Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I seriously can't wait till Amir Khan get's knocked for six, I'll support him but he's gained a Prince Naz complex about him which frankly I don't care for... On another note they should get Hong Man Choi (Sp?) into the heavyweight division he's a monster, just watched his fight with Fedor, who could live with the power he put into them punches? It was only 2:43 long and Fedor's face was blasted.

On another note they should get Hong Man Choi (Sp?) into the heavyweight division he's a monster, just watched his fight with Fedor, who could live with the power he put into them punches? It was only 2:43 long and Fedor's face was blasted.

No. He can't box and would get murdered by a half-decent boxer. His punching looks effective because he is competing in an environment that also allows kicks/takedowns - once you remove those two elements your punching has to be much more effective in terms of its variety and execution in order to land. In a pure boxing environment he would look like a lumbering oaf.Then again looking at todays division he'd probably go quite far and earn a fair amount of money before he bumped into anyone who you would call decent.

On another note they should get Hong Man Choi (Sp?) into the heavyweight division he's a monster, just watched his fight with Fedor, who could live with the power he put into them punches? It was only 2:43 long and Fedor's face was blasted.

No. He can't box and would get murdered by a half-decent boxer. His punching looks effective because he is competing in an environment that also allows kicks/takedowns - once you remove those two elements your punching has to be much more effective in terms of its variety and execution in order to land. In a pure boxing environment he would look like a lumbering oaf.Then again looking at todays division he'd probably go quite far and earn a fair amount of money before he bumped into anyone who you would call decent.
Agreed. If punch power was enough, Butterbean and Valuev would be unstoppable but that is not the case. Also I don't think Khan has quite hit Hamed levels of smugness. He is confident he can do a job at a higher level but he isn't saying he is the best in the world, just he wants a chance to mix it at that level.

Like how Barry Bonds is tainted by the Balco scandal, the whole allegations of years-long cheating with his handwraps has really made me doubt Trinidad and how good he really was.

That issue was 'addressed' 4 years ago!N.B. - I knew I read this somewhere before...Dog House Article about Trinidad Edited by rubbafish

Khans fight is on Saturday- bookies have him at 1/10 to win, so I can't see any surprises. The undercard is Michael Jennings V Ross Minter- should be a good fight . Might well be one of the last EVER live shows on ITV, too. The way its going, boxing seems to have moved to the sports channels now.

Khans fight is on Saturday- bookies have him at 1/10 to win, so I can't see any surprises. The undercard is Michael Jennings V Ross Minter- should be a good fight . Might well be one of the last EVER live shows on ITV, too. The way its going, boxing seems to have moved to the sports channels now.

Agree about the undercard, very good fight there. It is a shame that ITV won't stick it out with the boxing but when they aimed to get the same kinda numbers as they did back in the day with Eubank/Benn/Watson they really did aim too high. I reckon Khan fights will end up on Setanta which is no bad thing IMHO.As a side note, April is looking tasty now with the Clinton Woods Vs. Antonio Tarver fight being confirmed. If an ageing Rocky can kick Tarvers ass, imagine what Woods will do to him :D Edited by rubbafish

Well, Khan really looked the part this weekend. Nas in his prime never looked that dominant against a fighter of that calibre. Was a real quality performance.Thought you might like to know what is upcoming in the coming months...Feb 8 (Sky Sports) - Ajose Olusegun v Nigel Wright Feb 10 (Setanta) - Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr v Jose Celeya, Jorge Arce v Johnathan Perez, Bernabe Concepcion v Juan Ruiz Feb 17 (Setanta) - Kelly Pavlik v Jermain Taylor, Fernando Montiel v Martin CastilloFeb 22 (Sky Sports) - Darren Barker v Steve Bendall Feb 24 (Sky Sports) - Wladimir Klitschko V Sultan IbragimovFeb 29 (Sky Sports) - Kevin McIntyre v Kevin Anderson Mar 7 (Sky Sports) - Kiko Martinez V Rendall MunroeMar 8 (Setanta) - Enzo Maccarinelli v David Haye, Kevin Mitchell v Carl JohanssenMar 9 (Setanta) Oleg Maskaev v Samuel Peter, Juan Diaz v Nate Campbell Mar 15 (Setanta) - Manny Pacquaio v Juan Manuel Marquez Mar 22 (Setanta) - Gavin Rees V Andreas KotelnikMar 29 (ITV1) - Carl Froch v Denis InkinApr 12 (Setanta) - Clinton Woods Vs. Antonio TarverApr 19 (Setanta) - Bernard Hopkins v Joe CalzagheSome very good stuff coming up there and that is just the first 1/3 of the year... oh yes, boxing is very much on the up again.

Edited by rubbafish

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone not picking Klitschko? I know he's got a reputation for having a glass jaw but he's miles bigger than Ibragimov and I've never seen Ibragimov display the kind of power that usually does in Klitschko.

That heavyweight bout was insufferable, Ibragimov tries to jab a guy 7 inches taller and Klitschko looks terrified everytime he gets within a couple of yards of his opponant. Thank god John Duddy was on afterwards to wake me out of my coma, excellent fight.

• Paid Members

Klitschko/Ibragimov was the worst possible fight the heavyweight division could have had at this point...they hyped it big time as the big 'unification' bout...finally a legit champ. And it fucking stunk.it was just a style clash, can't really blame either guy...aggression was lacking on both guys part, but Klitschko was doing enough to win so he wasn't gonna change (that aint his style) and Ibragimov's only hope was to land one of them hooks he was throwing (which constantly missed). Poor, poor fight.Duddy/Pavlik may be very well be a massacre, would be exciting though :devil: