Condiments, Sauces, and Storage

Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Not on Butch's toast.

Fair point. 

I think a fair name for this thread would have been Condimentalists. We certainly have some. I'm with @BomberPat though. Food is planned with sauce and condiment in mind, though not always HP in my case. 

5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It's also worth saying, as the chef in my house, I'm often cooking curries or pasta dishes or stews or whatever. I'm not afraid of the damp.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if the only real seasoning you are using is salt and pepper, then that is not a curry.

12 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if the only real seasoning you are using is salt and pepper, then that is not a curry.

Much like @Lion_of_the_Midlands, you are not listening.

It's extra or side sauce I can't abide. Sauces that are intrinsic to the dish are a-OK.

I'm not just putting salt on chicken and rice and calling it a curry.

The coordinated attacks on my person in this thread make me think you're all under the employ of Big Sauce.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Much like @Lion_of_the_Midlands, you are not listening.

It's extra or side sauce I can't abide. Sauces that are intrinsic to the dish are a-OK.

I'm not just putting salt on chicken and rice and calling it a curry.

The coordinated attacks on my person in this thread make me think you're all under the employ of Big Sauce.

I'm listening Dehydrated Dazzler what you are saying is this 

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

5 hours ago, FLips said:

What about superfluous dryness? Does it go the other way?

If you have a curry for example, do you bypass the naan and poppadums because the rice is dry enough already?

Do you get scraps on a chippy?

Well, this is an interesting area of discussion.

I don't think you can really have superfluous dryness. Maybe the inexplicable slice of bread in the middle of a club sandwich? But dry is usually the state of something with all the trimmings removed, so not hugely superfluous.

I don't really like naan bread particularly. They're usually shit. It's why people stuff them with meat or cover them in cheese or garlic; they're trying to solve the problem of a shit product.

Poppadoms are fine I guess. They're just big crisps, so I'll have them before a meal if they're kicking about but I'm not personally buying them. If someone hasn't caught wind of my vibe and brings those stupid pots of sauce, I'll have a go on the lime pickle but all the other really wet ones can go away. If for whatever reason we have poppadoms in the house I'll just eat them dry before the curry. But I'd rather go without, I guess.

And before anyone comes up with any more hilarious dry puns, I had a cod stew this evening and it was well wet. I didn't mind at all. But i didnt spray it in HP or sriracha or whatever it is you shits are doing.

*edit* I don't think I really know what scraps are. Is that the little crispy fuckers on top of your original portion? I'm not sure I've ever been to a chippy that does that, but I do prefer those kinds of chip. The ones with no crap potato in the middle. Just crispiness, a bit of salt and vinegar and you're away.

I can't remember the last time I went to a chippy though. They're all shit in London.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz