Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Yup! So do we take Eddie's threat of a show on July 9th that seriously? Certainly sounded like it was set up as a legit thing.

Interesting if it goes ahead. All depends on Joshua's opponent surely? A ten pound BoxNation subscription or a £17 AJ Show against another relative nobody? Public interest probably swings to AJ but I'm not certain.

Despite it being pencilled in for July 9th, Hearn has an inkling that Fury vs Wlad 2 won't happen.

Whether he has inside information to support this hunch or not is anyone's guess. During fight week he seemed very keen on making Joshua vs Fury. Hearn even mentioned that it could happen in late Summer (based on the above belief). It's probably bravado, but who knows. 

If I were to guess, one of them won't end up taking place on that specific date (probably Joshua's defence). I don't see a head to head clash. It would just piss off the fans and cost both potential business. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Me either, but does seem weird and does kinda tie in with Fury's earlier tweet. Sky wouldn't take AJ of PPV and put him on there sports channel as a one-off would they? Take a pot of potential buyers away from BN plus they could pin it down as something to do with having limited other major reasons to subscribe when the footballs not on.

Doubt it But a theory.

• Paid Members

Malick Scott tweeted saying he's already signed contracts to fight AJ next. That's another blowout right there, Scott tried to pull the 'misinterpreted the count' trick against Del Boy a few years ago, and it looked like he took a flat out dive against Deontay Wilder.

Eddie Hearn trying to pull the old Vince trick, didnt he put the Rumble or Survivor Series on free tv when NWA had a ppv? I wouldnt be suprised if Joshuas fight is a voluntary against Delboy, Scott or someone of similiar elk that it would be on Sky Sports.

AJ does seem such a nice chap, but i want to see him knocked out to or schooled by Big TF just to slow down the hype train a while.

Haye needs to piss off and shut up. He's nothing but a weasel, on about a snoozefest between Fury and Klitchko. He bottled it from Wlad in their fight and i believe genuinally bottled it from TF before their fight.

All hail The Gypsy King.

Just seen a few clips of The Pacman fight. Looks as good as ever. He isn't retiring based on that performance.

Martin just said he mistimed the count. Yeah, he tried to get up but his body was telling him to stay down. He was hit with the right hook twice in 10 seconds per knockdown. Another one of those and he wouldn't have had a choice to get up. Martin must be one of the worst world champs in history. He wins the belt after his opponent retires from a knee injury, then loses it within two rounds in the next fight. He made £4m doing it tonight, so he might as well retire.

He made £4million??? That can't be right surely.

Anyway, Joshua looked strong but that was shit competition for him.

• Paid Members

Really pleased for Joshua. Absolute class above a supposed "World Champion". That second right hand was a nonchalant thing of beauty.

Great post from Wand on the PPV argument too. Throwing in the terrestrial argument is very true too. Ebb's response that it's not enough money for Hearn just adds to the short-term thinking debate.

I read a great article last year around Sports Personality time about the England Cricket team and how they're less revered these days because they're exclusively on Sky so people aren't seeing them. Joe Root should be the biggest sporting star in this country right now. He's certainly the one who delivers the most often and I'd bet most kids particularly would struggle to pick him out of a line-up. I think Boxing is the same. How many of your general public know that Lee Selby, Kell Brook, Billy Jo Saunders, etc are World Champions. How many knew about Frampton and Quigg before their fight got a lot of publicity?

I think AJ has an advantage because people know him from the Olympics, like DeGale, so he's in the public conscience as is Tyson Fury because he's a homophobic, misogynistic gobshite but who else is? I bet Eubank Jr is up there because he's on Channel 5 (and he's Eubank's son in fairness).

I really like Boxing, I just hate to see it eating itself.

• Paid Members

This was one of those fights where I genuinely didn't know what the fuck would happen because I knew so little about Martin. All I'd seen was his last fight (which didn't tell us that much and he won via his opponent getting injured) and a few clips here and there. Yet everyone I spoke to seemed so sure one way or the other. I had people saying Joshua was going to just steamroll him then I had other people saying they fancied Martin and that he'd definitely give AJ some bother. I don't really know what either prediction was based on. Especially the pro Martin ones because nearly everyone I heard or read predicting a Martin upset was also saying 'well, we don't know much about Charles Martin but...' So what are you basing your prediction on? Everyone just wants to be the expert, don't they? Predicting a Martin win so that, on the small chance it happens, they can brag that they called it.

Chuffed to see Joshua's run continue. So many little bits of trivia to come out of this title win as well. One I read earlier is that Joshua is only the third man to win a heavyweight world title while still the reigning Olympic gold medalist. Muhammad Ali and Leon Spinks were the first two. That's pretty fucking cool.

