• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

It’s basically the same act but aged up for dads. He’s more likely to veer off and talk about some historical tour he’s just been on than give it the old mad lad bantz. It’s definitely aged better than Chris Moyles act.

I listen to him a little now, as my partner's current car doesn't have a digital radio, so we've swapped 6Music for Radio X. It feels like a good balance between Vaughan's actual personality and the media persona - there's a lot of "radio host banters with the crew" nonsense and daft phone-ins, and it can feel very "blokey", but as you say far more in a cocky Dad sense than a '90s Lad Mag schtick, and he'll occasionally make a really considered argument about something that matters to him.

He spoke for ages a few months back about how he thinks the way to increase investment in women's football is that the end of league results should be considered as an aggregate of both the men's and women's teams, and I'm forgetting most of his point, but it was clearly something he had put a lot of thought into and felt mattered. 

I remember hearing somebody in the TV business, can't remember who, saying Johnny Vaughan was one of the smartest people they'd ever met. A friend of mine pitched a podcast to the BBC about a specific WW2 operation, and they said they'd only do it with a celebrity attached, and they pitched Johnny Vaughan because apparently that's his real area of expertise.

13 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Remember RI:SE? Christ. Only saving graces were Liz Bonnin and Kirsty Gallagher. RI:SE indeed.

My brother always uses Mark Durden-Smith as his go-to example whenever he needs to reference a completely forgettable TV personality. I liked Colin Murray and Edith Bowman getting some telly time at least. 

I worked as a runner on a show Kirsty Gallagher presented, and she was a fucking nightmare.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

My brother always uses Mark Durden-Smith as his go-to example whenever he needs to reference a completely forgettable TV personality. I liked Colin Murray and Edith Bowman getting some telly time at least. 

Can I pitch Rick Adams, who presented The Big Breakfast for about a year in the 90s and never, ever gets mentioned when people reminisce about it? 

Another stray memory, I also remember Chris Moyles guest hosting for a week at some point and he was absolutely dreadful, and not in the way he was on his radio show. Deer in the headlights, uncomfortable and very very awkward. He had a soundboard with him for the first few days at least and it went down like a dog fart. 

Rick Adams was crap but Mark Durden-Smith was absolutely bland, like when someone tries to lab create an attractive lead star, he was that, I remember trying to give RI:SE a go, it was so woeful.

Posted (edited)

My only memory of Mark Durden Smith is when RI:SE had some wrestlers on and they were messing about doing some moves on him on some mats. Then Shark Boy of all people jumped of the desk and did an elbow drop that absolutely wrecked him. He landed right on his neck, Durden Smith could barely breathe trying to read the autocue to end the bit 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

34 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

My only memory of Mark Durden Smith is when RI:SE had some wrestlers on and they were messing about doing some moves on him on some mats. Then Shark Boy of all people jumped of the desk and did an elbow drop that absolutely wrecked him. He landed right on his neck, Durden Smith could barely breathe trying to read the autocue to end the bit 

Was it Shark Boy, because I swear my memory says it was actually Perry Saturn and I might be going mad.

• Paid Members
On 5/30/2024 at 12:16 PM, Chili said:

Rick Adams was crap but Mark Durden-Smith was absolutely bland, like when someone tries to lab create an attractive lead star, he was that, I remember trying to give RI:SE a go, it was so woeful.

Rick Adams was fine on Nickelodeon but so tragically out of his depth on The Big Breakfast, especially alongside failed Gladiator Sharron Davies, I remember Mark Little was pretty fun from what I saw of him. Johnny and Denise were good, Kelly Brook was enthusiastic, but wooden. Chris Evans, Gaby Roslin, Mark Lamarr, Paula Yates and Peter Smith was the original and best lineup. Cheggers was decent. Richard Bacon looked like he was having a lot of fun, as did Liza Tarbuck. They showed episodes of Danger Mouse at one point. 

They used to show episodes of The Banana Splits on the early show’s didn’t they? That was the shittest thing imaginable to an 8 year old Danger. I definitely remember turning it over to watch the DJ Kat Show when that came on.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Didn't they mix in a fair few TV shows including ukff fav Renford Rejects when it became The Bigger Breakfast during school holidays?

Yes, and CatDog, Johnny Bravo, Hang Time, City Guys and loads of other stuff of varying quality.

• Paid Members

Useless fact: Mark Durden Smith’s mum is perennial holidaymaker Judith Chalmers. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

They used to show episodes of The Banana Splits on the early show’s didn’t they? That was the shittest thing imaginable to an 8 year old Danger. I definitely remember turning it over to watch the DJ Kat Show when that came on.

Yeah, I couldn't resist the Power Rangers and VR Troopers on DJ Kat when we got Sky. And Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad at the weekend.