What's your Ice Cream Van?

FLips

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Do they still sell drugs?

Mine definitely does. Chimes after 8 when it's dark and raining?

image.png.6f67a02d09e5d40f8cd1956512d4eaae.png

DRUG DELIVERY!

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Remember when someone on here said their local dealers used fireworks to let everyone know when their drug delivery had been? Great days.

As long as he didn't make reference to "Bommy Night."

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Remember when someone on here said their local dealers used fireworks to let everyone know when their drug delivery had been? Great days.

Ours still use the classic shoes round the telephone wires. 
I suppose drugs from the ice cream van is only the natural evolution of it as even when we were kids they did bread, milk and fags.

My wife told me they used to have a Jolly Van up in Sunderland when she was a kid, which was a plain white transit van full of sweets where they’d open the back doors and let all the kids in. 

13 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Cider lolly. Cherry brandy made us feel well grown up when younger as well.

These with a dollop of ice cream balanced on the face of them, if you had a lad that would actually do that for you. Proper awkward to eat but made you look like a millionaire.

• Paid Members

Self-publicising wanker time, but...

I made a silly 60-second short horror comedy about an ice-cream man a few years back, which those in this thread might enjoy.

We don’t have one here in ponce central (because of woke) but at the monthly makers market there is one which is vegan (because of woke) and is about a fiver per scoop and always has a massive queue. Nah mate. 

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

These with a dollop of ice cream balanced on the face of them, if you had a lad that would actually do that for you. Proper awkward to eat but made you look like a millionaire.

Carl does a slushy with ice cream, bits and juice on top. I really feel sorry for people who don’t have a Carl.

We also have the fancy pants regional Mr T who comes to order take away style and does take away tubs full of ice cream and and sweets/oreos/kinder etc for just shy of a tenner. It’s not worth it but it is pretty decent. 

1 hour ago, FLips said:

My wife told me they used to have a Jolly Van up in Sunderland when she was a kid, which was a plain white transit van full of sweets where they’d open the back doors and let all the kids in. 

This sounds so noncey it's unreal.

• Paid Members

I bet there have been tons of "vans" over the years gone by. We used to have a pop van/man who delivered Masons lemonade, cola, limeade, cherryade, raspberryade, orangeade, ginger ale, cream soda, dandelion & burdock and probably others I've forgotten. But we only ever ordered at Christmas because we were poor before a bereavement dividend.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I bet there have been tons of "vans" over the years gone by. We used to have a pop van/man who delivered Masons lemonade, cola, limeade, cherryade, raspberryade, orangeade, ginger ale, cream soda, dandelion & burdock and probably others I've forgotten. But we only ever ordered at Christmas because we were poor before a bereavement dividend.

We used to have a video man who would rent out VHS tapes, games and DVDs. I remember hiring a few bits off him when I was a kid. I think my Mam would get films and we would get a Mega Drive game.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Cider lollies were amazing, always my go-to as a kid. I don't know if they were a particularly Northern thing, but people in Jersey thought I was making them up when I mentioned them.

I grew up in a tiny village, so it was a genuine rare occurrence when the ice cream van came to us, so it was usually something I got when I was out with my Dad or grandparents somewhere - at the races, or a carboot sale - and I'd usually go for a lolly over ice cream, but if it was the races, it would usually be the Burgess Ice Cream van, and that was always worth getting proper ice cream from. If I remember correctly, the bloke who owned Burgess had two posh cars, one with the numberplate "BUY 99S" and one with "TRY 99S". 

When I was in Jersey, I lived near the beach for a while (everywhere's quite near the beach there, tbf) and there was an ice cream bloke who had the same spot for decades just up the road from our place. You knew summer had arrived when he parked up. I had a lot more actual ice cream then, as Jersey Dairy ice cream is amazing, back when I could still eat the stuff.

10 minutes ago, air_raid said:

In said tiny village I grew up in, there was a pretty much everything van or delivery service, I think my childhood was getting towards the end of an era for a lot of them, but there was a bakery van, butcher's van, the pop van, and I think maybe we had a video man come round as well, though my Dad worked in a video shop, so we never went to him.

In Jersey there was the "can man", who was just a bloke you could text to come round and sell you a bunch of cans after the pubs and shops had closed. One of those things that was very obviously illegal, and everyone just seemed to know about and use without ever questioning who he was or how they had come to find out about him in the first place. We had a late night "secret" bakery too.

Edited by BomberPat

12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

If I remember correctly, the bloke who owned Burgess had two posh cars, one with the numberplate "BUY 99S" and one with "TRY 99S". 

I think personalised number plates are for wankers, but this is bad ass.

• Paid Members

I am reminded of an old Jasper Carrott sketch where a mate of his converts a hearse so he can sell ice creams at funerals, and it bears the slogan "Stop me and bury one."