Clash at the Castle 2024 comes to Glasgow

Daaaaaad!

Just now, Supremo said:

Twitter clips of fans chanting, “bullshit!” as they’re leaving the arena. Does this really get heat on the characters and create investment in the fictional story?

Yes, it does. 

I love your posts to death, but see the wood for the trees here. 

People up in arms on Twitter is pretty much the mechanism of how heat - whatever's left of it - functions nowadays. The people you're spotlighting here are suckered in. They're your monetised fanbase. 

Shouting "Bullshit!" as you leave the arena means you're coming back to the arena. 

It worked in 1984 and it works in 2024. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I’m not saying for certain one way or the other. I guess time will tell. It just felt like disappointment more than heat in the moment. Hardly nuclear HBK at One Night Only heat, was it? Plus, fucking Gunther vs. Priest at Summerslam? Have they ever had a World Title match on the Pre-show before?

Biggest positive coming out of this show is how Otis and Gable are delivering peak Sports Entertainment. I swear they run this type of angle every other year. It always, always works. Distilled WWE greatness. The reactions Otis gets every time he squares up to him? That’s what I imagine heroin feels like.

Biggest negative was poor Jade Cargill, yet again having an absolute shocker for the second straight pay per view, falling to bits when things start going wrong. It’s crazy that this never happened in AEW. Funny that it’s started happening after she supposedly got, “taught how to wrestle” at the Performance Center, though. What curriculum do they have down there? People are demonstrably worse for going through the system!

Cody also remains the fucking man. So happy nobody hurt Momma Rhodes in order to make him say, “I Quit.” My heart was in my throat imagining that! Best AJ Styles match in about five years plus, almost entirely due to Cody’s selling and getting a Stone Cold Steve Austin pop every time he was asked if he wanted to quit and shouted, “NO!” I think this lad’s got something, you know. Cody, Cody Rhoooooooooodes!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

Yes, it does. 

I love your posts to death, but see the wood for the trees here. 

People up in arms on Twitter is pretty much the mechanism of how heat - whatever's left of it - functions nowadays. The people you're spotlighting here are suckered in. They're your monetised fanbase. 

Shouting "Bullshit!" as you leave the arena means you're coming back to the arena. 

It worked in 1984 and it works in 2024. 

I dunno. This was the most expensive WWE show in the UK ever. If they come back at those same prices I don’t think it would sell as well, maybe I’m wrong, but I think now if people leave feeling that deflated they might not come back when it costs so much.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Biggest negative was poor Jade Cargill, yet again having an absolute shocker for the second straight pay per view, falling to bits when things start going wrong. It’s crazy that this never happened in AEW. Funny that it’s started happening after she supposedly got, “taught how to wrestle” at the Performance Center, though. What curriculum do they have down there? People are demonstrably worse for going through the system!

My main question is why are they having a powerhouse wrestler doing springboard moves? Basically goes entirely against the basic core tenants and understanding of what works in wrestling. Emphasize her unique strengths and qualities! But no, instead they have everyone doing the same weird bland WWE crossfit wrestling style. So instead of doing big slams and looking like a beast she's falling off the ropes like a complete melon.

• Paid Members

The Cody match was good, as was the Sami and Gable one, but everything else was pretty meh. The writing for Drew was on the wall as soon as Fyre and Dawn won, maybe even earlier when that photo of Punk in the Celtic shop was going around.

Personally I would have been gutted to pay those prices to see what was essentially a 5 match HHH NXT card with the hometown hero losing again. Plus you had to go and possibly stay in Glasgow, urgh.

39 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

My main question is why are they having a powerhouse wrestler doing springboard moves? Basically goes entirely against the basic core tenants and understanding of what works in wrestling. Emphasize her unique strengths and qualities! But no, instead they have everyone doing the same weird bland WWE crossfit wrestling style. So instead of doing big slams and looking like a beast she's falling off the ropes like a complete melon.

I love you Gooshy, but you're on some fucking rocky terrain here. Rocky, rocky terrain.

I'm not as much of a hometown win pervert as everyone else seems to be. If the hometown hero always wins because that's a nice thing to do, wrestling would be utterly shite. Plus, DM Hunk is a heel whos whole character is based on this very interesting division between actually, probably having a point but handling it in the worst possible way.

He had to lose, its the logical next step for his character to have that ratcheted up again. He didn't even do anything wrong this time and he still got fucked over, he's going to be utterly furious. 

Had he won, and got his flowers, what next? He's just happy and it's fine? Shit.

Sure, Priest is an abysmal champion but fortunately he's got no foot so we're likely going to get a tournament anyway so fine.

I think the only other way around this would have been Punk deliberately costing Priest the match, so that McIntyre finally realises his dream... but he can't really enjoy it as everyone says Punk won the title for him. That could have been fun.

But, yeah, it was a fine decision brilliantly executed to serve the bigger picture of the story they're telling. I think that's a good thing, as opposed to just delivering house show endings all the time to send people home happy.

WWE's current strategy is clearly to go out and experience new markets with these PLE's, so we're probably looking at a few years of lots of new and interesting hometown heroes. They can't all bloody win.

Also, Papa H cracking wise about CM Punk being so angry because of all the 'doughnuts... or muffins he eats'? For goodness sake. It'll never end. Wrestling personalities all speak like a fucking Avenger, there's always a bit of snark or nod to the audience isn't there. Just shut up you old git, it'll only start people up again.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

How so?

I would say it's very much not unique to WWE to be carried away by what someone can do, rather than what someone should do.

There are countless examples across all the major companies (see, I'm being diplomatic and not mentioning any names so as to try and not summon the demons) of people doing things they 'shouldn't' by the traditional standards of wrestling, but they do because they can and all promoters get excited by it.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I would say it's very much not unique to WWE to be carried away by what someone can do, rather than what someone should do.

There are countless examples across all the major companies (see, I'm being diplomatic and not mentioning any names so as to try and not summon the demons) of people doing things they 'shouldn't' by the traditional standards of wrestling, but they do because they can and all promoters get excited by it.

I agree! I hate it in any promotion. Big powerhouse wrestler should never do high flying spots ever. There's no excuse for it. Especially so in Jade Cargill's case when she is so unique and one of a kind. When someone like her comes along they should be ragdolling, clotheslining and chokeslamming the shit of out people, not going to the top ropes.

On the Jade thing specifically, the concern for me is less that she tried it (though I agree with Gooshy that its not the sort of thing she needs to be doing), it's that she completely fell apart afterwards.

She wrestles like she's a wooden actor remembering everything verbatim from a script. Everything is stilted and awkward as she's tries to remember exactly what she should do. There's no fluidity or just rolling with it, like good wrestlers do. Plus, when something goes even slightly wrong she completely panics and falls apart.

There could have been an issue with the ropes being too slippy or slack, as a few people had problems last night, whatever. Get back up and go again. Instead she just melted.

That's not good for her long term prospects I don't think. At this rate she'll end up like Otunga or Titus, people who they think are stars but are so rubbish they just use them as ambassadors.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I imagine the Punk angle worked really well on TV but in the arena it was a proper wet fart. At least give the crowd a pop for Cult of Personality. We ended up with a bit of confusion as Punk looks like a little ref next to Drew anyway, low blow and finish. Just one big meh from the crowd which turned to boos when they realised no post show angle or something. Lovely Samantha getting booed 😢

Other than that we had a decent I Quit match, great Sami match, and that was about it! Smackdown was terrible

£600

Anyway I’m sure it worked on TV so good for them. They’ve stumbled across a really handy tool in that decibel gauge. As soon as the crowd saw that they went mental. Anytime the want a reaction just show that and they’ll get a reaction

• Paid Members

How mad was that bit where Jade kept tapping out in the sleeper hold, too? Such a weird, basic mistake to make. The poor commentators looked like idiots trying to explain what was going on.

On the plus side, this thing where Wade Barrett has threw a wobbler about Punk is super interesting. Calling for management to sack him, siding with Drew, proclaiming the injustice. Still harboring anger about Punk stealing Nexus from him, I reckon. Wonder if Wade's got one more match in him. Finally decide who really wins David Otunga. The real quiz.

But yeah. At this point, I don't know how they shoot it, maybe backstage with special effects or something, but Drew's going to have to actually stab Punk with his sword, isn't he?