US politics

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

11 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Turns out she is going to pack it in. So it's going to be Trump v Biden, the rematch that literally no one wants. 

Yeah, just saw that.  Disappointed but it costs an absolute fortune to run these campaigns, so maybe she figures that wins in two states is enough to have made her point.

Looking at polling and vox pops it seems that all these court cases are actually helping Trump with voters, to whom he is successfully able to spin a story about being the victim of a political witch hunt. US voters who are naturally suspicious of federal goverment (and that's a popular view) feel that Trump is being bullied just as they feel bullied by the state.

We're looking at a trial over the insurrection charge in, what, September?  The assumption of the liberal press is that this will negatively affect Trump but I honestly think it might do the opposite.  They need to turn this around, and push the message that the ONLY reason Trump is running again is to try and avoid jail.  If they can persuade voters that he's a criminal, they can beat him - otherwise I think he's going to win.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So it's going to be Trump v Biden, the rematch that literally no one wants. 

Somebody photoshop the Alien vs. Predator poster.

Edited by Devon Malcolm
it's alien

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Gubernatorial is such a great word

Language trivia: 

"Gubernator" is the Latin for "governor", and it comes to Latin from the Greek κυβερνης (kubernes), meaning "helmsman".

Transliterated slightly differently, the letter upsilon being either a "u" or a "y", the same word reads "kybernes" or "cybernes", where we get the word "cybernetic" from.

Edited by Carbomb
Edited to add, but I'll pretend I did it to piss off Bacon.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Up there with filibuster.

If we are playing Bombcars language trivia game then filibuster comes ultimately from the Dutch: vrijbuiter meaning freebooter or pirate. I learned that on The West Wing. 

• Paid Members

I don't think anyone who didn't vote for Trump in the last election is likely to vote for him this time. But I think what'll make this election is if the same people who voted for Biden last time are likely to vote for him again.

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't think anyone who didn't vote for Trump in the last election is likely to vote for him this time. But I think what'll make this election is if the same people who voted for Biden last time are likely to vote for him again.

Yeah, Trump won big but he won big with the republicans who bothered to vote. I’m hopeful that isn’t reflective of the full picture. 

• Paid Members

I think I read that primary turnout for both parties is down, as always come the general election turnout will be key. The Republicans have worked hard over the past 4 years to make it more difficult to vote with the ID requirements, obviously because it affects likely Democrat voters more. One of the crazy results of last night was the Democratic primary on American Samoa. They don't get electoral college votes but they hold a primary. Biden came 4th. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, Trump won big but he won big with the republicans who bothered to vote. I’m hopeful that isn’t reflective of the full picture. 

My feeling is that a lot of the stuff with the courts etc is playing well with his base but is it making any differences elsewhere? Has his base grown since the last election?

Also I don't understand why the average American thinks Bidenomics is a terrible failure when pretty much every financial analyst across the globe thinks it's a success. I wish they had it over here. Am I misunderstanding it or is it just a case of Democrats failure to present it properly to the average American/Republicans successfully changing the general narrative around it?

3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Has his base grown since the last election?

There is talk of a rise in the Latino and young black male demographic but I can’t help but wonder if that’s down to them being so unusual in terms of MAGAs that they get loads of the spotlight. Like when UKIP wheel out Asian supporters, that sort of thing. 

16 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

One of the crazy results of last night was the Democratic primary on American Samoa. They don't get electoral college votes but they hold a primary. Biden came 4th. 

(Not) Samoa Joe.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is talk of a rise in the Latino and young black male demographic but I can’t help but wonder if that’s down to them being so unusual in terms of MAGAs that they get loads of the spotlight. Like when UKIP wheel out Asian supporters, that sort of thing. 

I don't know as well as someone living in the US, but I get the impression from political commentators that the Republicans enjoy a lot of support from the Latino communities; they seem to take it as a given that there is a heavy conservative presence, possibly connected to modern Catholicism.