Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...

From bbc.co.uk

Former world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is to step back into the ring in a bid to settle his spiralling debts.The 40-year-old will fight former sparring partner Corey 'T-Rex' Sanders in Youngstown on 20 October.The four-round bout is the start of what has been labelled by promoters as the 'Mike Tyson World Tour'.The American's last fight was in June 2005, when he suffered a humiliating defeat to Kevin McBride and subsequently announced his retirement. My physical condition is terrible - I am only able to fight for three or four roundsMike TysonTyson said last month he "truly hated fighting" but nevertheless is set end his 15-month hiatus and return to the ring."I do not know why people want to see me again - I do not deserve it," said Tyson. "I am not useful for society, but the public continue to follow me."My physical condition is terrible. I am only able to fight for three or four rounds."The money that I will receive from this tour will not help me a lot. But it will be useful for me, as it will do me good not to feel depressed."

If he did a four round match here I would probably go, it would be a giggle. I think Sanders will lay down for him, or Tyson will win on points.

Anyone else watch Jamie Moore vs Matthew Macklin last night? It was an unbelievable fight, my Fight of the Year so far. This was just an absolute war with Macklin getting stretchered out at the end but thankfully he is okay.

Indeed I did, it was a gripping fight. Shame Macklin knackered himself out so early as I thought he was just about winning it, but it was obvious he was out on his feet by the 8th. Next week that African guy who upset Martin Power is defending the commonwealth bantanweight title, that should be good to watch aswell.

Anyone else watch Jamie Moore vs Matthew Macklin last night? It was an unbelievable fight, my Fight of the Year so far. This was just an absolute war with Macklin getting stretchered out at the end but thankfully he is okay.

Indeed I did, it was a gripping fight. Shame Macklin knackered himself out so early as I thought he was just about winning it, but it was obvious he was out on his feet by the 8th. Next week that African guy who upset Martin Power is defending the commonwealth bantanweight title, that should be good to watch aswell.
Yeah I had Macklin up as well, but only just. Would really like to see them do it again.

Is anyone showing the Corrales/Casamayor fight tonight or on a delayed basis? Can't seem to find anything on Sky Sports' website.Apparently Corrales has failed to make the weight and has been stripped of his WBC lightweight title. The fight will still go ahead though...

• 1 month later...

I just finished watching the Pacquaio/Morales III fight. Wow...what an incredible atmosphere! Rey Mysterio was there carrying the Mexican flag for Morales.I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet but its a cracking little fight.Shame Sky didn't show it - but Bit Torrent is your friend if you want to see the fight in full. Or check out YouTube for highlights.Also don't miss AC Slater doing the post-fight interviews :D

Edited by LOPUK

• 1 month later...

If you've been reading the Obsever recently, here's an interesting article on how the Kameda fight went down (I do believe it was expected to do near-record ratings for a sporting event, which may well have happened, though you wonder whether it's ended up doing more harm than good)...**TOKYO, Aug 3, 2006 (AFP) - Japanese media on Thursday roundly booed bad-boy boxer Koki Kameda following his victory in a World Boxing Association (WBA) championship bout, saying he did not deserve to win the fight. The notoriously flamboyant 19-year-old was humbled to tears after judges awarded him the WBA light flyweight title on Wednesday even though he was pounded by his 27-year-old Venezuelan opponent Juan Landaeta. "A storm of booing," the Sankei Shimbun newspaper's headline said, describing reactions to Wednesday's title fight in Yokohama. "It was obviously a decision based on home advantage," the paper said. "Everybody thought Kameda lost the match. The decision will be remembered as a stain." More than 30,000 people called to complain, said the Tokyo Broadcasting System, which broadcast the match live. Viewership in the Tokyo area was nearly 53 percent, the second highest for a boxing match in Japan. Kameda suffered the first kockdown of his career in the fight's opening round and was cut above his right eye. He escaped the onslaught by clinching, though at one point he backed his Venezuelan opponent towards the ropes with a flurry of crisp jabs. Some of the audience left the arena after the bout in the hushed silence before the judges' decision was announced, assuming that the Japanese had lost. But the judges gave Kameda the title vacated by Panama's Roberto Vasquez. "A dismaying decision" and "Humiliating first down" ran headlines in the best-selling Yomiuri Shimbun following the controversial fight. Kameda -- who had strutted into the pre-fight press conference munching a hamburger -- said Thursday that his performance was "one on a scale of 10." "In the first round I was really nervous. I was so nervous that I could have fallen if someone just nudged me a little bit. I couldn't do my boxing yesterday," he said. Landaeata mocked his opponent, although he said he had no plans to protest the judges' decision. "Of course I won," Landaeta told reporters with a smile. "As everybody in the stadium saw, the judge was wrong," the Venezuelan said. "He is an extremely weak boxer. He is just a kid. He has a lot to learn." Japan's former lightweight champion "Guts" Ishimatsu said he scored the bout for Landaeta by seven points. "Oh, my God. How can such a man be the winner?" Ishimatsu said of Kameda. "Can a Japanese become the champion simply by standing in the ring?" However, Shinji Takehara, a former WBA middleweight champion, defended Kameda. "He suffered a down in the first round, but he moved forward and recovered well. The bout looked bad, but good and heavy punches were hit," the former champion said. Japan has developed a love-hate relationship with Kameda and his two brothers Daiki and Kazuki, who have swept the media with a bad-boy, big-mouth style. They are managed by their trainer-father Shiro Kameda. Kameda was hoisted victoriously in the air after Wednesday's bout by surprise visitor Asashoryu, the Mongolian sumo grand champion who has also been faulted in Japan for his super self-confidence. ...

Seems like he might have got another hometown decision...:TOKYO (AP) _ Japan's Koki Kameda defeated Juan Landaeta of Venezuela by a unanimous decision on Wednesday to retain the WBA junior flyweight title. After a slow start, Kameda took control in the later rounds, knocking Landaeta to the canvas in the eighth round. Kameda kept the challenger off balance for the remainder of the 12-round bout to keep the title he won in August. The judges scored the bout 119-108, 116-111 and 115-113 for Kameda. Kameda improved to 13-0 with 10 knockouts while Landaeta slipped to 20-5 with 16 KOs. Wednesday's fight was a rematch of a bout between the two boxers in August when Kameda won a contentious split decision against Landaeta to capture the title. Landaeta dominated the fight from the opening bell, knocking down the 19-year-old in the final seconds of the first round with a powerful right. But the Japanese boxer walked away with the champion's belt after judges scored the bout 114-113 and 115-113 for Kameda against 115-112 for Landaeta. Even Japanese fans at Yokohama Arena seemed shocked by the decision. By the 11th round, Kameda looked on the verge of collapse, delivering occasional head and body shots while his opponent sparred aggressively until the final bell. ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone else sit up for Barrera v Marquez last night?Just what your looking for at 3am to keep you awake, absolutely fantastic fight from start to finish with plenty of drama and controversy. Barrera is a little terrier with so much tenacity; the way he comes back so aggressively after taking strong shots is a joy to behold.

Sadly it wasn't enough and Marquez got the decision. Despite the controversial deducted point and subsequent clear knock-down which was NOT scored i had Barrera by one round, i dare say with that taken into account it would be a two point swing so therefore Marquez by one depending how the judges looked at it (ref instructed no knockdown and then -1 Barrera for an illegal blow) but for two of them to score it 118-110 is a fucking outrage. I can see no case whatsoever to say Barrera was the better man for only two rounds of that fight.

Download or catch the repeat if you can, it was on SKY Sports 2 last night so probably will surface at some point today or during the week.

• Paid Members

i watched it this morning (was on Sky Sports 2 at 9)...great fight.i really wanted Barrera to win, there's just something likeable about the guy (nice to see Hatton come to the ring with him). It was an incredibly close fight, most rounds id have score even. The drama in the 7th was great, its a shame Barrera couldnt keep his head-on cause that knockdown could have changed the whole fight. there has to be a re-match.

Fucking Sky+ cut out with 41 seconds of the fight left, will have to tape the repeat cause this is a fight I want to watch again. Great stuff, shame it wasn't a little closer on the cards but Barrera certainly did enough for a rematch.Also, what the fuck were the judges watching for Steve Forbes vs Demetrius Hopkins giving it to Hopkins by 8 points and 6 points. I gave it a draw, the UK commentators had Forbes by a point and the Americans had him by 2 points. I would have accepted it being scored a point or 2 either way but 6 and 8 is bullshit.

I watched Barrera vs Marquez, very good fight indeed, nice to see Barrera fighting more in this one than he did in the 2nd Juarez fight. I personally thought Marquez won the fight, but those score cards, particulaily 118-109, are just insulting to the intelligence, and to Barrera. No idea what the ref saw wrong with that knockdown either, all though Barrera clearly deserved the point deduction for that punch he through to a down man, which was ridiculously dirty.