AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

My dream scenario is Hangman winning the gauntlet and trying to help Swerve keep the title….only for Bryan to pull out a win anyway.

Hangman’s all about “doing what he has to do”. Imagine he compromises his morales and helps the person he hates more than anything and he STILL doesn’t get what he wants.

It’s astonishing that, when AEW started, I wanted nothing but nice things for Hangman and now I want to see just how psychotic he get.

And I bet when he gets through Swerve and turns the out and out baby face again, we'll all still love him just as much! 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If only Ospreay had a bracelet, this would have been much harder to screw up.

You scoff Scorchers but the WWE audience are more invested in that bracelet than anyone is about 99% of the titles in WWE or AEW. 

• Paid Members

Look lads, we don’t know for sure whether Bryan Danielson will win it not. But what we do know for certain is that he’s going to need all the support he can get. So if everyone attending live can give him big cheers and a few extra, “Yes,” chants, I’d really appreciate it.

Bryan Danielson is gonna win, whether he wants to or not!

IMG_9265.jpeg.ae454ad0fbc3cb5b2e63f88b02366fe7.jpeg

For me,the main difference between the two promo segments (and I might be stating the obvious here), is that Bryan was talking TO Swerve and his focus was Swerve, we just happened to be listening in. 

Whereas MJF and Ospreay were more focused on popping the crowd than talking direct to each other, and for the characters they are I'm not sure that worked as well.

On the one hand you're saying completely straight, no matter what country you ask in, people will say you're the best wrestler in the world, but then you're popping the crowd with Gavin and Stacey references which mean nothing to your opponent

Don't get me wrong, both styles work in context, I just think in isolation it doesn't work for the MJF and Ospreay match here. 

Also agree it was very jarring hearing Ospreay slating the product and MJF. ..especially as before he cheated MJF took him to his absolute limit in match one. 

In other similar feuds like this you tend to see it end with begrudging respect in the rubber match, but I don't see how they get to that. 

Anyways...I'm sure the match will be a banger and Ospreay gets the home win. 

Can't wait to see Bryan win the belt live...surely...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Duke said:

A few people have said this, and I sincerely hope it's just normal pro wrestling behaviour getting into people's brains, because the idea of Hangman helping Swerve is awful. He wants Swerve to have nothing, he doesn't care how it happens, and he'd far rather Swerve lose to Danielson than hold that belt any longer. It pains him to see Swerve with that belt, he wants him to lose it and then lose everything. 

I don't think that's true, though. Maybe it was, once, but now Hangman is so far gone that it's not enough for Swerve to lose everything, he has to be the one to take it from him.

Why else is he taking out other people in the gauntlet? Why else did he agree to be in Blood & Guts? It's not enough for Swerve to suffer, Hangman has to be one doling out the suffering.

21 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think that's true, though. Maybe it was, once, but now Hangman is so far gone that it's not enough for Swerve to lose everything, he has to be the one to take it from him.

Why else is he taking out other people in the gauntlet? Why else did he agree to be in Blood & Guts? It's not enough for Swerve to suffer, Hangman has to be one doling out the suffering.

On paper, I like that idea, and the logic behind it - my worry would be that if they were to take this approach within the match, it wouldn't translate well from idea to execution; and it would end up confusing the crowd and even the audience at home. You could tie up the loose ends on Dynamite, but I think there's a high enough possibility of it creating an unsatisfying ending that it just wouldn't be worth doing. Not with the retirement stipulation, anyway. 

Edited by RedTwoster

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Because he still wants to get his hands on Swerve, and winning the Gauntlet is the best way to do it. That's why he went into Blood & Guts after losing the Owen, just to get his hands on Swerve. Taking the belt off him isn't the point, making Swerve bleed and pay is.

Even if we accept that though, if there's a ref bump and he goes and buckshot's Swerve leading to the pin, that's still him getting vengeance on Swerve, he doesn't have to wait for a match to do it. The idea that he would help Swerve to save him doesn't fit the hatred and rage in Hangman. 

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

You scoff Scorchers but the WWE audience are more invested in that bracelet than anyone is about 99% of the titles in WWE or AEW. 

And that’s because, as history has long shown, the majority of people are idiots. Insert Garth Marenghi image.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And that’s because, as history has long shown, the majority of people are idiots. Insert Garth Marenghi image.

WWE is Swerve to Scorcher's Hangman.

It was always going to end in disappointment when speculating on the 4th Trios team for the All In title match. I wasn't expecting the random plug during Castagnoli v. Okada match for Top Flight/Lio Rush v. PAC/Claudio/Yuta on Collision as the qualifier.

Undercut the Continental Title match that had just started. Plus had me wondering if I had missed some backstage segment or internet only vid for Claudio & PAC suddenly teaming up. As ever since Blood & Guts last year they had been at odds in the few interactions they have had.

Claudio should probably join the Workhorsemen as he lives up to the name by AEW standards.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

In this case its not that the people are idiots it's that the storytellers have done a better job on one side than they have on the other. I'm sure if you'd been alive in the 19th century you'd have spent all your time calling Hans Christian Andersen fans idiots because they didn't embrace the gritty edge of the Grimm Brothers, and I don't mean Ron and Don Harris, though I'm sure they were big fans of The Jew Among Thorns. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

In this case its not that the people are idiots it's that the storytellers have done a better job on one side than they have on the other. I'm sure if you'd been alive in the 19th century you'd have spent all your time calling Hans Christian Andersen fans idiots because they didn't embrace the gritty edge of the Grimm Brothers, and I don't mean Ron and Don Harris, though I'm sure they were big fans of The Jew Among Thorns. 

Who’s done a better job exactly? Because my frustration with the WWE side of things is literally they have 2 wrestlers who are great at telling stories reduced to fighting over a fan made bracelet. There feud was doing just fine but someone at WWE clearly thinks a visual aid is the only way people can buy into stories. Punk and Drew were doing just fine.

IMG_3884.jpeg

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Which promotion is the  cleverest and most bestest of them all? Let's settle it right here, right now, in the AEW Dynamite Thread. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Duke said:

Because he still wants to get his hands on Swerve, and winning the Gauntlet is the best way to do it. That's why he went into Blood & Guts after losing the Owen, just to get his hands on Swerve. Taking the belt off him isn't the point, making Swerve bleed and pay is.

Even if we accept that though, if there's a ref bump and he goes and buckshot's Swerve leading to the pin, that's still him getting vengeance on Swerve, he doesn't have to wait for a match to do it. The idea that he would help Swerve to save him doesn't fit the hatred and rage in Hangman. 

I'm with you on this. It's external media but in that Paste article he was clear that Swerve holding the title is an image he can't abide, that he wants it taken from him more than he wants to win it, and then for him to lose everything else. So I could see him intervening to try to get it off him (and helping Danielson) but him interfering so Swerve retains doesn't fit for me with his presentation so far.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'm with you on this. It's external media but in that Paste article he was clear that Swerve holding the title is an image he can't abide, that he wants it taken from him more than he wants to win it, and then for him to lose everything else. So I could see him intervening to try to get it off him (and helping Danielson) but him interfering so Swerve retains doesn't fit for me with his presentation so far.

I’m torn, because both scenarios make sense. Does Hangman cost Swerve to take away his prized possession, or does he help him retain because he wants to beat Swerve for the belt in a double whammy? I’d prefer option 1, but wouldn’t be mad at option 2.