• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

So has anyone got one of these and are they any good? Because I've discovered games again and I have about 200 in my wishlist and I keep buying more but some of them won't run on my Chromebook.

If you get even slightly technical with me, I won't know what you're talking about but I will give you an upvote without replying for at least trying to help.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Yep, love it. Find it really easy to use (assuming you've been using Steam for most games - there are other ways, but the interface is really nice).

I've never been a big gamer, but I've been using the Steam Deck more than I've used anything like that before. Really nice to play.

Not seriously tested it with any recent AAA games, but it played Chainsaw Massacre fine, Spider-Man etc. Not had any issues.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Yep, love it. Find it really easy to use (assuming you've been using Steam for most games - there are other ways, but the interface is really nice).

I've never been a big gamer, but I've been using the Steam Deck more than I've used anything like that before. Really nice to play.

Not seriously tested it with any recent AAA games, but it played Chainsaw Massacre fine, Spider-Man etc. Not had any issues.

Cheers! Yeah, I know there are other sites out there but I stuck with Steam for ease of use and the size of catalogue.

Well this is encouraging, I'll keep saving then!

Best thing I've bought in forever.

Got a shit ton of retro stuff on there and can put it into the Steam catalogue etc. Loads of different options for how you want to do it.

Also use it for XBox Game Pass which performs surprisingly great on cloud.

And also to remote play my PS5 which is also really good performance wise.

And that's without dipping too heavily into my Steam catalogue anyway, which has a ton of stuff in it and their sales are pretty decent, and being able to buy things from CD Keys and Humble etc is great.

It's a little bit of everything for me.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Best thing I've bought in forever.

Got a shit ton of retro stuff on there and can put it into the Steam catalogue etc. Loads of different options for how you want to do it.

I took one look at Retro Arch and thought "Ooh this looks great and I'll never figure out how to use it" so I'll be back when I eventually buy this thing.

54 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I took one look at Retro Arch and thought "Ooh this looks great and I'll never figure out how to use it" so I'll be back when I eventually buy this thing.

I'm incredibly shit/lazy at that sort of thing and there's some great written guides or YouTube things you can follow. Well worth investing the time to set everything up to start with. It's all pretty straight forward.

• Paid Members

If that’s your current itch then the Steam Deck will absolutely scratch it very satisfyingly.

If you’re not in an absolute massive hurry, I’d recommend setting up an alert on Hot UK Deals as I’ve noticed some amazing details for certified refurbished units of late. That often means customer returns that are checked, re-boxed and sold again and they come with a warranty of course.

I’d skip the base model, as whilst SD cards are cheap enough, it’s nice having enough built in storage for a few games.

The Retroarch stuff is definitely worth plunging a frustrating afternoon into just to set yourself up with your entire 90s and 00s. Getting all the old stuff is the most time consuming part but you don't need the machine to start that if you go the SD card route. 

It's basically a dream machine for lapsed gamers. All the stuff you loved in one place, and it can still have a noble go at playing most things out right now should you feel inclined. More hardcore than a Switch but without that massive investment feeling booting up a PS5 or Xbox Series One X Gon' Give It To Ya can sometimes have. 

It feels substantial too, which was a big plus for me. Definitely a handheld, but your hands are full. It feels like a professional, comfortable game controller with a screen in the middle of it. 

I'd recommend one. 

I'd imagine running stuff like the Amiga or Speccy can be an arseache on Retroarch, I always use seperate keyboard and mouse friendly emulators for those and even then it can be a pain. It's great for console emulation though, although standalone Duckstation is still king for PS1 if you can get that on Steam Deck.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Got the OLED model recently, I love the thing, the range of games available is overwhelming and the "fuck off, no way!" prices and bundles* are seeing me rack up a ridiculous library very quickly.

As someone who's always been a console player, it's not been without complications though. Early on any game that wasn't running right out of the gate gave me headaches having to go into the settings. I've had sex multiple times, I can't be expected to know what MSAA, TAA, FXAA etc are, let alone whether it's at 2x 8x or 16x. I've learned to just go on Youtube and copy whatever Santiago Santiago or Freddy's Gaming Benchmarks are doing, it never fails me now!

* Speaking of bundles, I've got a good few spare/unwanted keys going, if anyone likes the look of any of these just PM me and they're yours. Will cross out any that get claimed:

Viscerafest

Colt Canyon

Dishonored

Bing In Wonderland

Alfred Hitchcock Vertigo

DOOM 2!!!

Medieval Machines Builder

Desert Child

Tempest: Complete Edition

Cook Serve Delicious

DEATHRUN TV

Encased: A Sci‐Fi Post‐Apocalyptic RPG

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Got the OLED model recently, I love the thing, the range of games available is overhwelming and the "fuck off, no way!" prices and bundles* are seeing me rack up a ridiculous library very quickly.

Yes, I've bought over 30 games in the last month and I'm not sure I've paid more than a fiver for any of them. I am eyeing up a Crash Bandicoot / Spyro bundle for £35 but having never played any of them, I'm waiting until a football bet comes in before I go for it. I'll be waiting a while, then.

• Paid Members

Took some 4K blu rays and an old phone to CEX today and got just over £200. As I left I noticed a Steamdeck, I didn’t get it but I’m weak. I don’t NEED it.. do I? No. No I don’t. 

10 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Took some 4K blu rays and an old phone to CEX today and got just over £200. As I left I noticed a Steamdeck, I didn’t get it but I’m weak. I don’t NEED it.. do I? No. No I don’t. 

Yes. You do.