It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Rhea's theme music is fucking awful as well and I think less of her that she likes that band. 

Nah. Nothing could do that for me. Unless she came out with the Chili Peppers obviously. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The right result but they have to start building CREDIBLE opponents for Rhea now after this.

I have a suspicion the draft will sort this out and unless they waste time with Cargill/Belair going after that tag belts first, one of them will be knocking on Ripleys door.

A bigger problem for me will be getting a new baddie for Bayley. When’s Charlotte back…?

I really enjoyed the main event, it felt like a different level. Sami/Gunther was also great stuff. Enjoyed the show overall but the other matches were pretty disappointing.

Forget your dislike for live bands or The Final Boss flares, there was absolutely nothing worse than Johnny Cosplay and his mate coming out looking like DX shrank in the wash. Shit glow stick era DX at that; state of it.

1 minute ago, Harvey Dent said:

I really enjoyed the main event, it felt like a different level. Sami/Gunther was also great stuff. Enjoyed the show overall but the other matches were pretty disappointing.

Forget your dislike for live bands or The Final Boss flares, there was absolutely nothing worse than Johnny Cosplay and his mate coming out looking like DX shrank in the wash. Shit glow stick era DX at that; state of it.

Saturday Night Fever Era Rock AND Poundland DX can both get in the bin tbf. 

Wonder if Seth turns heel on The Codester tonight. 

41 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Nah. Nothing could do that for me. Unless she came out with the Chili Peppers obviously. 

Mami California. The Eradibip-bop-badicator.

The production on the show was fantastic. From the stage, to the entrances to the video packages, it all looked big time. Rhea and Becky was a great opener, I do like a match in natural light. I noticed that they both had what I assume was an 8K introduction in the ring, but nobody else did for the rest of the night. 

The dreaded Prime logo, after initially bristling over how shit it is, was quickly forgotten about. I barely noticed it for the whole show. 

The ladder match to determine which team has the shittest name (it’s New Catch Republic obviously) did nothing for me. I’ve absolutely had a titful of multi man ladder matches. Within the first minute, people were lying down on the outside. The ladder that Grayson Waller went through snapped and had pink insides. What are these things even made of? A-Town Down Under (fuck sake) won one set of belts and then completed disappeared for the rest of the match. Nice to see Truth get a win, even if it is with The Miz. The intro video with Pretty Deadly proved that they should have been in there instead of some of the other useless goons. 

The Lucha match was fine. Completely forgettable. Joaquin Wilde saying “this is my WrestleMania moment” before his dive though. Berk. Don’t tell us that, just do it. I was quite excited at first when those two big lads in masks showed up, thinking it could be some new debuts or a return. Nope, some random football players who anyone outside of America won’t know. 

Lil Wayne was laughably bad. Followed by the worst match on the show. Poor Usos. Should have sent Rikishi out to put a stop to it. I’m convinced this was deliberately bad to drive up sales of whatever those cock and ball wipes that they were advertising on the ring apron. Only the third brother vs brother match? Damn you Michael Cole, you’ll make the Brothers Of Destruction sad with remarks like that. 

6 woman tag was also just okay. Kairi Sane is rubbish, but Jade looked the business. 

Sami and Gunther was incredible. I loved Sami’s entrance, even if I did want Chad at ringside quoting Mickey. Sad that they didn’t have Ludwig Kaiser announcing Gunther. I wanted to hear him shout “deeeeerrrrr”. A nice happy ending. Surely they wouldn’t give us two happy endings in one weekend? If Cody wins tomorrow (he is), Gunther would be a decent feud for SummerSlam. 

With an hour and 20 left on the show, it’s main event time. I loved it. It was everything I want from wrestling. Rock looked great and him threatening to have the ref fired was brilliant. Cole’s line when Rock got the pin, “Cody is screwed” was marvellous. They need all the bells and whistles tomorrow. Everyone needs to be involved. Rock, Jimmy, Jey, Heyman, Solo, Punk, Seth, Drew, Randy, Owens and Sami. Fuck it, get Cena, Daniel Bryan, Edge, anyone with any link to the Bloodline story for the past 3 years. A rock bottom to Mama Rhodes is a must too. 

3 great matches, 4 not so much. Can’t wait for tonight. Cody is winning. He is winning, right?

Right?

7 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Nope, some random football players who anyone outside of America won’t know. 

