Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Canelo vs Khan went about how everyone expected. I thought Khan looked good the first few rounds but you could just sense it was a matter of time until Alvarez uncorked something nasty and Khan was never going to weather it. As soon as that left hook landed in the sixth and Khan backed up I thought the writing was on the wall, and sure enough an absolute sledgehammer of an overhand right wasn't far behind. There was no getting up from that shit.

Was pretty much coming in to post what you did Wand. Caught the fight this morning and it was depressingly predictable. Khan is such great entertainment, but half of that I because you're constantly expecting his chin to go.

Khan was doing well through the first four rounds. He started to slow in the fifth and the cut on the eye from the left hook was a warning sign. Then he slowed down even more in the sixth. Canelo's reaching body shots were grazing throughout but the right to the body and then left to the head of Khan got him dizzy. Then came the knockout punch.

4EPZZHD.gif

• Paid Members

I think the Sky commentators were that relieved & happy Anthony Crolla retained his world title, they just spouted a load of rubbish to try and enhance the narrative. Excellent tactics or Barroso just wasn't that good. Barroso was out of gas after 6 rounds and hadn't taken any punches all night. Now that's not right. Nobody seemed to acknowledged this, yes your energy has been depleted but you've been teeing off on the other guy for 15 minutes and he's still fresh as a daisy.

The commentary was absolutely appalling. Watt seemed to change his mind every 15 seconds as to whether Crolla was gettiung battered or was a tactical genius.

Personally, I think the latter. I thought he went in there to defend well and let Baroso punch himself out. He took a few hits through his gloves but generally, he knew what he was doing. The first two rounds Baroso was hammering punches in. Then the next two he was throwing loads but Crolla was tagging him with clean punches everytime he wanted. Then Baroso hit a wall and Crolla took over. The finish was defalting but it was a good fight for six rounds.

I fell aslepp watching the Chisora fight. Fuck that was dull. Maybe livened up but I don't know, I was asleep.

Glad to see Tommy Coyle back in action but the fight was shit. First dull fight I've ever seen Tommy in. Hopefully enough to shake off the rust and get him some confidence in his body.

Listened to the Khan fight. Sounded like he was outboxing Canelo but his glass chin let him down again. Was a hell of a punch mind.

• Paid Members

Nothing to do with a glass chin, that punch would have KO'd 99% of middleweights. Khan got a sold a jab and got his square on the chin. The fight played out exactly as most predicted, Khan didn't disgrace himself but there was always a danger that the punch was coming. Canelo has to fight GGG.

13173960_10154135378027604_8689732767863

I missed the Crolla fight, i stupidly logged into my Ladbrokes account yesterday and saw that my bet was still open and Crolla was on my acca so i knew he'd won, school boy error. Hell of a win though, not many people favourted Crolla going into Saturday's fight. I'd love to see a Crolla/Flanagan unification fight but it doesn't sound like it's going to happen listening to Eddie Hearn post-fight.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I missed the Crolla fight, i stupidly logged into my Ladbrokes account yesterday and saw that my bet was still open and Crolla was on my acca so i knew he'd won, school boy error.

Yeah, I pretty much spoiled it too. I saw a tweet from AJ. Didn't stop me enjoying the fight though. Jim Watt did!

I know glass chin is harsh given that punch but it's always been his weakness. He's a beautiful technical boxer but he can't take a punch. That punch was great but the previous one left him open because he's not got the chin. Such a shame, he'd have dominated that division if he could take a blow.

Echo the thought's of Sky commentary, beyond dreadful, during the Del boy fight they're scoring seemed way-off  to me also, excluding the fact that the judges scoring was messed up, Sky where giving rounds to Pulev and making them come across like Chisora hadn't thrown a punch the whole round, when in actual fact a few of them were one Pulev just nabbed by being a tiny bit more active. Smith and Watt do my head-in. It's interesting to the US audiences who watch on the same stream as I can't bare the bias commentary thing over here, it's just shocking. It's like they're doing a Michael Cole heel job, just with supporting anyone vaguely British rather than the 'enemy.'

• Paid Members

Chisora had a real frustrating night. Pulev did a bit of a Klitschko, as soon as Del Bou would engage Pulev would tie him and stop him doing any meaningful damage. From range it was all Pulev and he slowly broke Chisora down.

Del Boy apparently turned down big money to fight Joshua to take that Pulev fight too, he said that that after beating Pulev he would double what he was orginally offered to fight Joshua. Boxing doesn't always pan out as you'd hope.

• Paid Members

Watt is utter shite, but Nick Halling is worse. He knew Fuck all about American Football and he stunk that up for ages, and now he provides shite commentary on the boxing. What exactly are his qualifications anyway? I know he was stadium announcer at Southampton but what else has he done?

• Moderators

Nick Halling knows American Football fine, he certainly piss all over Kevin "Tired by 9" Cadle. If you compare him to Carlson he looks shite, yeah - But Mike Carlson is thr best pundit working in any sport, anywhere.

Put me in with the Jim Watt haters. As others have said he was tearing into Crolla for fighting the wrong fight until he won. Then Watt acted like he'd knew all along Crolla would do it and his tactics were spot on. If I never hear Jim talk about a fighters "wok" ever again it'll be too soon.