AEW Dynamite Thread 2024

DavidB6937

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Garcia could be a top guy for AEW and must stay. I'd be heartbroken if his talent went to waste in WWE.

I doubt WWE has much interest in some of these guys other than knowing it hurts AEW to sign them away.

Although I do have my doubts about how Garcia would fare in WWE, I find it hard to gauge exactly what 'a WWE wrestler' is these days, as Triple H's tastes are clearly very different to that of Vince McMahon. Amos has disappeared from TV, as has Braun Strowman. Baron Corbin barely features, and Jinder Mahal has been released. On the other hand, Chad Gable has become a very prominent part of Raw, Pete Dunne is on every Raw these days and Johnny Gargano was given the chance to get over as a singles act (but did not...) 

Before he left the company, Ricochet was also treated as a bigger deal. 

I could absolutely see Daniel Garcia fitting Triple H's personal tastes, but whether or not that translates into success on screen is very hard to gauge. I don't think Garcia has enough charisma to connect with a WWE audience in any significant way. I can see why he'd want to roll the dice, though - his push has been very stop-start in AEW, and a sustained run higher on the card seems overdue (as it does for Takeshita, Rush, Penta and several others)

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Since the Continental Classic I don’t think Garcia has been wasted by AEW. He’s not ready to be world champion but he’s been in the mid card/upper mid card mix and has a feud with MJF lined up if he does re-sign. I know MJF’s current run is not exactly his best work, but the broader point is that Garcia’s stock has been rising to a level where he’s been mixing it up with the likes of Ospreay and MJF. 

Penta, Fenix and especially Ricky Starks I can certainly see why they’d feel like they’ve hit the ceiling in AEW, but Garcia it’d be a shame to throw away the long term groundwork they’ve been laying for him. 

Also Danny Garcia in NXT without Daddy Magic would make me very sad indeed, so I really hope it doesn’t happen. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

Before he left the company, Ricochet was also treated as a bigger deal. 

That one is not the same as the others though. Ricochet was getting a push to try and get him to re-up his contract. Sure H³ may like him but it was more likely he was trying to keep him away from AEW. 

Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

That one is not the same as the others though. Ricochet was getting a push to try and get him to re-up his contract. Sure H³ may like him but it was more likely he was trying to keep him away from AEW. 

But that still marks a change in approach. In making an effort to keep Ricochet, they placed a value on him that they simply hadn't under McMahon. And realistically, WWE doesn't need Ricochet - and neither does AEW. They demonstrated that they wanted to keep him even though they didn't need to. 

In addition to that, under McMahon, WWE casually released wrestlers without giving two shits about what that would mean to AEW if they signed them - more significant wrestlers than Ricochet, like Bray Wyatt and Brawn Strowman; alongside the likes of Miro, Andrade and Malaki Black. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

I find it hard to gauge exactly what 'a WWE wrestler' is these days

That's an interesting point. I think the most recent batch of new NXT sign ups is probably a clue - they're mostly super athletes with little if any wrestling background. I think for the most part the future of WWE is veterans getting brought in to NXT to get the newbies ready for the main roster with only a small selection of the veterans being brought onto the main roster. Either way the ceiling for Daniel Garcia in WWE is very low but I'd say the sky's the limit in AEW.

38 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It's currently going to waste in AEW.

He's had a great run since the Continental Classic and he was one of the top stars of that. Garcia's character work in the Continental Classic was brilliant. The way he gradually turned his silly dance from something that was holding him back to an act of fiery babyface defiance was genius storytelling.

16 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

In addition to that, under McMahon, WWE casually released wrestlers without giving two shits about what that would mean to AEW if they signed them

I genuinely think Vince cared very little about AEW while Triple H clearly does. He's probably still holding a grudge that Dynamite beating NXT in the early days led to him getting told off, humiliated and demoted by Vince.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I genuinely think Vince cared very little about AEW while Triple H clearly does. He's probably still holding a grudge that Dynamite beating NXT in the early days led to him getting told off, humiliated and demoted by Vince.

While I don't 100% agree with the first part I do wholeheartedly agree with the second. H³ has skin so thin you can read through it. He definitely isn't one to forget a past humiliation. 

• Paid Members

My favourite thing about the Wednesday Night Wars will always be how Hunter went from this, rallying the troops and talking about being in a foxhole, to trying to brush the whole thing off once he got demolished.

Doing interviews with Helwani, sarcastically going, “congratulations, you beat our developmental brand. We weren’t even trying, actually.” Brilliant.

They’ll definitely hold a grudge for that. Screw your Blockbusters, Tony. Shawn and Hunter threw a kettle over a pub. That’s the real quiz.

I'd rather a separate thread but Triple H, as nice as his human moments are is a real petty shithouse who has never been able to get over his desperately trying to be the cool one even into his retirement. I'd love to remember who said it but someone described DX once as some genuinely cool characters and and HHH as the older uncool brother who happened to have a driving licence.

• Paid Members

I really like Daniel Garcia but he's much more likely to get a higher spot in AEW than WWE because Tony Khan is more likely to push guys with no charismatic presence as long as they can have a great match. Then again, WWE is much more likely to be able to find his character and maybe that is what would appeal to him about a move there, even if they didn't use him in a prominent position.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Tony Khan is more likely to push guys with no charismatic presence as long as they can have a great match.

I may be misreading it but are you saying Garcia has no charismatic presence? Because I definitely don't think that's the case. He's not a big, larger than life character but he's not just a "good match" guy, there's always been lots of character and emotion to his matches. In fact I'd say he's shown more personality and dimensions in AEW than he ever would be likely to in WWE, where most characters are big but fairly one note. 

EDIT: but also I know you don't watch week by week so you may have missed a lot of the above.

For his own development though, if anything a stint in NJPW would probably benefit him more than AEW or WWE.

Edited by LaGoosh

He's easily one of my top 5 in AEW both in the ring ad for his personality but I always imagine him to have a scouse accent, he looks like he should come out in Nike trackies.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I may be misreading it but are you saying Garcia has no charismatic presence? Because I definitely don't think that's the case. He's not a big, larger than life character but he's not just a "good match" guy, there's always been lots of character and emotion to his matches. In fact I'd say he's shown more personality and dimensions in AEW than he ever would be likely to in WWE, where most characters are big but fairly one note. 

EDIT: but also I know you don't watch week by week so you may have missed a lot of the above.

For his own development though, if anything a stint in NJPW would probably benefit him more than AEW or WWE.

Could not agree more with this.

He is an accomplished technical wrestler, but his matches are often "good!" because I am so invested in his story and desperately want him to succeed. If/when he wins a singles title for the first time and hugs Daddy Magic, there is a very good chance I will shed a tear. That wouldn't be because of any non-kayfabe reason like a retirement or a comeback from a career threatening injury, it'd be purely because of the story they've told of his search for an identity, his struggle for confidence and self-belief and the growth his character has shown over time. He won't give you a Mark Briscoe promo where he can barely contain the manic energy and charisma as it pours out of every orifice, but his promos are authentic and, as LaGoosh says, he conveys so much emotion through the matches and the way he carries himself. He's an excellent in-ring story teller, and not just in a star ratings "remembers to sell the leg" sort of way, but more his ability to convey how much it all means to him. 

I'm not the only person on here who routinely refers to him as "my boy Danny Garcia" and it's not because he is good at technical wrestling. AEW has so many "good match" guys that it's almost the default. There is so much more to Garcia than that. 

• Paid Members

I think Daniel Garcia is one of the few people you can point to in AEW who has massively excelled, grown as a character, and moved up the card accordingly. Him and Daddy Magic are the only people to have not only escaped the Jericho Vortex, but come out of it better! Absolute madness to think that he's been wasted, or that WWE would be a better fit for him, he has potential to be one of AEW's genuine homegrown successes.

He has a built-in return feud with a former World Champion and someone AEW consistently position as one of the company's biggest stars. What's on the table for him in WWE? Joining the No Quarter Catch Crew and slumming it in NXT? Or being a face in the crowd on RAW?

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think Daniel Garcia is one of the few people you can point to in AEW who has massively excelled, grown as a character, and moved up the card accordingly. Him and Daddy Magic are the only people to have not only escaped the Jericho Vortex, but come out of it better! Absolute madness to think that he's been wasted, or that WWE would be a better fit for him, he has potential to be one of AEW's genuine homegrown successes.

He has a built-in return feud with a former World Champion and someone AEW consistently position as one of the company's biggest stars. What's on the table for him in WWE? Joining the No Quarter Catch Crew and slumming it in NXT? Or being a face in the crowd on RAW?

AEW has a tendency to give wrestlers like Garcia opportunities, then not build on them so the opportunities don't end up meaning much. Takeshita beat Omega, it didn't lead to anything for him. Wardlow demolished MJF, and that ended up meaning little. Brody King had a tremendous Continental Classic and has felt on the verge of stepping up the card several times - and it just hasn't happened. Garcia himself has wrestled a lot of the top stars and had several performances that you could consider breakout; but these typically have not led anywhere. It's probably - in part - a symptom of a crowded roster, but I can understand why he'd feel frustrated. 

As far as jumping to WWE goes, while I lean towards your view as far as him being an odd fit is concerned, I can understand completely why almost any AEW wrestler would look at the thin WWE roster and fancy their chances. It's probably a low risk move for someone like Garcia - if it doesn't work out, Tony Khan would probably bring him back in a heartbeat.