AEW All Out 2024 - September 7th

Supremo

spacer.png

Kent Brockman "and just look how happy he is."

I really enjoyed the main event. It was so stylistically different from the Texas Death Match. The TDM was big spots, at a frenetic pace that popped the crowd until one man dropped. This felt different. All the spots bar chairshots to the back, or the table bump felt different and personal. The staple gun, the cinderblock, the needle, a sharpened piece of Swerve's home. Brilliant. It was less flashy, more densely violent with some great story beats and an incredibly visual finish. That gimmicked chair lid sounded like a gun going off. Very glad they didn't bother doing something with fire, it would have as insane as this sounds, would have been a bit too cute for this feud. It's different to that.

What a fascinating character Hangman Page and his descent into madness has been. It's the AEW slow burn moral ambiguity, multi layered stuff that Cody should have absolutely done years ago when everyone was begging him to. But instead we got a more wholesome character to pull it off in Hangman. For all the THIS IS CINEMA bollocks, and this wasn't either, Page is a terrific actor for a wrestler and I love how he portrays that in important matches. 

He was sublime at the end of this. Standing over Swerve for just a little too long that you got that flicker of reality show on him. He gone just murdered a dude. Going up the aisle you could see it too, not as if he's sorry for Swerve, but for a second surveying what he did and would he have done that in the past. Then just fucking screaming like an absolute nutter at the end. It's great, he had to take Swerve's head off to win an Unsanctioned Match that doesn't even the score in the records, he's been suspended on the way, attacked innocent bystanders, former friends, sold his morals and burnt a man's childhood home down on the singular theory that he was in the right. And for his logic, he WAS in the right, Swerve never apologised properly for being a prick, because he IS an evil sociopath who'll do what he can to get where he needs, he's just a bit cool and it appeals. Swerve also accepts who he is and that it's all part of the game in his weird moral code. The viewers getting to choose who is in the right and wrong has been a great layer to this. It's evident in so much debate about this feud being who is right and 'wrong' and never has the feud made it 100% who was the true villain and hero. Hangman has lost everything he was beloved and respected for in exchange for an ultimate phyrric victory and his supposed pound of flesh. Didn't get his pin, didn't get him to verbally beg and submit. Just walloped him as hard as he could muster, because he doesn't know what he's capable in the moment of doing anymore. Sen-fucking-sational.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah that flicker of humanity at the end was a great touch. What a fucking disgusting match though. Now let him go off and do some cowboy shit with Jeff.

Shame Dustin is with Sammy as him, Jeff and Hangman as some kind of Outlaw Posse would be a fun trios. Actually scrap that, just drag Bryan Keith away from Jericho.

Wonder where the trios titles sit now. Obviously Pac and Claudio have turned and Wheeler wasn't part of their future. Be interesting to see if they drop the titles now or just have Wheeler along and just use him as fodder in matches and just tag in as and when they feel like. 

3 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Breeze block bumps are just not for me. They broke the back of Thumbtack Jack (ooh, that rhymes) and are just not necessary in my opinion. I genuinely worry that someone is going to cripple themselves soon if these excessive, and needless, bumps keep happening.

Sorry, Dad rant over. 

Well, while you’re at it, I also feel cynical that it’s possible to do a safe chairshot to the head, even with a gimmicked chair. There’s still contact made to the head. Even if it is, the risk of it going wrong (eg. as it did with Cody/Spears) makes me wonder if it’s worthwhile. They do it so often that there’s no real shock value to it anymore. 

I've only seen the main event so far but it sure did deliver what I was expecting, it managed to have that sheer brutality without going full CZW deathmatch mode and somehow looked far more dangerous for it, the nasty spots mattered. As much as I've been Team Hangman I loved that Swerve felt like he needed to pull out the Megumi Kudo special as it's still possibly the deadliest looking move not named a Burning Hammer. RIP to both guys spines.

• Paid Members

If Jon Moxley attempts to murder you, you get murdered.  That was merely serious assault, and actually a clever way to hurt Bryan in a way that shocked fans without risking his injuries.  

Ripping off Dashing Cody Rhodes though. Smh. 

Hangman v Osprey is my new deepest desire. Hoping hanger can move to bigger and better things now, but fascinated to see what happens with the character now. 

6 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

Well, while you’re at it, I also feel cynical that it’s possible to do a safe chairshot to the head, even with a gimmicked chair. There’s still contact made to the head. Even if it is, the risk of it going wrong (eg. as it did with Cody/Spears) makes me wonder if it’s worthwhile. They do it so often that there’s no real shock value to it anymore. 

But any weapon shot to the head is dangerous. Cookie sheets, bin lids and the bin themselves are the same gimmicked stunt (and they probably do have a stunt/magic man fiddling the weapon to make it safe). The Spears chairshot fucked up because I believe didn't Spears simply grab the wrong chair? Being in the cage there was no chance of cocking up with chair was which. 

Forgot to add that sound of sheer terror from the crowd as Page walked back down the ramp a bit before stopping.

Willow/ Statlander deserve a free dinner for their match too. Proper two people trying to kick each others arse and let out their frustrations. Statlander was really good, put some of her professional stuntwoman stuff to show here, great finish to. Get them in a Dog Collar Match I say. The fact they followed Ospreay/PAC and hit a home run was great.

Mercedes Mone should not wrestle in or get better wigs, absolutely killed the match at the end. State of that finisher, might as well do the fucking Overdrive.

1 minute ago, Duke said:

If Jon Moxley attempts to murder you, you get murdered.  That was merely serious assault, and actually a clever way to hurt Bryan in a way that shocked fans without risking his injuries.  

Ripping off Dashing Cody Rhodes though. Smh. 

Hangman v Osprey is my new deepest desire. Hoping hanger can move to bigger and better things now, but fascinated to see what happens with the character now. 

Could have hurt Bryan in kayfabe without resorting to cheap Z grade Horror movie bollocks.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chili said:

It was 35 years to the day that Terry Funk himself did it to Ric Flair coincidentally.

Yep and you know Tony is a big sucker for repeating famous moments around their history. Also just to co-sign Cody said the non gimmick chair was used by mistake. If we’re still doing big stunt spots I’d rather it was done with some safety thought of then what we used to get.

1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

They do it so often that there’s no real shock value to it anymore. 

I think this is the thing. I'm owning that I have turned into one of those grumpy old farts who goes 'kids these days!' but it's reached a point with me where nothing is shocking because it's all been done to death and I find myself just rolling my eyes at it instead.

• Paid Members

The block spot needs to go away. A few inches from utter disaster. I know most moves are a few inches from a broken neck most of the time but that seems to be a really risky more so when its a spot and not even a finish.

CZW needle spots are a no no to. The gimmicked chair was enough on its own IMO.

The best spot of the match was swerve holding hangman while the cage was lowering, Simple yet super affective 

Edited by quote the raven