AJ does seem such a nice chap, but i want to see him knocked out to or schooled by Big TF just to slow down the hype train a while.

I never understand this thinking. You admit you like Joshua and he seems a good guy, yet you want to see him derailed just because he's being hyped up? The whole sport of boxing is built on hype. Boxing is hype. I've seen a fair bit of 'I hope the Joshua hype train gets stopped' over Joshua's last few fights and, to be fair, it's nearly always coming from 'hardcore' boxing fans. The casual fans who don't follow it as closely and just dip in and out seem to pretty much unanimously love him. I don't get this desire to want to see a fighter fail, especially one you like, just because everyone else has jumped on the bandwagon? I've always found that weird.

It's not even a patriotic thing for me, I've never been overly patriotic about Boxing or MMA. But you would think, look at all the time the UK has waited for a quality heavyweight to come along. Since Lennox Lewis retired, really, so we're going back to fucking 2003! Now two come along in Joshua and Fury. The British heavyweights are doing better than they have in well over a decade. And it's like we all want them to fail. I get why Fury has his haters because he's a proper Marmite personality but the people wanting to see Joshua fail just seems odd to me.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Rick, BJS was an Olympian as well, so folk could know him from Beijing 2008. He just didn't win a medal. And he's a massive prick.

Yeah, you've got to win! BJS gets more media time for being a Gypsy than a Boxer.

I never understand this thinking. You admit you like Joshua and he seems a good guy, yet you want to see him derailed just because he's being hyped up?

By an absolute cunt of a man no less? Idiocy.

Edited by tiger_rick

This was one of those fights where I genuinely didn't know what the fuck would happen because I knew so little about Martin. All I'd seen was his last fight (which didn't tell us that much and he won via his opponent getting injured) and a few clips here and there. Yet everyone I spoke to seemed so sure one way or the other. I had people saying Joshua was going to just steamroll him then I had other people saying they fancied Martin and that he'd definitely give AJ some bother. I don't really know what either prediction was based on. Especially the pro Martin ones because nearly everyone I heard or read predicting a Martin upset was also saying 'well, we don't know much about Charles Martin but...' So what are you basing your prediction on? Everyone just wants to be the expert, don't they? Predicting a Martin win so that, on the small chance it happens, they can brag that they called it.

Chuffed to see Joshua's run continue. So many little bits of trivia to come out of this title win as well. One I read earlier is that Joshua is only the third man to win a heavyweight world title while still the reigning Olympic gold medalist. Muhammad Ali and Leon Spinks were the first two. That's pretty fucking cool.

I never understand this thinking. You admit you like Joshua and he seems a good guy, yet you want to see him derailed just because he's being hyped up? The whole sport of boxing is built on hype. Boxing is hype. I've seen a fair bit of 'I hope the Joshua hype train gets stopped' over Joshua's last few fights and, to be fair, it's nearly always coming from 'hardcore' boxing fans. The casual fans who don't follow it as closely and just dip in and out seem to pretty much unanimously love him. I don't get this desire to want to see a fighter fail, especially one you like, just because everyone else has jumped on the bandwagon? I've always found that weird.

It's not even a patriotic thing for me, I've never been overly patriotic about Boxing or MMA. But you would think, look at all the time the UK has waited for a quality heavyweight to come along. Since Lennox Lewis retired, really, so we're going back to fucking 2003! Now two come along in Joshua and Fury. The British heavyweights are doing better than they have in well over a decade. And it's like we all want them to fail. I get why Fury has his haters because he's a proper Marmite personality but the people wanting to see Joshua fail just seems odd to me.

Yeh i know it's stupid logic. I don't know why i think it. I guess it's more the people i work with who do not watch much boxing but say he's better than Tyson, Lewis etc......Joshua is Mr Perfect isn't he. Humble, great trainer, savage puncher and is really looking the real deal. While Fury is a bit of an idiot, but i'd still like him to beat Joshua for some reason. It pickles my head!

• Paid Members

So what are you basing your prediction on? Everyone just wants to be the expert, don't they? Predicting a Martin win so that, on the small chance it happens, they can brag that they called it.

yep, there's been some of that.

It was a real mystery type fight for me going in. Martin was abit of an enigma, he held a World Title but he was basically a glorified club fighter, he won the belt in a fight where he was really in there to lose. I think the press, and the question marks surrounding him made the fight more intriguing that it probably had any right to be. AJ re-addressed the balance for me a little last night though, after the Whyte fight i had more question marks about what he could achieve, but a cool, calculated AJ is a dangerous fighter. However! I do find myself guilty of having a part of me wanting to see him lose, i just can't help it.

Pacquiao looked great last night though, didn't look the shot fighter some thought he may be. Bradley simply had nothing for him.