The Garden Centre Of Earthly Delights

Lion_of_the_Midlands

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

They've got them in Germany. Almost identical in concept, except the breakfast is guff. 

Disappointing on the breakfast front, as it seems to have been established as a major factor for most. 

I am also slightly ashamed to admit that I don't know what the "Full German" breakfast would consist of, or if there is such a thing. 

German food is awful, the worst in the world imo.  Breakfast seemed to be dry brown bread, insipid slices of cheese, you know - the shit you ignore on the breakfast buffet table when travelling.  I was also unfortunate enough to spend a week in Bavaria, where the food is terrible - boiled cabbage, awful sausages, shit wine.

There's a reason nobody ever thought "I should open a German restaurant".

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'm making an assumption here but the garden centre in the guise that we all know them is strictly a British thing? Is there a Vietnamese equivalent @simonworden 

Yeah pretty much, there are plant centers here and I've seen 1 in my whole time with a cafe. In some tourist towns in the mountains they have something more akin to pleasure gardens which do sell some of their plants, have shops with random tat and usually a cafe or two but not quite the same experience 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

German food is awful, the worst in the world imo.  Breakfast seemed to be dry brown bread, insipid slices of cheese, you know - the shit you ignore on the breakfast buffet table when travelling.  I was also unfortunate enough to spend a week in Bavaria, where the food is terrible - boiled cabbage, awful sausages, shit wine.

There's a reason nobody ever thought "I should open a German restaurant".

I wouldn't want to make a sweeping generalisation, but my experience of German food when I was there wasn't much better than this. In addition, I fucking hate sauerkraut and pretzels are boring as fuck.

Swedish food isn't much cop either though. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

The chain Hermann ze German was pretty good - bockwurst/currywurst hotdogs with crispy onions. Lush.

Also, German-style doner kebabs are becoming increasingly popular; they do pretty good beef kebabs, which you don't get very often - it's usually lamb or chicken.

But yeh - for the most part, can take or leave German cuisine. Beer's pretty good.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

I was also unfortunate enough to spend a week in Bavaria, where the food is terrible - boiled cabbage, awful sausages, shit wine.

Yeah, but the Bavarian slice is absolutely the best thing you can get from Pound Bakery.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Despite the name, I believe it's French. 

It's basically a mille-feuille isn't it, so certainly French in origin.

Although if we get into the reality* of the product.... it's not really a Bavarian slice from Pound Bakery anyway as it has plain icing without the chocolate chevrons.

creamcakes2.jpg

* By which I mean the level of pedantry only I care about.

• Paid Members

I used to live a couple of doors down from a donner place, they did amazing lahmacun (?) and from what little I understood it was always beef.

Good times, I'd occasionally walk to the shop just past it for what I needed and a bottle of wine, drink half the wine walking to the donner shop, get tea and finish the wine on the way back to the house to eat and a have a short nap.

When I was last in Germany the food was brilliant. Had an amazing sausage in a bun with a nice ice cold German beer sat atop a castle. Then we went to this weird 3 star hotel near our B&B for dinner and the food was massive (I had 2 giant schnitzels and the wife pork chops) and amazing with masses of potatoes, sauerkraut . I'd be shocked if any UKFFer could pass it up.