WOS Wrestling: The Return (sans ITV, it seems)

uklaw

• Paid Members

It's like Black Saturday round here in Norwich, I'll tell you. 

We had all this last time, too. Threats of pickets etc. In the end there was a "WAW showcase (dark) match" of Alex Young vs Brad Slayer on one of the WOS tapings I went to, after which the ring announcer told everyone all about WAW etc, and it all blew over. Brad ended up getting a single appearance on the TV show too, making up the numbers either in a 4-way or the first round of the tag tournament, I forget which. 

It was a bit more pointed then as WAW were using Epic Studios as their venue then, and I believe they'd put some investment into some of the set-up that got used (the stage/screen/barricades etc) so could see some grievance. 

2 hours ago, mim731 said:

The shouldn't. It'll be a complete shitshow. 

What makes you say that exactly?

If it's like last time - whatever you thought of the TV show, as a live event it was decent, good matches, good production, good crowd, really well presented.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, The Dart said:

Friends who attended the tapings were largely unimpressed, and the TV show, which is all I can base it on myself, wasn't great.

Also, I have no faith that shitehawk Alex Shane will not be involved in some capacity, so I think avoiding it may well be wise. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Dart said:

If it's like last time - whatever you thought of the TV show, as a live event it was decent, good matches, good production, good crowd, really well presented.

The first thing they did was put a ladder match on TV and ITV wouldn't show any spots with the ladder involved. Where does that fit into really well presented? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Dart said:

I think it will probably be a fine show, you'd think so anyway as the talent involved last time, even if you remove Smith or Ospreay, was pretty solid. I don't imagine the set up will be as good for a youtube show though. The TV show also would have an excited crowd because it was the return of British wrestling to teh council tele. Would this garner the same excitement from the crowd? I'm sure the people going will be into it, I don't imagine you'd go to this unless you loved the show. 

Kind of feel a Youtube show should have followed it in 2019, 6 years later the interest is gone. I watched the whole tv show, which would have been a lot easier to watch without the constant camera switches, and I'd have carried on watching as a youtube show. Had I not had a new born at the time of the tour I probably would have gone. 

@Lion_of_the_Midlands In all fairness he says the live show was well produced, not the TV show. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

In all fairness he says the live show was well produced, not the TV show. 

In all fairness PlayMistyForMe he says it was really well presented. Presenting something that can't be shown on TV does not fall into that category. I thought there were elements of the TV show that worked and some that didn't. That is pretty much how I feel about Raw and Dynamite each week so from a TV standpoint it wasn't far off but doing matches that the TV company won't show on TV at a TV taping is stupid. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The first thing they did was put a ladder match on TV and ITV wouldn't show any spots with the ladder involved. Where does that fit into really well presented? 

I'm not considering the TV at all.   I'm talking about it as a live event only.  The comment was you shouldn't attend at all, cause it will be a shit show.  Nothing about watching it at home.  Just about atttending.  Attending it last time, it was absolutely the opposite of a shit show, it was one of the slickest British Wrestling shows I've ever been to.  So, I wondered what the basis was for predicting it would be shit this time.

If there was a ladder match at the TV taping last time, the fans in attendance most likely enjoyed it, and that's who I am talking about.

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members

So you seem to be arguing Dartangan that it's better that a ladder match entertains the 300ish fans at a TV taping rather than the potentially hundreds of thousands, if not millions of fans at home who can't see any of the important parts of that match because the TV company won't show what was recorded at a TV taping, and with that kind of logic it's easy to see why British wrestling is mostly on its arse. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

In all fairness PlayMistyForMe he says it was really well presented. Presenting something that can't be shown on TV does not fall into that category. I thought there were elements of the TV show that worked and some that didn't. That is pretty much how I feel about Raw and Dynamite each week so from a TV standpoint it wasn't far off but doing matches that the TV company won't show on TV at a TV taping is stupid. 

But he was clearly talking about it as a live event. 

I agree the ladder match was stupid, any spot the wrestlers did was a waste of their effort. They obviously thought it would get the crowd going, which it probably did, but probably left viewers confused. An out and out spotfest probably would have done the exact same thing, but viewers not confused/disappointed. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

I only remember two things about the WOS show. 

1: The Battle Royal they had where Davey Boy Smith Jr rocked up in the middle of it with his own entrance music, presumably because he was a big star and they wanted to showcase him, then he didn't even win it! Maybe the didn't want to make it predicable, but I laughed my arse off.

2: That big fat lad. 

• Paid Members
Just now, wordsfromlee said:

Do the people putting on this show not own the rights to the name World of Sport? So what is the connection to it apart from have the same acronym - is it put on by the same people?

If the copyright information on the website is anything to go by, they’ve licensed the “WOS” name and brand from ITV.

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So you seem to be arguing Dartangan that it's better that a ladder match entertains the 300ish fans at a TV taping rather than the potentially hundreds of thousands, if not millions of fans at home who can't see any of the important parts of that match because the TV company won't show what was recorded at a TV taping, and with that kind of logic it's easy to see why British wrestling is mostly on its arse. 

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.  I don't see how you'd think from what I said or what I was replying to.