Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Eastman was vastly overrated. He wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes with Benn, Eubank, Watson or Collins back in their day.

And yet he managed to go twleve rounds with Hopkins? Even the sleepwalking version of Hopkins that fought Eastman would have taken all of the above apart piece by piece - Eubank would have gone the distance because of his immense chin but th other two would have come off a hell of a lot worse than Eastman did.
Leave me out. Benn would have absolutely torn Hopkins apart. Bernard Hopkins, in my opinion, is arguably the most overrated figther I've ever seen. And I've seen plays more exciting than his fights. Honest to God - PLAYS!
Hopkins fights werent exciting because he was so good that he could - with the exception of the Jones fight - choose how he wanted a fight to go. You are aware that hopkins fought in a deliberately boring manner if he felt he was being underpaid? - just look at his madatory defences if you dont believe meAs for Benn tearing him apart - that really is comical. Please provide us with a least of the amazing fighters Benn has torn apart during his career - you'll find its short list and full of fighters who for one reason or another were shot to pieces (or in the case of McClennan weight drained beyond belief)
The fact you believe Hopkins fought deliberately boring fights says it all for me. Don't you think he was underpaid because he was so boring that people wouldn't pay to see him? He had his biggest ever purse against De La Hoya and still managed to send most of the audience to sleep. And he turned down a purse over $4 million to fight Joe Calzaghe.

Eastman was vastly overrated. He wouldn't have lasted 3 minutes with Benn, Eubank, Watson or Collins back in their day.

And yet he managed to go twleve rounds with Hopkins? Even the sleepwalking version of Hopkins that fought Eastman would have taken all of the above apart piece by piece - Eubank would have gone the distance because of his immense chin but th other two would have come off a hell of a lot worse than Eastman did.
Leave me out. Benn would have absolutely torn Hopkins apart. Bernard Hopkins, in my opinion, is arguably the most overrated figther I've ever seen. And I've seen plays more exciting than his fights. Honest to God - PLAYS!
Hopkins fights werent exciting because he was so good that he could - with the exception of the Jones fight - choose how he wanted a fight to go. You are aware that hopkins fought in a deliberately boring manner if he felt he was being underpaid? - just look at his madatory defences if you dont believe meAs for Benn tearing him apart - that really is comical. Please provide us with a least of the amazing fighters Benn has torn apart during his career - you'll find its short list and full of fighters who for one reason or another were shot to pieces (or in the case of McClennan weight drained beyond belief)
The fact you believe Hopkins fought deliberately boring fights says it all for me. Don't you think he was underpaid because he was so boring that people wouldn't pay to see him? He had his biggest ever purse against De La Hoya and still managed to send most of the audience to sleep. And he turned down a purse over $4 million to fight Joe Calzaghe.
People did pay to see him - Hopkins very rarely played in anything other than a full house.He was underpaid and he didnt get all of the fights he should have because he was an awkward bastard to deal with (which is also why he would often fight in a manner which cost him hardly any energy, got the win and got him home)He didnt fight Calzaghe because it was going to be made at super-middle, why would he take that fight at a time when all he was concerned with was breaking the middleweight title defences record?If you think the way he slowly picked apart De La Hoya was boring then frankly you dont deserve to watch the sport - Go watch fight night on the 360 if all you are interested in is haymakers

WBO Heavyeweight title match result

Click to Show/Hide

Lamon Brewster lost to Lyakhovich last night. Don King has lost two champions in two fights and we are now seeing an Eastern European domination of heavyweight boxing. If Klitchko beats Byrd and Maskaev beats Rahman it would be hillarious.

Matt Skelton won an easy warm up fight last night on itv 4. He beat some Russian guy by KO in 4 rounds. It wasn't much to watch but Danny Williams was there, he predicts he's going to knock Skelton out inside 4 rounds next time. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Audley Harrison boxing result last night.

Click to Show/Hide

Audley Harrison's career could be over after slumping to a unanimous points decision to America's Dominick Guinn at Rancho Mirage in California.

The 34-year-old Harrison was fighting for the first time since his much-derided defeat by fellow Briton Danny Williams last December.

But it was another dismal showing by Harrison, who only awoke from his slumber at the end of the final round.

Harrison, who won Olympic gold in 2000, has now lost two of his 21 paid fights.

It was also a crossroads fight for former contender Guinn, 30, who had lost three of his last five contests.

news.bbc.co.uk/sport

[/spoilers]

Not a surprising result.

Chris Byrd is defending the IBF heavyweight title against Wladimir Klitchko next saturday. If Wlad wins like most predict he will, 3 out of the 4 major world titles will be in the hands white Russians, perhaps marking the start of a new era in heavyweight boxing. However, I've got my money (literally) on Byrd, he lost in their first match, but in the 6 years since Wlad has suffered crushing KO defeats to little known opponents, wheras Byrd hasn't lost since and has been solid, if unspectacular. I reckon he could pull off the upset.

Chris Byrd is defending the IBF heavyweight title against Wladimir Klitchko next saturday. If Wlad wins like most predict he will, 3 out of the 4 major world titles will be in the hands white Russians, perhaps marking the start of a new era in heavyweight boxing. However, I've got my money (literally) on Byrd, he lost in their first match, but in the 6 years since Wlad has suffered crushing KO defeats to little known opponents, wheras Byrd hasn't lost since and has been solid, if unspectacular. I reckon he could pull off the upset.

Lyakhovich is Belarusian, but your point remains valid. The Eastern block is producing some dangerous heaveyweight fighters. They are good boxers aswell, entertaining to watch unlike the US HW's such as Ruiz and Toney.

Guest split_decision

Byrd doesnt have the power to Knock Wlad out which is highly worrying from his point of view seeing as Wlad has a chin made of paper. If it goes 12 (which I feel it will) there is only 1 winner, and it aint Byrd. Also Rahman has a mandatory due against Oleg Maskaev and the Mask boxes like he did to beat Samil Sam in the eliminator he beats Rahman easily. It's quite concievable that all 4 heavyweight belts could be in the Eastern Block by the end of the year.

Byrd hasn't got a chance of knocking him out, but Wladimir doesn't have good stamina and if he tires Byrd could take all the last few rounds, hopefully scoring enough to win on points. Thats what I hope anyway, there's no scope for making money on Klitchko.

Guest split_decision

but Wladimir doesn't have good stamina

So who was it that completely outboxed the very busy Sam Peter over 12 rounds? Wlad has way too much for Byrd, and if he stands up for 12, he wins, simple as.