Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Below are spoilers for the Roy Jones Jr fight, just in case any of you are watching the repeat at 12:00

Click to Show/Hide

Roy Jones decisioned Prince Badi Ajamu with three scores of 119-106. He looked good against a limited opponent, but I think he would get taken out by the top Light Heavies. He just looked a little too hittable to really be an elite fighter again.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=7794&more=1

Warren - Do you want Calzaghe, Roy? 02.08.06 - By Mark Pickering: Frank Warren has declared that WBO/IBO Super Middleweight Champion Joe Calzaghe would welcome a showdown with Roy Jones Jr. after the four-time world champion outpointed Prince Badi Ajamu on Saturday. Jones, 37, posted his 50th career win in a one-sided clinic in Boise, Idaho, to end a run of three defeats and temporarily silence his detractors. The American announced in his post-fight interview that he

If you've been reading the Obsever recently, here's an interesting article on how the Kameda fight went down (I do believe it was expected to do near-record ratings for a sporting event, which may well have happened, though you wonder whether it's ended up doing more harm than good)...**TOKYO, Aug 3, 2006 (AFP) - Japanese media on Thursday roundly booed bad-boy boxer Koki Kameda following his victory in a World Boxing Association (WBA) championship bout, saying he did not deserve to win the fight. The notoriously flamboyant 19-year-old was humbled to tears after judges awarded him the WBA light flyweight title on Wednesday even though he was pounded by his 27-year-old Venezuelan opponent Juan Landaeta. "A storm of booing," the Sankei Shimbun newspaper's headline said, describing reactions to Wednesday's title fight in Yokohama. "It was obviously a decision based on home advantage," the paper said. "Everybody thought Kameda lost the match. The decision will be remembered as a stain." More than 30,000 people called to complain, said the Tokyo Broadcasting System, which broadcast the match live. Viewership in the Tokyo area was nearly 53 percent, the second highest for a boxing match in Japan. Kameda suffered the first kockdown of his career in the fight's opening round and was cut above his right eye. He escaped the onslaught by clinching, though at one point he backed his Venezuelan opponent towards the ropes with a flurry of crisp jabs. Some of the audience left the arena after the bout in the hushed silence before the judges' decision was announced, assuming that the Japanese had lost. But the judges gave Kameda the title vacated by Panama's Roberto Vasquez. "A dismaying decision" and "Humiliating first down" ran headlines in the best-selling Yomiuri Shimbun following the controversial fight. Kameda -- who had strutted into the pre-fight press conference munching a hamburger -- said Thursday that his performance was "one on a scale of 10." "In the first round I was really nervous. I was so nervous that I could have fallen if someone just nudged me a little bit. I couldn't do my boxing yesterday," he said. Landaeata mocked his opponent, although he said he had no plans to protest the judges' decision. "Of course I won," Landaeta told reporters with a smile. "As everybody in the stadium saw, the judge was wrong," the Venezuelan said. "He is an extremely weak boxer. He is just a kid. He has a lot to learn." Japan's former lightweight champion "Guts" Ishimatsu said he scored the bout for Landaeta by seven points. "Oh, my God. How can such a man be the winner?" Ishimatsu said of Kameda. "Can a Japanese become the champion simply by standing in the ring?" However, Shinji Takehara, a former WBA middleweight champion, defended Kameda. "He suffered a down in the first round, but he moved forward and recovered well. The bout looked bad, but good and heavy punches were hit," the former champion said. Japan has developed a love-hate relationship with Kameda and his two brothers Daiki and Kazuki, who have swept the media with a bad-boy, big-mouth style. They are managed by their trainer-father Shiro Kameda. Kameda was hoisted victoriously in the air after Wednesday's bout by surprise visitor Asashoryu, the Mongolian sumo grand champion who has also been faulted in Japan for his super self-confidence. ...

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler for the other nights WBC heavyweight title match. It's not being televised by sky best as I can tell, but I'm giving a warning just in case anyone is watching it over the interent or whatever.Oleg Maskaev is the new WBC heavyweight champion, having defeated Hasim Rachman by TKO in the last minute of the twelth round. His win now means all the major world heavyweight titles are in the hands of fighters from former USSR countries, along with Wladimir Klitchko, IBF champ (ukraine) Nicolay Valuev, WBA champ (Russia) and Serguei Lyakhovich, WBO champ (Belarus). I've read that this was actually a pretty exciting fight, I'm going to try and see this along with the Lamon Brewster/Lyakhovich from a couple of months ago.

Hatton is dropping a weight and going to fight for the IBF Light Welterweight title according to Sky Sports and BBC.co.uk. He is expected to fight Urango on 8th December in Atlantic City. He obviously realised that he was being taken to the limit at Welterweight, when he can still make decent money at Light Welterweight and dominate the division.

Some mouthwatering fights coming up over the next few months! Here's the current schedule according to EB:Saturday Aug 19 - at Reno, Nevada (Delayed on Sky Sports)Paul Williams vs. Sharmba MitchellSaturday, Sept. 2 - at Bolton Arena, UK (Live on ITV)Clinton Woods vs. Glen JohnsonSouleymane M'baye vs. Raul BalbiTakaloo vs. Michael JenningsAmir Khan vs. TBASaturday, Sept. 2James Toney vs Samuel PeterRobert Guerrero vs. Eric AikenFriday, Sept 15 - at Alexandra Palace, London (Live on Sky Sports)Junior Witter vs. DeMarcus CorleySaturday, Sept. 16 - at Las Vegas, NV (Live on Sky Sports)Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Rocky JuarezJorge Barrios vs. Joan GuzmanJhonny Gonzalez vs. Israel VazquezHugo Fidel Cazares vs. Nelson Dieppa.Saturday, Oct 7 - USANikolay Valuev vs. Monte BarrettTomasz Adamek vs. Paul Briggs Andrew Golota vs. Kevin McBride (??) Saturday, Oct. 7 - at Las Vegas, NVDiego Corrales vs. Joel CasamayorSaturday, Oct. 14 - at Copenhagen, DenmarkMikkel Kessler vs. Markus Beyer. Saturday, Nov. 4 - at Las Vegas, NVFloyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Carlos Baldomir Saturday, Nov. 11 - at MSG, NYC Wladimir Klitschko vs Shannon Briggs/Oleg Maskaev (???) Saturday, Nov. 18 - in Las Vegas, NVManny Pacquiao vs Erik Morales IIISaturday, Dec. 2 - at Atlantic City, NJMiguel Cotto vs. Jose Luis Castillo (~)Antonio Margarito vs. Joshua ClotteySaturday, Dec. 9 - at TBA, USARicky Hatton vs. Juan Urango (??)

Hatton is dropping a weight and going to fight for the IBF Light Welterweight title according to Sky Sports and BBC.co.uk. He is expected to fight Urango on 8th December in Atlantic City. He obviously realised that he was being taken to the limit at Welterweight, when he can still make decent money at Light Welterweight and dominate the division.

Seriously.... WTF? The same Juan Urango he turned his nose up at before? Ricky Hatton's camp make me fucking sick.On a cheerier note, if anybody I know was interested in boxing and would go with me, I would consider chucking

Main problem is it is gen admission, but not necessarilly so bad. Anybody been to Alexandra palace before for boxing, view any good? I was near the back for the Calzaghe/ Lacy fight and the view was still fucking ace and the MEN is far bigger than Ally pally.

Evander Holyfield begins a comeback on Friday which he hopes will end in an unprecedented fifth world title.America's former undisputed heavyweight champion, now aged 43, fights journeyman Trevor Bates in Dallas.Holyfield has won only one of his last six fights, and his last loss was so was lacklustre that New York boxing officials revoked his licence.But the four-time title holder said: "I am supposed to retire on top and I know that I can."Holyfield had no problem getting a licence in Texas, and he weighed in on Thursday at 100kg (220lbs).Bates, who has a 2-11 record and had quit the ring before Holyfield came calling, came in at 102kg (225.5lbs).Holyfield, who claims to have a ranked opponent lined up for his next bout, said: "This is just to let people know that I can fight.He plans to have a title fight in 2007 and to have all the belts around his waist, "by the time that Olympics comes," in 2008."When they put out the flame, I'll be retired," he said. "Maybe right there in Beijing."The four significant world heavyweight titles are currently held by four different boxers, and Holyfield believes his return to the fray will create a stir."People are going to say 'can he do it?'. That's going to bring interest," he said. "If I just beat one of them guys, everybody will go crazy."

bbc.co.ukYou can always rely on Texas. Edited by Jamianity

• Paid Members

it's definatly a sad story for Evander...the guy is a legend but he's ruining himself. this Bates guy doesn't deserver to be anywhere near the same ring as The Real Deal...although it would be a fairy-tail if he got to a title shot at this point, it's pretty much never gonna happen.i think everyone just fears the worst everytime he gets in there now.

Bowe has made a minor comeback against 3rd rate opposition over the past year or so as has Tommy Hearns so it seems quite the trend these days.As for Holyfield he's obviously going down the slippery slope of not knowing when to quit like Ali, Holmes and to a lesser degree Tyson. Foreman was in worse physical condition and older when he came back into what was, i'd say, a better quality heavyweight division back then so Holyfield has every chance although i do agree it's a bit silly and he should call it a day.

You cant compare foremen to Holyfield. Foreman was an oak of a man with a huge jab, he also fought handpicked bums until it was absolutely necessary to take a step up.Even when Holyfield was fighting well his fights were tough and the effects are obvious. holyfield has had one of the hardest careers in the modern era - he even gets credit for being the guy who ended the practice of boxers not swallowing water between rounds because he very nearly died of kidney failure in the ring.Watching him over the past few years has got increasingly sadder, the mind knows what to do but the body simply cant react anymore.