Tony being a money Mark

26 minutes ago, coolhandpuke said:

cocaine tone

26 minutes ago, coolhandpuke said:

Mark billionaires son

Proud The Karate Kid GIF
Proud Of You Yes GIF

Welcome to the forum. 

Pro wrestling is so much more enjoyable, once you stop giving a fuck about what others think.

For the most part the discourse on here is much better than anywhere else, imo. Get off twitter and stop reading YT comments. 

Mostly loved Dynamite, easily the best post-PPV episode they have ever done. 

Jericho should fuck off to Everest, with Darby.

• Paid Members

Take that with a pinch of salt. Tokyo Sports kayfabes a lot. It’s a bit like a Japanese Apter mag. 

Thing is Tony can afford to just chuck money like that at people. He couldn't care less. I think WWE are a little more savvy when it comes to business and paying over the odds these days. Sounded like that was part of why they didn't settle with Mercedes/Sasha, although who knows what's true and what isn't. They paid a ton for Charlotte apparently so they obviously think she's worth it.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think WWE are a little more savvy when it comes to business and paying over the odds these days

Of course. They have shareholders they have to answer to. TK doesn't have to answer to anybody so can do what he likes.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it's true though, either. 

It's undoubtedly cobblers. The newspaper prints everything in kayfabe including its year end awards that are celebrated inside the Japanese industry like they're the Oscars even though essentially it just prints what the industry wants it to. They inflate everything from contracts to attendances to make everything sound bigger time than it is and will report on any bullshit they're told, like that Kurt Angle vs Kenta Kobashi match being signed that was clearly never, ever, ever happening in 2003. It reeks of New Japan telling them to print that an astronomical figure like that is what it took to tempt Okada away from the "King Of Sports" / look how valuable the MVP of Japanese wrestling is that he can command that much cash by going to the States. I wouldn't give it more than a seconds thought.

Regardless, the thought that any promoter would believe any one wrestler would be worth that much money is unfathomable. Bret Hart was only worth $3 million a year of Ted Turners money in 1997 when business for WCW was peaking. Even adjusted for inflation, nobody's paying $4.5 million a year for any wrestler in 2024. You'd have to be out of your fucking mind, there's no ROI there.

Just now, air_raid said:

It's undoubtedly cobblers. 

You'd have to be out of your fucking mind, there's no ROI there.

We're talking about Tony Khan, mate. You think he WOULDN'T chuck that much at Okada? 

As you said, WCW gave £3 million a year at Bret Hart - that's the equivalent of £5.8 million now according to a quick Google check.
Okada is not Bret Hart but to Tony, he is. He's the guy that sold out the Tokyo Dome with Kenny Omega and had all those 7* classics.

Even if it's $1 million a year there's no ROI. You know Jericho's on way more than that and there's no ROI with him either.
Tony's not concerned about ROI. He's the son of a billionaire. The money he's giving Okada and (reportedly) Mercedes Mone is peanuts to him.

No wonder everyone in AEW publicly kisses his arse. I would too. Fuck, I'd rim Tony Khan in the middle of the ring (pardon the pun) if he was giving me that kind of money.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I remember Meltzer crunched WWE's numbers a while back and concluded pretty much everyone is being massively underpaid for what they bring in and what the company makes. I don't believe that figure is true, but I hope it either is true or that enough people believe it's true. Get these lads their bags. Imagine how DM Hunk is feeling. A contract year, in a World Title match at Mania, peaking as a performer. He probably fell asleep laughing last night.

Edited by Supremo

31 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I hope it is true. I hope every wrestler rinses every promoter for as much money as possible. 

In NJPW he was said to be on around $2m a few years ago. Which for the top star in a company with revenues in the $40-50m would hardly be surprising. That'd be tied to the yen unfortunately for him (2019: $1 = 109yen / 2024: $1 = 147 yen).

No doubt he's in a better financial position than before. Unless its the old WCW contract information I take any public statements on money as purely kayfabe.