Both played for the Eagles. The "hometown sports star pop" is something WWE have done forever, and in a pretty inconsequential match it was absolutely perfect for them to do it there.

• Paid Members
Just now, SuperBacon said:

Both played for the Eagles. The "hometown sports star pop" is something WWE have done forever, and in a pretty inconsequential match it was absolutely perfect for them to do it there.

In a world where it feels like every facet of American life dominates western culture, I’m always a little relieved when watching something like Wrestlemania and being reminded of  how many American celebrities and pop references mean absoloutely nothing outside of north America.

In the minority again around here, but I really like Samantha Irvin's announcing - I love the energy and drama she adds to everything and she looked stunning out there.  In the context of Wrestlemania and 74,000 people it made every event feel big.

And it felt HUGE didn't it - the production was outstanding, great stage, great entrances, loud and passionate crowd.  A company firing on all cylinders.

And it was a GOOD PPV, even if you forget it's only half of Wrestlemania.  Great women's championship match, fun tag scramble, I skipped the Usos, and Sammy Zayn v Gunther was extremely well done.  Pro wrestling 101 but it worked on the big stage.

If the idea was to make Jade Cargill look like the second coming of the Ultimate Warrior, they succeeded.  That was her first match in WWE, right?  She looked great, and her v Bianca Belair is an obvious main event for a PPV later this year.

As for the main event... amazing, had me jumping off the couch in places.  I think everyone was wondering how The Rock would fair in a full match, well he's answered all those questions and more.  He looked really good in places and seemed to get better as the match progressed.  The kip up from the Spinebuster into the People's Elbow looked like it shaved 15 years off his age.  

Loved the brawling through the crowd, loved the Rock threatening to fire the ref, loved the result as it keeps my dream of a full Attitude era schmoz tomorrow night.  For me, that match was everything pro wrestling should be - drama, big stars, chaos, unpredictability.  

Bring on the main event tomorrow.  I'm hoping for Austin, Moxley, Dustin Rhodes, fuck it bring out Undertaker and HHH.  After the last few months of build-up and tv, I'm willing to just let WWE cook (as the kids say).  Let's hope Rocky is sticking around for the next 6 months, there are so many permutations of matches if he's in this form and willing to work as hard as he did here.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Rhea's theme music is fucking awful as well and I think less of her that she likes that band. 

Text from my mate last night presented without comment 

9AB5A82C-CF39-4394-8BCE-2CFC2C74D4B4.thumb.jpeg.b42895f4abb18a21baaa0f3dd2be4323.jpeg

I thought it was a fantastic show to be honest. Other than the Uso dud, which really was terrible, every match delivered for me. Absolutely loved the ladder match, Gunther vs Sami and the main event.

Rock looked soooo much better than I thought. I was imagining him sweating bullets and gassing big time but I thought he was great. Bit slow, as Ian on Twitter said “hes moving like Tony Khan when there’s a decision to be made”.

Looking forward to tonight, hoping for a batshit main event with Cody coming out on top. And I can’t recommend watching it alongside Ian’s live tweeting enough, he’s funny as fuck

Edited by waters44

• Paid Members

You can count the truly great ring announcers on not even a full hand and while I wouldn’t consider Samantha Irvin among that elite few, she’s a far sight better than some of the plain shite we’ve had in recent years. Lillian Garcia and Tony Chimel were probably the last decent ones and even those I wouldn’t put in the same bracket as a Howard Finkel or Gary Michael Cappetta. 

• Paid Members

I genuinely have absolutely no idea why people are shitting on Samantha Irvin, I think she's fantastic. Looks incredible, strong voice, doesn't fluff her lines. Not sure where she's supposed to be going wrong.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I genuinely have absolutely no idea why people are shitting on Samantha Irvin, I think she's fantastic. Looks incredible, strong voice, doesn't fluff her lines. Not sure where she's supposed to be going wrong.

To be fair, she's very good at what she does. She's clearly made the decision/been told to be hyper-dramatic, theatrical and involved.

You can see in how WWE share videos of her overreaction ringside to various moves or whatever, that they want a character-ring announcer.

So it's not fair to say she's bad, she's a very good version of what she's chosen to and/or been asked to do.

But, I think it's a marmite style. I much prefer a more passive, muted ring announce who's got a sort of reverence for the moment, and compliments the product rather than being an active part of the product/drama.

But yeah, if you're into that style I'm sure she's great at it.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz