AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

On the one hand they are very Tiktok famous and the guy is a trained wrestler, but on the other I am too old and grumpy to TikTok and I despise the Costco Guys with every fibre of my being. At least it's just the one match I guess. 

• Paid Members

Ideally, WWE will have exclusivity on every large arena in the country, forcing Tony to book some smaller, weirder, more interesting venues. Nobody will complain if we move out of the empty echoey arenas. Go film on Jericho’s cruise again. About all he’s good for.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Ideally, WWE will have exclusivity on every large arena in the country, forcing Tony to book some smaller, weirder, more interesting venues. Nobody will complain if we move out of the empty echoey arenas. Go film on Jericho’s cruise again. About all he’s good for.

I read something the other day that the reason they still go to bigger arenas then they probably need is they are often way more accessible to travel to than the smaller venues. I’m sure one of the issues with the All In Texas announcement is that is nearly impossible to get to unless you drive. But of course in reality smaller, packed out venues would be better than half empty larger ones.

Deal has been confirmed. As expected Rampage is missing from the materials. Dynamite & Collision will be simulcast on MAX as well as TBS & TNT. PPVs will be on MAX at a discounted rate compared to other outlets. Variety went with the figure of around $150m p/a

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/aew-stream-on-max-rights-deal-warner-bros-discovery-1236166277/

Going to be a long night as TK's tweeting about a 30 minute or more overrun.

• Paid Members

Great deal for them if you're a US watcher, but unless we get MAX it's pretty irrelevant to us in comparison to the WWE Netflix deal.

Aye nothing really changes for us in terms of how we watcg, got all we need on Triller, long may that continue, amazing app!

But, in terms of AEW itself and it being a success and maintaining itself as it is, a deal like this is good news in general for an AEW fan.

5 minutes ago, FLips said:

Great deal for them if you're a US watcher, but unless we get MAX it's pretty irrelevant to us in comparison to the WWE Netflix deal.

WBD is tied up with Sky until the end of 2025. You might have noticed a legal dispute breakout between the two over co-productions, as Sky are hoping to extend the rights but WBD seem determined to launch MAX in the UK.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

As someone who doesn't have a clue, what does that mean for them in an exposure way? More eyes potentially, or just better timeslots etc, I really never understand TV/streaming deals very much.

TNT/TBS is available in something like 70m+ homes in the US. Skews older and part of your cable package. However you might want to consider that in the era of youtubeTV/SlingTV. Could be one a 100+ channels and you never actually watch it or know it exists. 

MAX is around 50m+ and rising. Skews younger. Fans on the West Coast should be able to watch it live without the 3hr time delay. A service you should know you have and AEW could be featured prominently on the home screen raising awareness that its available. Especially when its live and want to make it visible.

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s a positive news for the US market. More importantly, it’s a positive result for AEW and fans. But being simulcast on Max is definitely a big deal as watching it on replays was only possibly with the TNT or TBS app and was supposed to be a crap app.

The discount PPV’s is not great news for people hoping they would be on max for free, but considering they pay around $50/60 at the moment, any reduction on that should see that also grow. And the last renegotiated deal was rumoured to be $80m, so almost double, before any of the extras, is great.

Now that’s done, I wonder if there will be any news on that show rumoured for the Fox family now Rampage is going…

• Paid Members

I'm honestly so bored of the Heel commentator gimmick.

Two and a half hours of Nigel McGuinness yammering and making himself the centre of attention all evening is a punishment. Ended up playing music with the commentary muted for the most part because he was just becoming awful.

I don't tune into much AEW, more highlights, twitter videos the likes, but has he always been this bad or is it a more recent occurance? 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Dynamite 02/10/24

I bloody love the new Mox/BCC vignettes. Another chilling promo from Mox. Shafir speaking Russian is an interesting one. I think it's a cool idea but it came across as unintentionally funny to me here. She looks great with the outfit/make up/serious face, don't know if she needs to talk in this role. 

Belting match from Ospreay and Ricochet. Playing the hits, fun call backs to previous matches and some breath taking new sequences and counters. I don't think it's even in the top 5 Ospreay matches this year though, such is the standard he's set. The tease of the draw and THEN the Takeshita run in was a decent way to get out of the finish I suppose. The double fall itself was a bit silly though as they weren't really both pinning each other despite all shoulders being down. That said, although they blatantly told me Takeshita was going to interfere before the match, they still managed to briefly convince me otherwise. So happy to see Takeshita doing something notable. 

Mone's best of Dynamite montage was solid heel shithousery. Getting her represented by MVP so he can handle the promos is probably a wise move though. She just cannot sound like a human being consistently, it's so bizarre.  

I hate that Mark Briscoe's Wrestledream match is a singles match against Chris Jericho, the Jay Briscoe stuff was the cheapest heat ever, but by god if Briscoe didn't get me invested in him whupping Jericho's ass. He is far too good for this shit. The graphic confirming more Learning Tree Bullshit for OC and Kyle on Friday was also a downer. They better have something outstanding cued up for the Conglomeration after this. 

Tremendous promo from Darby. Really liked him explaining his self-sabotaging behaviour by admitting he simply cannot help himself when someone tries to bully him. Taking the loss on the chin, showing some vulnerability and self doubt, affirming he's going to bounce back. Excellent stuff.  

Cracking scrap from Hangman and Juice, a real low down dirty brawl and rightly so. I can't recall Juice having a better singles match in AEW. Trying to murder a guy and then low blowing him in the revenge match, Hangman finding new lows every week. So happy with the Jay White return, amazing fire from him. A small detail but I appreciated Juice selling that he didn't know Jay white was in the building either, I did feel that needed addressing in some way. 

Jack Perry, what a little shit eh. Him vs Shibata should be good. 

Effortlessly great last minute promo for the Okada match from Danielson. 

Uncle Tony ribbing Nigel about the "thank you" throughout the Deeb/Baker match was delightful. Well earned payback for pretty much every episode of Collision they've called together. Match was solid. Serena Deeb was a good choice for this one, very simple stuff with Deeb leading and working the leg against Baker's sympathetic home town hero. Lovely to see Aminata on Dynamite. 

New music, new gear, new attitude, I am fully on board for this much needed Private Party overhaul. Good job, Moxley. Stokeley getting in on the act works for me too. If Chris Daniels really wanted to piss off The Bucks he could have booked the tag title match they just ducked, but guess we can't have everything.  

Looks like we are getting Original Hurt Business then? Would have preferred MVP recruiting some fresh faces for it. Love having him on the shows overall though, such a good talker. 

I thought we might get a bit of mystery as to who attacked Taz, but instead we got an immediate confession from Christian. Refreshing to see Hook doing something other than FTW title and/or Jericho nonsense.

Mariah's promo was good! Her best one as champion. Better delivery, no heel 101 dissing of the town, just very logical points against her next opponent and a great heated confrontation with Willow to follow up. Liked this a lot. 

Okada/Danielson I'm sure will be divisive due to the pacing but I thought it was excellent until the very anticlimactic finish. Other than that I loved it. Okada's smug shithousing gradually turning to frustration and outright rage as it went on was fantastic. Felt like the first signs of the fire being lit under him again. I love heel wind up merchant Okada to death but it was still an exciting development to see him all riled up at the end of the show. The pop for Yuta made me so happy. Again, loving everything about the Mox stuff at the moment. The Mox/Danielson part of it is great on its own, but it's also elevated Darby, Pac, Yuta, Shafir and even Private Party. Superb. 

Enjoyed that episode a lot. The Mox angle and all associated threads have me hooked, I loved the opener and the main event, Hangman/Juice was great, Deeb/Baker was solid, The Iron Savages got destroyed in two minutes. Lots of stuff to like. I thought it could have done a better job of feeling like a big landmark anniversary show though. The clips of classic Dynamite moments were fine but didn't hold a candle to the work being done in the UKFF thread on the topic. 

Edited by JLM