Condiments, Sauces, and Storage

Lorne Malvo

11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm struggling to think of any sauces that are in refrigerated parts of a supermarket. 

Pretty much all of them say to refrigerate after opening. Which will extend their tasting half decent life.

The only condiment I wouldn't fridge is Marmite. Which probably grows in evil strength the longer you leave it open. 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob
Fridge 4 lyfe

Sauces, pickles, jalapeno peppers and the like all go in the fridge but if I'm doing burgers or nachos or pulled pork or something I do let the sauces get up to room temperature, the barbecue equivalent of letting a red wine breathe I'm assuming.

New jars of jam- cupboard. Opened jars of jam- fridge.

Nutella- cupboard, despite the fact it goes a bit of a weird texture but I don't eat it so it's not my concern.

Eggs- neither, they go in the ceramic chicken on the kitchen side.

il_1588xN.6209802577_pk4p.jpg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Yes I know that, I'm just struggling to think of any that start in the refrigerated parts of the shop.

At the risk of saying the most middle class in this entire thread, I bought some kimchee ketchup yesterday that was in the refrigerated section near the hummus. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

Sauces, pickles, jalapeno peppers and the like all go in the fridge but if I'm doing burgers or nachos or pulled pork or something I do let the sauces get up to room temperature, the barbecue equivalent of letting a red wine breathe I'm assuming.

New jars of jam- cupboard. Opened jars of jam- fridge.

Nutella- cupboard, despite the fact it goes a bit of a weird texture but I don't eat it so it's not my concern.

Eggs- neither, they go in the ceramic chicken on the kitchen side.

il_1588xN.6209802577_pk4p.jpg

Rare to see a post on here that can't possibly be argued with but here it is. The man is spot on.

I'm off to ebay to find a ceramic chicken.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I am sorry but the Supermarket location thing doesn't work. They have storage instructions. Thats not guidence, thats the rule. If its not open, cupboard. Once opened, fridge. And all you sissy's crying "I don't like cold sauce", get it out of the fridge 10 minutes before you need to. Simple.

Marmite, cupboard always cupboard. 

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

Not always. That "Once opened, consume within 3 days" bit of bullshit they add on rarely applies. 

That's not storage instructions, but I see your point.

However, things will still go off. I used a half jar of Jalfrazi, never had the need to use the rest, when I did a couple of weeks late, mould. Sauces (condiment types) do you last longer then their used by suggestion I find. But jars of sauces (for currys, pasta etc) don't.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah, I am sorry but the Supermarket location thing doesn't work. They have storage instructions. Thats not guidence, thats the rule. If its not open, cupboard. Once opened, fridge. And all you sissy's crying "I don't like cold sauce", get it out of the fridge 10 minutes before you need to. Simple.

Marmite, cupboard always cupboard. 

I don't know where you get off calling other people sissies when you're too shook to break the rules printed on the side of the jar. What's wrong with a quick sniff and sight test?