting night. Also free to air TV on SKY Sports which is a great bonus.Thoughts ?

• Paid Members

cant wait either, its gonna be superb...boxing doesnt have many genuinely exciting fights these days, but this is one for the ages, simple as.ive always liked Mayweather but i'd love to see Oscar do a number on him in this, the build up has been insane.