AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I really like Jake being aligned with Rush. I hope this leads to Rush getting a big push, he’s so underutilised for someone as talented as he is.

Agree on Rush. Very talented guy. You'd hope a mouthpiece and an alignment with Mortos would really help him break through. But then worry a bit, because it feels like no-one breaks through.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don't care for the mask either, but I do really enjoy his matches. I especially love his dive spot where the opponent staggers back from the momentum.   

He’s definitely talented, it’s probably more accurate to say it’s his presentation that I’m not a fan of. 

3 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Rush is brilliant, it's been so stop start with him over the past 12/18 months though for some reason.

Wondering if it's too late for anyone to really care about him anymore unfortunately. 

I don’t think so - wrestlers have recovered from similar or worse. Daniel Bryan was positioned as a worthless nerd before he caught fire, JBL was a lower card nothing, Becky Lynch was treated as the wrestler who wasn’t as important as Charlotte, Sasha or Bayley and Toni Storm didn’t mean much until she became ‘timeless’. 

Jarrett wasn’t great on commentary, but I do enjoy AEW trying new people on the announce desk during Taz’s absence. I’m not sure a promotion has take  a Have I Got News For You-style approach to colour-commentating before, but I like the idea if that’s what they’re doing, and I hope it continues until Taz returns. 

On the subject of Jarrett - I’m putting this out there right now - we’re approaching the UKFF Awards, and when it comes to the best babyface category, I think he might be the right answer to the question of who wins this year. He may not have always been the most prominent babyface, but that’s obviously not the criteria. I genuinely don’t think anyone has played the good guy role better than him this year. And I’ll bet if he ever got wind of the biggest wrestling forum in the UK naming him best babyface for 2024, he’d be genuinely touched. 

• Awards Moderator

I didn’t love this show. Felt very choppy, like a bit of a scramble to build something exciting for Saturday. It didn’t make me any more interested to see Wrestledream.

Darby-Brody segment was not good. If they are breaking Brody away from House of Black and/or turning him Babyface, maybe it’s okay to completely puncture his character. But otherwise, having Darby rather than Malakai be responsible for bringing him in and having the big scary brute just be a dad trying to provide for his kids? No thanks. He spent ages trying to get out of the shadow of that snarky promo line Cody Rhodes did about how dare he come into the company with the name Brody, this is equally bad - unless they’re making him big scary good guy family man. I don’t know what they’re doing here.

Women’s match didn’t do much for anyone, especially Jamie Hayter who already feels wasted. I didn’t expect Penelope Ford to suddenly turn up again after … years? It must be years. Wasn’t Mariah meant to be doing something with Britt Baker this week? Did I make that up? I’m sure the Willow match will be good but the result’s a foregone conclusion and it’s hard to be bothered.

Hologram’s match lost me. If your whole thing is “sensational high flyer”, you absolutely have to do all your sensational high flying perfectly, every time. Otherwise, what else have you got? Hologram messed up his footing a couple of times here and didn’t look quite so sensational anymore. I get that every thing he does is exceptionally athletic and to even half be able to do it is incredible, but his entire gimmick is based around it so it really stands out if it’s not quite right.

Jake Roberts in charge of the lucha bad lads was unexpected too.

Daniel Garcia’s promo was okay, but only because I’d read speculation on here he might be leaving. If it wasn’t for here I’d have wondered what he was on about. He’s aiming high - great! Then immediately gets into a thing with Shibata, who has been presented on … the same level Garcia was already at. Cool.

They’re trying to do some stuff with tag teams - Private Party, Top Flight - but the tag division is really suffering from having the Bucks as champions. It’s the same issue WWE had for so long when they’d make Brock champion and he’d fuck off for weeks at a time. The champions are presented as too good for the rest of the division, especially because when the Bucks have been around this year, they’ve been with the top level babyfaces, so every other team feels lower card by comparison.

If the Archer signing with Callis thing is leading to him and Takeshita forming a big nasty bastard tag team to solve this problem, then that’s exciting. But as people pointed out already, where was Lance during that Ospreay segment? Really weird he didn’t show at all. If Don had just said to Lance “we’re a done deal, take the rest of the night off” backstage that would have closed the plot hole.

I actually miss Excalibur running through entire upcoming cards at speed. I can’t really remember half of what’s on Wrestledream.

I know Emi Sakura is a legend, but she turns up on Dynamite so infrequently the crowd was absolutely dead for her. Or maybe that was the after effects of Mercedes’ music, which continues to be the worst thing in the company and kills every crowd that hears it. Statlander and Kamille is a bit more appealing but the sudden babyface turn for Stat is so silly.

The quick offhand mention that Killswitch is out with a serious medical condition was weird. Is that real? Or is this part of the Taz attack? Which isn’t real? But the knee replacement is. I think?

Main event was a good TV match but did nothing to raise my excitement levels for Danielson-Moxley. I’m not convinced enough that this is the end for Bryan, and, as Pat’s said, if you start with attempted murder how do you build for another month from that? I bet Moxley wins now. Still bothers me that despite all the segments on the show that rely on ‘real life’ knowledge, there’s been zero acknowledgement of Renee and Mox being together while he’s been trying to kill people and hanging out with another woman (in a professional context I guess) all the time.

Not my favourite episode but I’m glad some people liked it!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The quick offhand mention that Killswitch is out with a serious medical condition was weird. Is that real?

Sadly yes, he was hospitalised with pneumonia and it's damaged his heart and he may never wrestle again. Terrible. 

• Awards Moderator
26 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Sadly yes, he was hospitalised with pneumonia and it's damaged his heart and he may never wrestle again. Terrible. 

Oh no - that really is terrible. Hopefully he’ll recover and get back to strength quickly.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

When I first heard this, it sounded worryingly similar to Brodie Lee. I really hope he recovers well from this, and even if he can’t wrestle, I hope AEW finds a role for him - and I’m sure they will. For all his faults, Tony Khan is very good at that kind of thing.

Edited by RedTwoster

• Paid Members

Out of hospital, but still on oxygen and still high risk, so not out of the woods yet. I think it's fair to say that hoping he recovers well enough to live a long and normal life is far more of a priority and far more important than whether he can ever wrestle again at this point.

On the Taz attack, I saw someone on Twitter (not just a random, a usually fairly decent wrestling journo) suggest that AEW were burying the angle by acknowledging that Taz was out for knee replacement surgery. But that's not true at all. When Excalibur said that Taz had been attacked, he added that Taz had texted him to say that his knee was pretty messed up. It's pretty clear that within kayfabe the attack is what prompted him needing the knee surgery.

Someone just sent me this, and God I hope there's a bit of work in this. Danielson ramping up the drama.

If there's even a kernel of truth to it, I hope they find him the nearest off-ramp and let him say his goodbyes.

After all he's given to us, he deserves to enjoy his retirement.