US politics

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

• 4 weeks later...

Every Monday throughout the election year, Jon Stewart is back hosting The Daily Show.

Stewart divides lots of people (personally I love him), and this shows he is the still the best at what he does.

I am pretty sure this has been covered here already, but it is frankly quite mental that the two choices are 77 and 81. 

I don't want to be ageist but I will be, that's too old to be a president. At that age you should be sat in a chair, eating Murray Mints all day and waiting for Countdown to come on, then go for a nap.

Anyway, great segment.

I distinctly recall Biden intimating that he'd only serve one term as President, during the 2020 campaign.  The whole idea was for him to beat Trump and for the Democrats to have 4 years to fix some shit and, crucially, build up a suitable candidate for 2024.

They blew the second part at least.  Biden is too old, and unfortunately he serves to make Trump look less old and bonkers by comparison.  If Trump wins the election, in my opinion this will have been a major factor.  Who honestly looks at Biden and thinks "Yup, he's read for 4 more years"?  They are relying on people wishing to keep Trump out at all costs, that's a risky strategy.

• Paid Members

It blows my mind that anyone would even want to keep working at that age, let alone probably one of the hardest jobs in the entire fucking world. I'm not even 40 and I would retire immediately if I could.

• Paid Members

Well Trump has always said he has $400 million dollars cash in hand. We are about to find out. $354 million dollar fine in the New York fraud trial. Also barred from holding directorships in New York for 3 years and probably worse for him, unable to get loans from any business chartered in New York.

Of course there is going to be an appeal, but that does not mean he doesn't have to pay because of the appeal, in New York you have to start paying straight away. 

Trump cares about money more than anything else, this will be killing him. 

It won't because he never pays his fines.  He never pays court orders, he never pays his lawyers, he never pays contractors.  He just keeps piling up debts forever.  Nobody ever actually does ANYTHING to him that in any way affects his day to day existence.

It reminds me of the Daily Show with John Oliver, and their "Gotcha" banner.  It's never gotcha.

• 2 weeks later...

He supports election integrity so at least he admits Trump tried to overturn the results of the last election, right?

The US right now is like the prequel bits of Handmaid's Tale.  We're about 10 months from them voting in a fundamentalist Christian cult into office and everyone's buying coffees and going to work like it's normal.

The 2025 Project, which represents the GOP plan for post-election, is genuinely terrifying.

https://www.project2025.org

Plans include dismantling the FBI, eliminating the Department for Education, deploying the military for domestic law enforcement and so on.  

Edit: what's their motto you ask? "freedom is defined by God, not man".  Under his eye...

Edited by Loki

50 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Super Tuesday is a big day. I suppose Nikki Haley will have to withdraw from the race after today. Trump will obviously be buoyed by thst but his problems are more financial in nature at the minute. 

I don't think she'll withdraw until the Convention, if she can afford to keep going.  She's gambling that Trump falls foul of the law somewhere between now and November leaving her as the only obvious alternate candidate.  So getting votes in all the states leading up to the Convention solidifies that claim.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Loki said:

I don't think she'll withdraw until the Convention, if she can afford to keep going.  She's gambling that Trump falls foul of the law somewhere between now and November leaving her as the only obvious alternate candidate.  So getting votes in all the states leading up to the Convention solidifies that claim.

Turns out she is going to pack it in. So it's going to be Trump v Biden, the rematch that literally no one wants.