Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

i'm just waiting for the day Amir Khan gets his arse handed to him!!

Well I doubt Gairy St Clair will be the man to do it who has now bene confirmed as his next opponent. This is a guy who has fought against the likes of Diego Corrales & Vivian Harris (and only lost on points to both) but that was nearly a decade a go and recent form is not promising. He has lost 2 of his last 3 and that 1 victory was a 6 round points decision over a guy who had lost twice as many as he had won! KO rate of just under 50% so doubt Khan will be trembling going in to the ring.It is a pity he won't be in the ring with Thaxton as that is a fight I want to see on domestic level and for a world title I would like to see him against Katsidis. Now THAT would be interesting.

Is that assuming Katsidis wins the proposed match with Joel Casamayor (as I expect him to)?I really, really hope ITV keep at least Amir Khan bouts on. The bi-monthly exposure on itv has contributed more to the recent boom in British boxings popularity than anything else.

Is that assuming Katsidis wins the proposed match with Joel Casamayor (as I expect him to)?I really, really hope ITV keep at least Amir Khan bouts on. The bi-monthly exposure on itv has contributed more to the recent boom in British boxings popularity than anything else.

No, I don;t think that result will rule the fight out of the window. If Katsidis loses I still think that a fight with Khan could possibly be on the cards.

It has been confirmed that Junior Witter will defend his WBC light-welterweight title against Demetrius Hopkins in America on March 22. I reckon Witter will kill him because Hopkins is nowhere near as good as his uncle is/was and believes his own hype. Hopefully this will lead to the Witter/Malinaggi fight as Hatton won't take him on.

Having finally seen Hopkins vs Steve Forbes from the contender a few weeks ago all I can say is for Witters sake I hope he knocks him out conclusively. Anything else and he'll lose, I wouldn't be suprised to see the ref give Hopkins a 9 and a half, 9 and 3 quarters type count.

So, a very brief review of the weekends boxing action. Firstly, the Esham Pickering Vs. Sean Hughes match on Friday was an absoloute belter. You thought Esham was going to get his ass handed to him like he did in their last fight in November but showed true fighting spirit and put on a great display. A very early contender for domestic fight of the year.Matt Skelton fell short against Chagaev but done much better than anyone expected and I take my hat off to him. I hope he doesn't retire as he could well get another title shot against one of the other 'champions' at the weight and take a belt as Chagaev is by far the best champion in the division at the moment.After watching the Jones Jr undercard one song came to mind...'Who's that looking over the hill, is it Golota, IT IS GOLOTA!!!'Yeah, the fight was OK as a slug fest but Golota hsould have had his man out of there from round 7 onwards. he had no legs and virtually no punch resistance. If he knew what a 'side-step' or 'uppercut' were, that match would not have gone half as long.As for the main event, Trinidad looked superb physically especially considering he had been out for the best part of 30 months. He looked sharp, good physique and his timing was spot on. Jones Jr. was ever the showman and his antics in the 3rd round amused me (and reminded me of King Hippo a little). The match itself was close and tight and I wasn't sure which way the fight would go... until the last minute of the 6th round. From then Roy Jones decided to stop messing about show why he was considered the best pound for pound boxer in the world and was dominant. I think throughout the fight both showed they are quality operators but the lack of power Trinidad had was so obvious and if he does continue to box I hope to hell he doesn't do it at light heavyweight as he just doesn't have the power shots required at that weight. So assuming Calzaghe beats Hopkins, will there be a Jones Jr. match on the cards? I hope so as I think Calzaghe could give Jones Jr. the spanking that could end his career.

Edited by rubbafish

Ricky Hatton said on Sky Sports News that he wants to fight Oscar De La Hoya.

Now that would be funny. It wouldn't even be competetive, it would just be Ricky getting his clock cleaned for three or four rounds by someone who is about a 20 pounds heavier than he is.
Exactly, the full interview he said it would probably have to be at a catchweight like the Trinidad/Jones Jr fight this weekend and I can see a similar result i.e. the larger man winning. I have lost a bit of respect with what he has said about Witter (basically why should I fight him to give him a huge pay day when he speaks badly about me)... oh yeah, Pretty Boy was full of compliments wasn't he! It is such a cop out.

• Paid Members

Does Setanta have any big/potentially good fights on before July, besides Calzaghe-Hopkins?

Yeah. Macaranelli Vs. Haye on 8 March.
Ah, that's the one I was thinking of. I'm working out whether it's worth subscribing before the UFC deal in July - if there's a UK UFC show in March as planned, that'll probably be the tipping point for me.