Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Why? There was no coverage of the fight. If there was then I would. If you have to download a fight to see it then it's not a spoiler.

The fight is being shown on Sky Sports on Wednesday night :/
TV spoilers from the States I'll agree with hiding. Wrestling spoilers here to me is a joke but I play by the rule with it. Real sport spoilers? I'd rather quit coming to this board. If I tape a football match because I can't watch it live, I don't expect the world to stop talking about it around me. And if you come into a boxing thread and not expecting spoilers then you are an idiot in my book. There aren't even spoilers! I don't know why I'm even discussing this.

• 1 month later...

did anyone see the Gatti/Baldomir fight from last night...what a fucking tear-up that was!

Agreed, awesome stuff and exactly what we've come to expect from Gatti. Just a shame he couldn't get his last hurrah and win the legit Welterweight title. I just hope he calls it a day now on what has been one of the most entertaining careers in history.

• Paid Members

it was sad when he got stopped...Gatti i believe was winning the fight, he looked like he was getting better as the fight went on after suffering a dodgy start...Baldomir just layed it on big time in the 9th.sad to see Gatti lose, but no one can complain, great entertainment.

Indeed, it was a top fight. It sounds like this may be the end of the line for Gatti, which is a great shame as he's been the most exciteing fighter of this decade, but he's knocking on now and it's best for him to retire before he gets himself killed. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the welterweight division now, Baldomir is the linear champion but people were writing him off as just a one hit wonder untill now, but he beat Gatti and did so properly, he beat him up and knocked him out. Perhaps he's more than he's been made out to be? would he stand a chance against Floyd Mayweather, or Ricky Hatton?

He'd get absolutely murdered against Hatton.

Agreed. And against Mayweather too.Gatti vs Baldomir was an exciting fight but the step up in weight has proved too much for Arturo who should definitely hang up his gloves now in my opinion. He's been in far too many wars already and at the end of the day, we don't want him to get seriously hurt in there.Gatti said afterwards that Baldomir had the hardest punch he's ever been hit by- yet the guy doesn't even have a decent KO record. At the end of the day it was a bridge too far for Gatti, but the likes of Hatton, Mayweather and Cotto will be licking their lips at fighting Baldomir and adding another title to their ranks. The guy seems very beatable...It will be interesting to see who Hatton does line up next though...

Baldomirs a big welterweight. He's been fighting in this division all his career. I think he'd stand a good chance against Hatton, who really seemed to struggle with the light hitting Collazo. Floyd mayweather would probably school Baldomir, he's the best boxer in the world, but he's only fought twice at welterweight and you never know, the size factor could come into it.

If Collazo is too big for Hatton, then Baldomir is WAY too big for him. You're gonna have to get up on your toes and box this guy. Can you see Hatton doing that? He'll make it a war of attrition and he'll lose because Baldomir's too big and can fight that fight. He can take a shot. This ain't Carlos Maussa, this is a HUGE welterweight. Seriously, this guy's supposed to walk around at 185 and comes down quite a lot in weight to fight.If Zab ever fights again and ever gets in any semblance of shape, he'd beat the fuck out of Baldomir second time around, as he lost a tight decision last time when he was blatantly looking past him. Mayweather, being a slick, speedy boxer, will probably beat him too. However, Hatton needs to avoid Baldomir. See, he should be going after Cotto. Cotto's desperate to move up and isn't too big for him.

Why? Hatton's fought one welterweight, who by his own admission can't punch, and got rocked to fuck. I get the feeling Ricky is another British 'superstar' who may well get a reality check in the near future.
Collazo can't punch? What was he doing with a world title then?

Why? Hatton's fought one welterweight, who by his own admission can't punch, and got rocked to fuck. I get the feeling Ricky is another British 'superstar' who may well get a reality check in the near future.
You can win titles without hitting any decent punches, aslong as you keep your opponent on the backfoot and use your jab.

You can win titles without hitting any decent punches, aslong as you keep your opponent on the backfoot and use your jab.
Thank you for making a very obvious point, Collazo's success is built around solid, intelligent boxing.Robbie, the key part of my post was 'by his own admission'. Collazo openly admits he isn't much of a puncher and yet in the last round against Hatton he suddenly looked liked the re-incarnation of Thomas Hearns.Hatton is overrated and his conduct between fights will quicken his downfall.