Wrestling Awards - Match of the Year 2023

Wrestling Awards - Match of the Year 2023  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

@Frankie Crisp Gunther vs Sheamus vs Drew will split its own vote being on there twice! Though you could always count them collectively 

(Not that it matters, Swerve vs Hangman is the winner)

Oh bloody hell. Right, that's been fixed and I think I've caught any other dupes elsewhere. I was trying to do this and have my tea before the match, but I should have just waited until we're 0-1 down after 2 mins and done it at a sensible pace. Cheers for catching this one early!

• Paid Members

Yup, Hangman vs Swerve. Felt completely and utterly spent after that. Could not take in the rest of the show because it had asked so much of me as a viewer. Obviously the blood drinking and the one of a kind crowd reaction to it will stay with me forever, but it was everything about this. The emotion, the hatred, the way it brought out the best version of Hangman we’d been missing and put Swerve alllll the way over the top as THE guy. It was a masterpiece. I said at the time Swerve staple gunning himself with a look of psychotic defiance on his face was one of the visuals of the year for me, and I can’t recall anything that beat it. 

I should add that Gunther has been in my top 5 in the world since I saw his match with Jordan Devlin from OTT in 2018, so it feels mad to be voting for anything other than his mania belter, but Swerve vs Hangman felt like more than a great wrestling match, a different animal entirely. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

had to go with Swerve/Hangman. The Omega/Ospreay matches and Gunther/Sheamus/Drew felt like extensions of matches we'd seen before, so there was less that stuck in the memory, while Hangman/Swerve felt like something utterly unlike anything else I saw on a mainstream wrestling show this year. Possibly the best deathmatch ever by a major US promotion.

• Paid Members

Hangman/Swerve was a genuine work of art.

I typed 'was like a work of art' and then corrected myself. If wrestling is an art form, which I believe, then this was absolutely that. It actually took me through emotional responses watching it, and it was also somehow believable, and heightened beyond reality, and absolutely thrilling all at once.