Putting the FUN in funerals!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That's interesting, as it's possibly answered a question that's bugged me for a while: Kenneth Williams did an interview (I think with Parkinson) in which he got all hufty at being referred to as a "Methodist", saying his family was "strict Wesleyan". As I understood it, the Wesley brothers adopted the term "Methodist" in response to it originally being used mockingly while they were alive, so it seems odd that there would have been that kind of schism so early on.

the village I grew up in had a CoE church, and a Wesleyan Methodist chapel (though I think that has now closed), but the church also had a wooden bust of John Wesley in it, carved from a tree he apparently used to preach under nearby. A number of nearby towns and villages had Methodist chapels too, so it seems to have been a pretty widespread order in those parts, even remaining somewhat integrated into CoE traditions. 

The significant schism for the likes of Kenneth Williams may well have been Primitive Methodism; that was a much more working class movement, with more focus on collectivism and community action. They merged with Wesleyan Methodism in the 1930s, though given Kenneth Williams being the good Tory that he was, I can see that being a point of distinction that his parents would have taken very seriously. 

• Paid Members

Can't do better than Gladiators but at my grandpa's funeral, my uncle got up to say a few words, tripped getting onto the raised platform where the lectern was and in a split second disappeared through a curtain to the left. Unseen by everyone but me and my gran. The gasps as we both erupted in laughter is a sound I'll take to my own grave and still makes me laugh now. 

My uncle is a top seller too as he stayed down for the remainder of the service, only reappearing for the handshakes on the way out. Still hasn't said where he went or what he was doing. 

Edited by Lenin

My Nan's funeral was last week, and my father decided to see my Grandfather's plot before the service.

As we walked around, we heard a "flap, flap".

Dad's shoes decided to impersonate flip-flops minutes before he was due to carry the coffin.

Dad spent the rest of the day walking around with just card holding his shoes together, hoping nobody would notice.

Not as funny as some of your stories, but a much needed chuckle on the day.

Not my story but my gran once told me a great story about a funeral she attended when she was early teens. To set the scene all of my grans family are extremely religious, including her so funerals were a time for everyone to be serious. 

My gran seemingly had a rather ferocious aunty who ruled the family and was very much the Matriarch of the family, she always speaks well of her but made it very clear that she was not to be trifled with. The flip side is that she also had a elderly aunty who gave zero fucks about annoying the Matriarch.

From what I can gather the funeral was for one of the uncles in the family, direct relation to the matriarch aunty and second or third relation to the aforementioned elderly aunty. 

Come funeral day my gran is sat with her favourite cousin as they very Catholic funeral rumbles along. It comes to the point of the coffin being sent through the curtain (I think in those days the coffin was transported on a conveyor belt thing to the crem area but I may be mistaken) either way there is a mechanical fault and the coffin gets stuck half way between the two places, there is an audible gasp from the congregation until a stern glare from the aunty silences everyone, well everyone apart from the elderly aunty who very loudly proclaims “I knew he wouldn’t go, always been a bloody awkward bugger”

My gran and her cousin were doubled over laughing but got a right old bollocking later that day by the more ferocious aunty. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been seeing a hilarious story, in a way, doing the rounds on social media at the moment of this funeral being broadcast on Zoom and one of the viewers not realising that a Zoom call is a two way video. The family and service is going along all fine and dandy and this Doris is merrily standing in the shower shaving her armpits and suchlike without a care in the world. 

Apparently she rocked up at the wake nonethewiser and within about 15mins she's balling her eyes out with shame and embarrassment. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Been seeing a hilarious story, in a way, doing the rounds on social media at the moment of this funeral being broadcast on Zoom and one of the viewers not realising that a Zoom call is a two way video. The family and service is going along all fine and dandy and this Doris is merrily standing in the shower shaving her armpits and suchlike without a care in the world. 

Apparently she rocked up at the wake nonethewiser and within about 15mins she's balling her eyes out with shame and embarrassment. 

Are you doing exclusively death and funeral content these days?